Plumbing heating design etc

also worth giving telford a ring (big thank you to nickfromwales). I originally was looking at joule for a 500l TS but telford came up with exactly what I need but a lot better priced. Hopefully i will order it in another month. 

I spoke to Mark at Newark and he was very helpful.

The restriction he has is finding couriers that will ship over 2.4m (when packaged), however I could collect, which solves that problem.

Anything is possible, but to keep the tank made from one sheet of stainless steel the max height is 2400, but a 2400x600 tank will give me around 750litres internal storage.

Just waiting for him to price it up.

I have also asked for a quote from thecylindercompany which are near Ashton under lyme, but I guess they are a middle-man.

Edited by bassanclan

I was thinking of having open pipe anyway.

I'm following this basic layout http://www.heatweb.co.uk/products/ds18/

but with two extra tappings for 2 seperate UFH manifolds - the max size tank they make is 500 litres, hence why I am looking at Newark Cylinders

What benefit would there be if the radiator/ufh/wbs/gas boiler system was sealed/pressurised?

A gas system boiler needs pressure to operate. A heat-only boiler can be either / or. 

Benefits are no open tanks in the attic etc, less connective pipework and associated losses, and far more flexibility for running pipework. 

Its not needed TBH, pressurisation that is, and I recently fitted a Vaillant 438 ( heat-only ) in a 4 storey student let. UFH on all floors plus towel rads, a 500ltr TS and a 500ltr cold water accumulator. Thinking that it would be better to have a 'self-maintaining' system ( doesn't require manual checking and 'topping up' ) as students spend most days pissed or sleeping in their own muck.  

• 4 weeks later...

So I got a quote from a local Hetas registered shop, supply and fit Dunsley Yorkshire boiler stove, flue, loading valves, controls, 750l thermal store & external exhanger...£18500+vat!!!

One thing which is mentioned in the quote is the pump for the boiler stove needs to be within 1m of the stove, but I can't see that in any regs. Can anyone help me out with that?

I got a quote from Mark at Newark cylinders which I'm happy with so thinking of going down the route of getting all the gear, doing the manual labour etc and finding a hetas plumber on a day rate for the important parts, or just getting building control to sign it off.

• Like 1

Mark is pretty good - they do what you want rather than work within a set boundary. 

Never heard the 1m rule either - did they give you a schematic as the load valve needs to be correctly placed on the stove or it becomes irrelevant. ESBE do some nice ones and also do pump stations with built in load valves and temp gauges too. Will find a link.  

An esbe valve is included in the quote. This sort of thing...

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/ESBE-LTC-load-units.html

(not a recommendation of the product or retailer btw)

My concern is the noise of the pump in a living room and locating it in a already tight fireplace opening.

No schematic was provided and all schematics I have seen put the loading valve near the thermal store/tank as I imagine the insulation around such valves is flammable to some extent.

The loading valve (hence pump) wants to be as near the stove as possible. Its main function is to ensure that the boiler gets to operating temperature quickly raising efficiency and reducing pollution. If there's a long pipe run between heat source and loading valve you've got a much bigger mass of water to heat as well as more heat loss so the system will take longer to reach operating temperature.

Can't see the relevance of flammability. It must be an enclosed stove, so no significantly greater fire risk than a gas or oil boiler.

• Like 1