Arc Welder

Onoff

18 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Looks great - we will all need one to weld the country back together in the morning. I have a decent welder on my list of needs so will give this a serious look. 

Shout if you want to have a play with it and I'm sure I could sort something (I'm near Sevenoaks). 

Going to be borrowing for a play at home. Done loads for work over the years with my tools so only fair. Tbh it's easier bringing stuff home sometimes so I don't have to faff with hot works permits. 

Maybe I'll finish the wacker plate!

Inverters are SO much nicer to weld with than transformers. Watch the warranty carefully- smaller/ cheaper ones only have one PCB that does everything and a chargeable replacement generally costs more than a new welder. This onle looks like a good choice tho.

Treat youself to the scratch TIG kit and some Hobbyweld gas if a lot of stainless is on the to-do list 

44 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Inverters are SO much nicer to weld with than transformers. Watch the warranty carefully- smaller/ cheaper ones only have one PCB that does everything and a chargeable replacement generally costs more than a new welder. This onle looks like a good choice tho.

Treat youself to the scratch TIG kit and some Hobbyweld gas if a lot of stainless is on the to-do list 

3 year rtb warranty on this one from a known seller. Bought following good comments over on the mig welding forum. Back when I was first looking it was the XTS 160 I was looking at but as I take so long deciding things it's evolved into the 162! 

Nice that it'll cope too with an input voltage of +/- 15% so should be alright off a gennie. 

They do a dual voltage version the XTS 162 DV but that's limited to 130A on the 110V setting.

Also a big brother 200A version available.

As I said I stuck a blue plug on the actual welder lead & made an adapter lead up so it'll run off a dedicated 16A socket for heavier duty or a normal 13A for light stuff.

20170609_073139.thumb.jpg.844fdc8f9ea5c2724ef3dbbb8f2678a7.jpg

Trouble is, is I borrow it this weekend the bathroom won't get finished! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm that this Parweld XTS 162 is impressing whoever has tried it so far. Uses less amps for the same result that their own heavy, traditional buzz boxes. 

This is work's one but I'm going to buy my own plus the add on TIG kit for it now. The BiL is I think up for one too. (Might get a discount!)

AND it means I can finish the WACKER PLATE!

...well at least get the welding done! 

Pics to follow...don't wait up! :)

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Can the wacker plate be adapted for grouting ?

I sense a bathroom dig again? :)

My excuse at the moment is I don't want to do anything in the house noise/dust wise so as not to distract No.1 son from his A Level revision. So I'm getting away with the tree house, playing with cars etc.

I did drag him out yesterday to help change the wishbones on SWMBO's Pug though. We have to be careful with him in strong sunshine in case he bursts into flames though! I love shouting "Stick to the shadows!" 

His last exam this week so I suppose I'll have to get back into it! ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, you get a one week leisure pass. :)

Leisure it ain't working on the daily drivers! :(

I want to be in the garage working on the Capris with the MIG having made a rollover jig (got all the steel and a couple of farm jacks) with the arc welder. Then getting a cold one from the glass fronted DIY beer fridge.