Overseas PV

CotswoldDoItUpper

I’m considering PV and batteries from Alibaba. Now I’ve bought many things from Chiba before so I’m aware of the process/pitfalls of importing things. 

my main question is quality. Surely if they’re CE rated and last for only 10yrs rather then 20years like other brands but are significantly cheeper then it’s not the end of the world?

is there anything else I should be aware of? Has anyone else tried this?

thanks!

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

China Export.

CE is a self certificate scheme, if I remember correctly.

CE marking is potentially meaningless for a personal import from outside the EU. If something dodgy injures you who you gonna complain to...... a company in China whos name you cant pronounce.

As mentioned a few years ago rumour has it chinese companies were using a very similar CE mark that they said was a "China Export" mark and noghing to do with European CE marking

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

CE mark is not the issue.  The Inverter must be on the approved list and have a G99 certificate for connection to the UK grid.

like your cheap grid tied inverter?

Got something similar as do loads of people……

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

CE mark is not the issue.  The Inverter must be on the approved list and have a G99 certificate for connection to the UK grid.

I assume that the same applies for a G98 certificate for under 3.68kW inverters?

I also assume that I could get correctly certified inverter in the UK (as they seem less scarce!) and have it fed by any PV panel? 

3 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

I also assume that I could get correctly certified inverter in the UK (as they seem less scarce!) and have it fed by any PV panel? 

Yes. Have a look on the ENA inverter database for any make/model youre thinking of buying to verify the G98 cert.  If a manufacturer has bothered to type test and certify their inverter, Id be fairly comfortable buying their kit

21 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

I’m considering PV and batteries from Alibaba. Now I’ve bought many things from Chiba before so I’m aware of the process/pitfalls of importing things. 

my main question is quality. Surely if they’re CE rated and last for only 10yrs rather then 20years like other brands but are significantly cheeper then it’s not the end of the world?

is there anything else I should be aware of? Has anyone else tried this?

thanks!

If you spend x number of pounds and they need replacing in ten years 

Will you have saved enough on your energy bill to cover your initial outlay 

Our Sap is still only predicting a few hundred pounds per year saving

Or am I missing something 

If they faze gas out They will have to make the shortfall up somewhere 

Though it’s looking like a big IF at the moment 

To quote our Architect At the moment From a financial point of view PV doesn’t stack up 

But who knows what may happen in the future 

Edited by nod

If your inverter is not G98 or G99 approved then you can sit it behind a Mainspro protection relay which is G99 approved, to make the figures work it will need to be second hand and with the 1.6.1 firmware although the ALoMCP upgrade program for commercial sites allows 1.6.0 firmware to be used and the settings altered to match the default 1.6.1 settings.

The Mainspro will take over the Grid tie disconnection duties but it must be between the inverter and the incoming supply. 

31 minutes ago, nod said:

To quote our Architect At the moment From a financial point of view PV doesn’t stack up 

Let us say that you can get PV installed at £750/kWp.

A kWp will generate between 850 and 1050 kWh/year, depending on where in the country you are, and how well orientated your system is (any fool can make a PV system fail).

Assuming that 50% of the PV is self use (the other 50% helps to keep others bills down), then that is, in effect, £1500/kWp.

Taking a ten year life (which is very low) that is £150/kWp.

Taking a median generation of 950 kWh/year, £150/ 950 kWh/year is £0.16/kWh.

Or 12p cheaper than imported power.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Let us say that you can get PV installed at £750/kWp.

A kWp will generate between 850 and 1050 kWh/year, depending on where in the country you are, and how well orientated your system is (any fool can make a PV system fail).

Assuming that 50% of the PV is self use (the other 50% helps to keep others bills down), then that is, in effect, £1500/kWp.

Taking a ten year life (which is very low) that is £150/kWp.

Taking a median generation of 950 kWh/year, £150/ 950 kWh/year is £0.16/kWh.

Or 12p cheaper than imported power.

and adding in the paltry £0.05 SEG for the exported electricity brings it down to £0.155/kWh. (assuming my maths is correct!) 🙂 

Just now, Thorfun said:

and adding in the paltry £0.05 SEG for the exported electricity brings it down to £0.155/kWh. (assuming my maths is correct!) 🙂 

5p/kWh isn't it.

That makes it 11p/kWh.

Not sure if you can get MCS fitted PV for £750/kWp at the moment, but self installed is a possibility.

In a new build, with a suitable roof, well worth it.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Not sure if you can get MCS fitted PV for £750/kWp at the moment, but self installed is a possibility.

this is true. we paid approx £1000/kWp for our MCS installation not too long ago and I think that the prices have gone up since then. still, using your maths above even at £1000/kWp I still think it makes financial sense, especially when the panels I bought have a 25yr warranty. so even if I get 20 years out of them with the SEG it's looking good!

First two solid quotes.

Obviously change the inverter out for a G98 inverter and double the battery to 6kW. 

Anything else I need to be aware of?  Planning on putting batteries upstream of the inverter (though no idea how yet - still learning!) 

thanks all! 

Bluesun 3.5kw Off Grid Quotation 0820.pdf Bluesun 5.5kwOff Grid Quotation 0820.pdf

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper

13 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

This quote is with a g98 inverter. 
can anyone tell me if it’s ok or complete ar5e? I’ve been sent the official g98 certificate, how do I check if it’s accepted by my DNO? 

You can check the inverter is listed on the ENA database, as above. If its on the database its hard to see how your DNO could refuse to accept your inverter.

For your budget dont forget youll be charged VAT and/or import duty when the goods arrive in the UK.