Osmo UV Protection Oil vs Danish Oil

Temp

Anyone used Osmo UV Protection Oil Extra on exterior oak?

Our exterior oak has been treated with Rustins Dainish oil but I'm looking for something a bit lower maintenance.  

As I guess you have found, Danish oil won't last, it is formulated to soak into and bring out the grain but it dries out and fades so needs regular topping up. I use Danish oil on some of my cabinet making / bowl turning and its great for creating a look reasonably effortlessly. Osmo UV has a very good reputation will be using it on our cladding.

• 5 years later...

Just wanted to follow up on this old thread..

I ended up sanding off all our external oak (a massive job) and then repainting it with a coat of Dainish Oil for colour then 3 coats of OSMO UV Protection Oil.  The OSMO is turning out to be way better than Dainish Oil. On freshly cut oak the result is a bit too white rather than honey colour hence the first coat of Dainish. 

I recently noticed some areas I did back then were looking a bit grey and I thought it might be time to recoat. On closer inspection the grey staining turned out to be dirt! I ended up using a small pressure washer to remove it and the OSMO underneath looks as good as ever. 

• 3 weeks later...

We had a Cedar clad house built in 1956. Now demolished but some idiot had put wood preservative on it and it looked rubbish.

We are rebuilding from the ground up and are required to also clad in Cedar. I know if you oil it it will require a recoat every X years,
and obviously if you leave it to silver it will do just that. Talking to the builder yesterday he said that the microporus treatment was a 
one time deal and kept it looking coloured. I've looked at a house he clad a couple of years ago that had the microporus treatment and 
it looks fresh as new. Does anyone know how long it will actually last as that statement seems too good to be true. Fankly with 200m2+
of Cedar cladding we were not planning on any coating and letting God have his way!

He did say it had to be a microporus treatment that was specifically formulated with and for Cedar, not some generic coating.

Any useful info appreciated.

• 3 months later...
On 02/09/2022 at 11:23, CADjockey said:

He did say it had to be a microporus treatment that was specifically formulated with and for Cedar, not some generic coating.

Not sure if you’ve already progressed past this, but OSMO oil is microporous and they do make one with UV protection that should mitigate bleaching/silvering AND it’s specific for cedar:

https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/HA4760J?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMGcBhCSARIsAIW6d0AJ1o5j2UFqyhsGRB6afHpBJKrmZBpzeEI5ysGCLFZthXqgrGZo8_oaAl-cEALw_wcB

Actually, scratch that. I think it is “cedar coloured”.

Edited by Adsibob