Completion, Land Registry

Hey all,

Finally reached completion stage, only a couple of things missing (ramp approach as per previous thread), waiting for EPC and then I have pretty much all the paperwork to get the completion cert from Building Regs.

Regarding Land Registry, how does one "update" the deeds so that it now reflects a house instead of only an empty plot? I did try searching for this but came empty, seems a silly question but I have not seen anything on the land registry site

Thanks for the feedback!

My understanding is that there is no need to do this until the house is sold, at which time the Land Registry record will be updated.  This is the same as applies when a house that isn't on the Land Registry records is sold.  A couple of year ago a friend sold a house that had been owned by his parents since the 1960's, and so wasn't registered with the Land Registry, and it wasn't a problem, it was just registered for the first time as a part of the purchase process by the solicitor acting for the purchasers.  Compulsory Land Registration didn't come into force until 1990 in England and Wales, so there are still quite a lot of unregistered properties around, that only get registered as they are sold.

• Like 1

When we bought our plot, the Land Registry paperwork didn't arrive until around 2 months after we completed the purchase, so I think you're right, it does take a long time.  It doesn't seem to have any impact on the time it takes to sell/purchase though, as far as I can see, it's just something that gets done in slow time after the sale has completed.

Depending I would say 4-6 months is possible.

As ever with LR it is worth a chase a few weeks in to make sure it has not been shunted sideways due to a mistake on the form, and not been returned to because of the continuing flow of new work.

Ferdinand

One thing you might want to do is change or update the "service address" at the LR.

Few years ago the LR was under fire for allowing people to change LR records with little proof of ID. They now write to the service address before change of ownership but if that address is wrong it makes it easier for the fraudsters..

From 2009..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7971995.stm

"It's possible for any man to go into Land Registry and say by filling in the correct forms, I now am the service address for that property, any correspondence from the LR can you send it to this new address," he said.

DI Radcliffe said once criminals have changed the service address of an empty property they might pose as a builder owed money by the person at this address and launch a civil action to reclaim the money.

DI Radcliffe said once criminals have changed the service address of an empty property they might pose as a builder owed money by the person at this address and launch a civil action to reclaim the money.

Tighter controls

If the court does not receive a reply from the person at the address it can order the house to be sold with the money going to the criminals.

In addition, if criminals then also pose as the property owner, and write to the court agreeing to home's sale, any money from the sale not owed to the criminals as claimants will also go to them.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Anyone have a link to how to change the "service address" of a plot?  I assume this means changing it from "land between x and y" to the actual house name?

This seems to be a function of Royal Mail. We went from "Land 50m behind 38 xyz road" to "40 xyz road" on their say so.

* This may be a NI only system

** I wanted to call it "Norfolk Enchants" in homage to the response of a number of local builders when asked about constructing a passive house on the site. (Vetoed by my better half for some reason)

It is up to the council to provide an official address, but it's a service they charge for. So I have abstained from using that service.,

We don't have road names or numbers in our little scattered community, just house names and a postcode. so we have chosen a name for the house and are using it, together with the postcode that serves the houses on either side of us.

So far I have bank accounts, all utility bills, electoral roll, even council tax bill, and all normal post and parcel delivieries all using the new address without paying for this "service" so I can't see me coughing up for it now.

My council has just started charging for the service.  I managed to get my paperwork in beforehand so avoided the fee. On previous builds, I did as @ProDave has done.  There was never any real problem except it seemed to take longer for the address to appear on certain databases. 

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Our local authority charge around £120 to allocate an address, and there's no easy way around it, I found.  I tried to just get the Royal Mail to do it, but they just referred me back to the council Street Naming Team.

We were lucky with our local authority in N Wales as their address registration process was free and they also did the liaison with the Royal Mail.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Anyone have a link to how to change the "service address" of a plot?  I assume this means changing it from "land between x and y" to the actual house name?

For most people it's unlikely the service address was ever the "land between x and y". The "service address" is usually the address where the owner lives so (for example) if you were living in a rented house when you purchased the plot it's most likely been set to the address of the rented house by the solicitor.

Just before completion we got the council to allocate a postal address and once we moved in we changed the service address to the new postal address. I don't remember ever changing the description of the title so it probably still says "Land to the north of..." 

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My address was already assigned by the council, Royal Mail is a separate thing, although the council will inform them of this new address, when property was about to be completed, I called Royal Mail's "New properties" number and they moved our address from the being built database to the live one.

Need to check this service address thing, that I didn't know!!!

10 hours ago, hmpmarketing said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My address was already assigned by the council, Royal Mail is a separate thing, although the council will inform them of this new address, when property was about to be completed, I called Royal Mail's "New properties" number and they moved our address from the being built database to the live one.

Need to check this service address thing, that I didn't know!!!

Can you post this magical "new numbers" phone number please?