How bad is this roof?

Am thinking of bidding for a property in an auction.  Know I need a surveyor for proper advice anyway.  But before I spend money, on the face of it from these photos how bad is this roof?   Looks like flat roof on both slopes (sorry dont know technical term) need replacing to me.  But what about the main bit.  Does it just need a good clean and any loose tiles replacing or a new roof.   The house was built in 1962 ish and looks like the only roof work done was relating to the dormers (in a conservation area so everything needs planning). 

Cheers

image.png

Thank you.  No leaks as far as I can tell, unless they have taken generous pics...I;m viewing on Saturday so will be having a good look  but I know nothing about roofs!   This could be a great rest of life house for us so just working out what my bid limit would be so i dont get carried away 🙂

Zoom in on the left hand picture. Just above the ridge there appears to be some sort of grill/vent that looks a bit odd.

Edit: or is it the reflector of a TV aerial?

Edited by Temp

No I am going to view it on Saturday but have noticed evidence of potential damp (peeling wallpaper) in an upstairs bedroom on a video of it.  I think the grill/vent is the aerial view of the tv aerial.  I did a drive by a few days ago but couldnt see the extent of the roof issues on that

1 hour ago, Happystrummer said:

have noticed evidence of potential damp (peeling wallpaper) in an upstairs bedroom on a video of it. 

Would that be the back bedroom with a dormer? It looks like dormers to front and rear and the latter seems to have lost its felt completely.

Rather than a surveyor get a hold of a good roofer and pay them a couple of hundered quid to come with you.

If those are the original tiles and you are doing this as a long term investment then expect to re tile and batten + membrane, you'll probably have plans for the attic anyway to try and make more space?. The nails on the tile battens will be a bit sick in places.

The flashing, verges, fascia boards and chimney flashing are probaly past their best anyway. What you need to also check is the roof timbers for rot and wood worm.

You need to go and see it and get into the attic with a good light.

Lastly check how many habitable bedrooms there are upstairs, the width of any existing staircase and the building regs on stair case requirements for the number of habitable rooms in the attic. That may have an impact on how you develop the attic (if that is what your are thinking) and what you may need to reconfigure on the ground floor to make a stair compliant.

For an overview of the tiles:

Are many missing or broken?

Are they all the same colour (Concrete tiles fade, so repairs may be visble)

Are they in straight lines along the roof, especially as they overlap the gutter?

Are there any sags in the roof (best seen looking at an angle).

It isn't so much the tiles that tend to fail, as the battens beneath, or the fixings.

Same as my house. Concrete tiles, with a few broken.

The valley one does need replacement....or at least shoving back in temporarily.

Generally pretty good, but far from new and will need repairs from time to time.

The change in line from the end ridge cap to the next one is more than i would say was normal, and seems to be reflected all the way down to the eaves. Tht is good in thaat it prevents water from runnin g over the gable edge, but just looks more than i would expect.

I don't mind the moss as it slows the flow a bit. It will need clearing from the gutters once  a year but makes decent mulch. Also these tiles will release sand so the gutters will have sludge, which also needs clearing.

Not zero risk, but looks pretty good.

53 minutes ago, Happystrummer said:

prob going need a new roof

Really? With your own money?

I would allow for some future repair in your costing, and hang on to the money for something more useful.

Consultants, valuers and roofers will likely  tell you it is high risk, and that reduces their liability for any future issues.

My roof was apparently retiled 70 years ago. Despite some slipped tiles, and even some failed battens, it is holding on, and has never leaked.

We bought it 30 years ago at which stage the previous purchaser had just pulled out having been told to replace the roof.

Has to be your shout though.

The covering on the dormer at the back looks a different colour to the others so make sure your surveyor checks it.

The main roof looks fine save a few rafters / battens sagging near the gables.

Also the house has had retro fit cavity wall insulation and this can sometimes lead to damp issues so check for this.  Sadly I think many of the warranties are worthless.  A coat of StormDry on the outside of any affected walls would probably solve any issues if they are caused by saturation from rain crossing the cavity.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The covering on the dormer at the back looks a different colour to the others so make sure your surveyor checks it.

As I said above, it looks to me like the felt might have come away and is laying crumpled up against the sloped roof. A good strong  gale might have done it.

Yes it looks like the felt has come off the back dormer.  There is blue tarpaulin currently covering as we sneaked round the back last week!   Thank you for the heads up re insulation and damp.   Its probate so possibly limited or no information or guarantees.   There is reference to the dormers in building control and planning records but seem to be from 1976 and 1988 so I'm thinking unlikely. 

I agree with what’s been said above, however at that age it probably could do with a re felt and batten (the felt usually fails before the tiles and so does the nails and battens), so not a new roof but a recondition (I have done loads of these). Whilst the scaffolding is up worth getting the flat roofs re done properly. As said above get into the loft and inspect the roofing timbers if you can. Saying all that my brother was bothered about his roof some 20 years ago and he asked me to take a look, up in the loft you could see various spots of daylight shining through so I asked him if it leaked? and he said no. I said “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it “ and its still not leaking to this day 🤣

So went to view today.  There is leaking through the roof but only through the dormer roof at the back from what I could see where the felt is right  off,which is now tarpaulined over badly.  It has done some damage inside to the floor  and celing upstairs in one room and hallway.  From sleuthing it appears the house hasnt been lived in since Dec 2020 so surprised its not worse than it is.   I think its well worth a punt at auction.    Inside its mainly decorative issues, some repointing on one wall, checking out the retro fit insulation, which it definitely has and new kitchen/bathroom.   Thanks for  all the pointers.  Certainly helped with the viewing today.