Sunamp heat battery

Siochair

Several of us here have them fitted, including us.  They work very well indeed, and have several advantages over using something like a thermal store, especially if you have PV and a low energy house where the much-reduced heat loss is very useful in summer.

Edited to add:

Here's a link to the blog entry when I finished installing the Sunamp in 2015:

http://www.mayfly.eu/2015/11/part-forty-one-hot-water-at-last/

Edited by JSHarris
added link

They've been around since late 2015, but we were certainly one of the "early adopters", and had one of the first few hundred off the production line.  I'd guess that at least two or three others here have also fitted them, too, maybe more.

The MD of Sunamp, Andrew Bissell, is, I think, a member here.  Certainly he contributed a fair bit to the discussion we had a year or two ago on the old Ebuild forum, before it was closed down.  The old threads on Ebuild may be worth a read, if you're interested, although some of the content on the read-only version that's still up is broken:

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/15853-they-are-here-place-your-order-batteries-then-moving-on-to-phase-change-material-storage-units/page__st__120

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/17614-sunamp-pv-vs-thermal-store-heat-loss-comparison/

The Sun amp was featured on the STV news this evening.

They did a very good job of making it look silly and a gimick without even telling you what it was, an efficient heat store. They featured a "low energy house" and showed this magic box that can save you money, then compared it to the chemistry of a phase change hand warmer.

Had I not known what it was, I would be none the wiser, and would not be wanting to find out more. A dreadful bit of journalism and I hope the MD of sun amp cringed when he saw it.

• 7 months later...

Just paid a very quick visit to Buildit Live as just down the road from me. 

Tbh 99% of it out of my league from the Cayennes in the car park to the oak frame "whatever" stands, acres of window companies and heat pump pushers. The hand made clay tile outfits confirmed my position in the cheap seats! :)

Only really went to say hello to @AndyT which I did. Missed him on the first pass as there were a good few people around him waiting to talk about Sunamp. My mate also apparently spoke to him earlier in the day. Figured I can ask most of my questions via here and didn't want to take up too much of his time as it was so busy.

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Yeah I was going to go but I was worried they would tell me the breakers yard was down the road.

It's when the car park attendant says "You shouldn't have turned off the 249 mate...Sheppey's straight on!". 

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those of you who stopped by the stand, I was very pleased to put a face to a name.

My take on the show was; Saturday very busy lots of existing business who were interested in Sunamp being part of the solution.

Sunday far more family groups in the morning - with the threat of snow, lots left early on Sunday 

• Like 1

@AndyT, at the moment I am running my house with the a Willis Heater for the UFH + 2 × SunAmp PV for the DHW. 

One option that we are considering is to use an ASHP for UFH heating / cooling and also for a §unAmp DHW preheat.  The form factor of a conventional buffer tank might be an issue for us.  If you did a micro stack -- that is a couple of PCM cells with a phase change of around 30-35°C and vacuum panel insulated in a form factor of the SunAmpPV.  This wouldn't require any of the pumps, heaters, control logic of the SumAmp PVs , so should be a lower price item than the SunAmp PV and if so  this might be something of interest to us.  @JSHarris, what are your thoughts?

32 minutes ago, TerryE said:

If you did a micro stack -- that is a couple of PCM cells with a phase change of around 30-35°C and vacuum panel insulated in a form factor of the SunAmpPV.

This is what I am getting, sort of, got some more details, I am getting 4 cells each 675mm x 540mm x 342mm, so 3 cells in each.  two are conventional PCM58 (Standard Red cells) the other two are PCM34 target for an ASHP output at around 40oC.  These are acting as buffer for teh UFH and DHW preheat.  So SunAmp now have the designs and setup to create an SunAmp based ASHP buffer/preheat cell.

@AndyT if you contact Joan for details mine are undergoing final testing today for shipment soon.