Tracking solar output?

Superblades

Hi all,

weve just moved into a new build, which has solar PV panels included, however we’ve been given no information about the solar panels (we’re chasing this) but what I would like to know is how do I monitor what the panels are producing (in real time) and how much I’m consuming in terms of current power draw.

We have a smart meter installed but no remote screen.

in terms of the solar panels all I can fathom out is that we’ve got a growatt inverter in the loft (see image)

what else do I need? I’m completely clueless!

many thanks

brendan

495BC3AF-B5CD-4675-8373-6232B9F2907F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Superblades said:

We have a smart meter installed but no remote screen.

Ask your energy supplier for a new one, or depending on the supplier you may be able to track the half hourly usage via the app or on the web. 

Inverter looks like a Min TL-X but can’t be sure. They sell a USB dongle that plugs in the -X series for about £40 which then lets you interrogate the unit via WiFi. Other than that… you’re guessing or having to access the Oled display on the unit. 

In this day and age  with so much  IT  around shouldn’t it be included in a solicitors search ? They search for so much irrelevant shit, but in the current climate  the figures for PV are so important for perspective customers.(especially if the government want to go green and meet their climate / carbon reduction targets.) whatever it’s called targets. IIf you come to sell your house your PV array without figures is  to the major buying market worthless. Based on the (old) fact that on average everybody moves house every 7 years. To me the system seems wrong. The whole plan needs a better incentive policy for the consumer to make it work. Or can the infrastructure not cope? Causing the delays !  

How old is the house?  No generation meter (unless it's remote from the inverter) suggests not old enough to be on a FIT?  It also looks a small inverter so not many panels?

I have yet to find a simple off the shelf energy monitor that shows export as well as import.  I have that function built into my home made solar PV diverter displaying on a simple centre zero meter import or export.

But the rule of thumb for self using as much as you can is use the big appliances like washing machine etc one at a time around mid day, using them on a timer if you are not in.

9 hours ago, Canski said:

In this day and age  with so much  IT  around shouldn’t it be included in a solicitors search ? They search for so much irrelevant shit, but in the current climate  the figures for PV are so important for perspective customers.(especially if the government want to go green and meet their climate / carbon reduction targets.) whatever it’s called targets. IIf you come to sell your house your PV array without figures is  to the major buying market worthless. Based on the (old) fact that on average everybody moves house every 7 years. To me the system seems wrong. The whole plan needs a better incentive policy for the consumer to make it work. Or can the infrastructure not cope? Causing the delays !  

There’s nothing stopping a prospective owner asking for this information during the enquiry process. 

Given that the AC connection has been done in flex, I'd not be expecting more than 2.5kW and even then it'd have to be no more than a meter or so from the ring final... which it joins via??? A 13A FCU??? There ought to be some MCS paperwork detailing the installation somewhere. Nowhere in this install could I suggest safely placing a CT except possibly at the meter tails but that wouldn't show generation, just the full import/export mix.

If its a new build it shouldnt be too hard to track down the spark that installed the system via the site agent/builder.

Failing that if youve not been given an in home display for your smart meter youll likely be able to get one from your eleccy supplier or off ebay. If you want to see what youre generating without going in the loft, you can get simple wireless energy meters that fit round the live conductor of the cable from your inverter and transmit to a small display- have a look at Owl Micro as an example. Youll likely need to get a spark to fit the clamp that measures the current depending on your competancy

22 minutes ago, Radian said:

Given that the AC connection has been done in flex, I'd not be expecting more than 2.5kW and even then it'd have to be no more than a meter or so from the ring final... which it joins via??? A 13A FCU???

Whys that? You can get "flex"/YY cable in a big range of sizes capable of handling much more than 2.5kw.

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Whys that? You can get "flex"/YY cable in a big range of sizes capable of handling much more than 2.5kw.

Not sure why you mention YY in particular. It's a bit of a grey area as to whether their use in UK electrical installations is appropriate for power. They're really regarded as control cables. Here's a relevant review of the situation by Eland Cables But there are Class 2 PVC cables that might be suitable, it's just the photo above made it look a bit on the skinny side.

I must be in a bit of a bad mood today or something. Also I'm still getting to grips with the changes to the 16th ed. where stranded first became acceptable in UK installations. 🙃

6 hours ago, Radian said:

Not sure why you mention YY in particular. It's a bit of a grey area as to whether their use in UK electrical installations is appropriate for power. They're really regarded as control cables. Here's a relevant review of the situation by Eland Cables But there are Class 2 PVC cables that might be suitable, it's just the photo above made it look a bit on the skinny side.

YY = flex which is used for power and control. The Eland cables link  raises specific concerns about the metallic braid on CY and SY but nothing specific about YY. Heres a link to Lapps YY offering which specifically states used for power https://lapplimited.lappgroup.com/products/yy-cable.html

YY/flex is unarmoured double insulated which is exactly the same protection as twin and earth. I think its fair to assume the spark that did the OPs install is comfortable using YY/flex and as its a new build will have almost certainly been signed off by a qualified spark.........you would assume!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I may be wrong, I often am, but I think @Radian was refering to putting a CT clamp on it.

If it was wired in twin and earth or SWA youd have the same problem of separating the live conductor to get a CT round it. Equally problematic with twin and earth/SWA/flex/YY. Theres usually enough space inside a consumer unit to get a CT on the PV live wire, certainly with Owl CTs

Cheers all, the house is a Bellway and brand new, there’s 7 panels on the roof, no idea of the type but I’m chasing for more info.

Scottish Power not taking appointments to get the smart meter setup in my area as they’re too busy.

if I bought a meter off eBay or Amazon would it work? I’ve tried that loop app and I’m getting no data 

I’ve ordered one of those WiFi dongles in the meantime too