Timber frame prefab Companies

Invader75

7 hours ago, craig said:

Agreed, they are one of the best kits and companies to deal with around.

We used them and I unreservedly agree with this sentiment. Out of all the trades we had onsite, we only had one person onsite (the electrician) who worked as hard or I trusted as much. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jack said:

We used them and I unreservedly agree with this sentiment. Out of all the trades we had onsite, we only had one person onsite (the electrician) who worked as hard or I trusted as much. 

+1 The MBC guys are working away on my roof as I type (Sunday). The atrocious weather of the last few weeks has put them behind but they haven't stopped once. Working in the howling wind and pouring rain, 7am to 7pm every day. I really can't fault their work ethic and the quality so far seems very good, they've had a few problems with the frame design but they don't seem to let it worry them. Brendan and his brother in particular are bordering on super human. Watching them makes me feel old, fat and unfit :) 

• Like 2

Got to say I'm amazed how many of you are seemingly allowed to have work ongoing on Sundays. We're only allowed to work on site from 0800 to 1800 Monday - Friday and 0800 to 1300 on Saturdays. No Saturday afternoons, no Sundays and no Bank Holidays. We can't even push a paintbrush inside the house out of the permitted hours.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NSS said:

Got to say I'm amazed how many of you are seemingly allowed to have work ongoing on Sundays. We're only allowed to work on site from 0800 to 1800 Monday - Friday and 0800 to 1300 on Saturdays. No Saturday afternoons, no Sundays and no Bank Holidays. We can't even push a paintbrush inside the house out of the permitted hours.

We're not supposed to either! We're breaking the rules. Thankfully the house is relatively sheltered from near neighbours and out of public sight (unless you know where to go to look). The MBC guys know that one complaint to the national park and we'll be back to agreed hours. There's 10 of them on site with nail guns today. Oooops. 

Yesterday I was running around in full on "peace keeping" mode with bunches of flowers to near neighbours. £200 in flowers (so far) wasn't in the budget :/:) 

Right I need to go and wash the grill pan after making 20 rounds of bacon sandwiches. Tea is in shifts as I only have 6 mugs :D 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2017 at 10:09, NSS said:

You are most likely building in a residential/built up area?

We have private builds being erected at the back of our house. I have no problem within building but I do have an issue with two factors.

• One the ground is to high and the Groundworks could a come down 2 / 3 metres to reduce ridge height and help with privacy.
  • Two, we all live in disabled housing for various reasons. Privacy is a huge part but so is peace and quite.

We have had to report contractors and clients to environmental health. We've had them turn up at 6, start the generator, cement mixer etc. and not be offsite until 9pm and working til 5 on a Saturday. Common courtesy should mean the clients/builders tap the door and ask if we mind, explaining they need to do some work.

Would we? Of course not, but they are rude, ignore the rules and have been burning rubbish on site and toileting outwith the porta loos.

These rules are there for a reason but if you are in a residential/ built up area, ask the neighbours.  They generally wouldn't mind if explained.

Edited by craig

@craig, yes we are indeed in a residential area, and I quite understand that we need to respect neighbours, but I fail to see why it needs to be so stringent. I applied to the LA planning dept for the restriction to be relaxed on the basis of internal work only, involving no use of power tools or hammering, etc, but got a flat refusal (and our neighbours would be on the phone to them like a shot if they saw us on site out of the permitted hours).

@NSS That's unfortunate about the neighbours. 

What has annoyed myself and my neighbours, is the client is trying to do this on the cheap and calling in favours and doing most work out of hours (at least he was).

The first building went up (other builders, clients) was purposely built using old plans, where the patio doors at the back had been refused and we reported it but the council ended up approving it on an amendment. Builders have obviously done this in the past, several checks are in place before kit goes to production.

In our case you can understand neighbours concerns.

Edited by craig