Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

On 28 May 2018 at 22:03, Onoff said:

That's enough for tonight. Something like this. The far lhs one is all soldered in. The lot to the right and to the rainfall head are "loose":

2018-05-28_09-24-26

The pass over tbh is half an inch off though it clears the cold feed fine. Should have come towards the rainfall head (by half inch):

While I admire your bending skills I would have done that differently.

Ditch the obsession with keeping both right hand pipes at the same level.  I would have made the left hand one an inch taller coming out of the ceiling. That left hand pipe could then have crossed over above the right hand one and both taken a straight line to their destination with no crossover.

I think you regard it more as an art form than a practical means to get water from A to B.

Actually scrub that. If the right hand pipe had turned right as soon as it appeared at the bottom of the photo it could have gone to it's destination all on the same level without any crossovers.

I suspect my obsession is keeping pipe runs, particularly HOT pipe runs as short as absolutely possible.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2018 at 08:51, Onoff said:

To finish this corner off: After packing with insulation the intent was to apply a vcl to the face of the studs/insulation and then Aqua Panel over that. Like this:

2018-04-24_09-46-26

However SWMBO caught  sight of the mitred corner detail "somebody" on here did ;) which led me down that route.

So I'm not sure now whether to bring the (green) vcl into the corner as originally planned like in "A" below or across the face of the mitre as shown in "B". If "A" I think I'll need a couple of full height strips of maybe MR plasterboard to stop the vcl billowing as I'm not continuing the Aqua Panel into the corner:

vcl_001

Bump. 

Anyone any thoughts on which way to go with this?

Cheers

Just bring it across the face of everything so all the pipework is behind it, otherwise your pipework will be cutting through it a few times. 

04th June today, so 6 months + 2 week contingent to be done by ~ December. 

Let's get cracking! 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just bring it across the face of everything so all the pipework is behind it, otherwise your pipework will be cutting through it a few times. 

04th June today, so 6 months + 2 week contingent to be done by ~ December. 

Let's get cracking! 

Ta.Tbh this is a very draughty corner. The bathroom being a two wall extension , where the mixer is on is a brick cavity that "joins" the solid wall in the corner to the left. I don't think wall starters were used or even now how / if it was keyed in. Cut nails probably! 

I was even thinking about doing the vcl right into the corner AND across the face of the ply mitre piece. Maybe I'd be better though leaving that triangular void a bit air leaky from the corner to vent it a bit? Can't be a lot gets through all that pir & foam though?

There'll only be one pipe penetration where the handset feed is and of course a big hole in the vcl for the mixer.

1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

Whoo hoo

Time to get the tile cutter out?

Hmm...

Just been lifting manhole covers in the undergrowth and rodding the clay soil run to the "cess pit". Have noted a whiff of sewage of late. 

Trouble is I've only a rough idea of where the cess pit is / what area it covers. "Over there" is my best guess. SWMBO seems to consider it a bottomless pit that never needs emptying! 

Might be the next big job, some form of proper treatment plant...pun intended.

Unexpected ££££ :(

If it really is a cess pit and you have never had it emptied then where is it going?

Surely it is a septic tank? that should really be emptied about every 2 years, though some people seem to think they never need emptying.

Emptying it is not A DIY job.

Installing a new treatment plant might be, but finish the bathroom first.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

If it really is a cess pit and you have never had it emptied then where is it going?

Surely it is a septic tank? that should really be emptied about every 2 years, though some people seem to think they never need emptying.

Emptying it is not A DIY job.

Installing a new treatment plant might be, but finish the bathroom first.

I think I discussed this way back. Jeremy, @JSHarris, suggested it might have an "open" bottom. I presume then the "liquid" just permeates (and pollutes) the soil and the solids eventually back up. A rodding and hosing seemed to clear it but I'm not confident long term. I don't even know where the access manhole for it is. 

I'll maybe start another thread but does your plant require a power supply? Are there any that don't need power?

Cheers

Most treatment plants need power. Mine is one based on the air blower principle and a measurement when it was first installed confirmed it uses 2KWh per day, though it has a lousy power factor as the current measurement suggested it would be more, but thankfully the meter measures KWh rather than KVAh  You can also get them that have moving mechanical parts but I would not recommend one of those.

There are some treatment systems that claim the same level of treatment, without using power, these tend to be 2 stage plants, basically a septic tank followed by some filtration or secondary treatment system. These tend to cost more and take up a lot more space.

Then there is the question of where will the liquid effluent discharge to.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most treatment plants need power. Mine is one based on the air blower principle and a measurement when it was first installed confirmed it uses 2KWh per day, though it has a lousy power factor as the current measurement suggested it would be more, but thankfully the meter measures KWh rather than KVAh  You can also get them that have moving mechanical parts but I would not recommend one of those.

There are some treatment systems that claim the same level of treatment, without using power, these tend to be 2 stage plants, basically a septic tank followed by some filtration or secondary treatment system. These tend to cost more and take up a lot more space.

Then there is the question of where will the liquid effluent discharge to.

Cheers. I'll leave it at this for now. I'll do a bit of a survey showing boundaries and the road etc and put it to the collective here for comment. Thanks again.

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Cheers. I'll leave it at this for now. I'll do a bit of a survey showing boundaries and the road etc and put it to the collective here for comment. Thanks again.

Best start a new thread otherwise it might get lost in here........

I need to pressure test the 16mm Pex-Al-Pex loop I've put in for the towel radiator before I board it all over. As discussed an age ago this will be fed from an eventual manifold. The pipes come around the wall then there's a 15 to 16mm compression elbow onto a bit of CHROMED pipe:

20161212_181118

This is the detail, obviously substituting chromed pipe for the copper:

20161210_223126

I was just going to bridge, with push fits and a length of pipe between the chrome tails in the first picture then expose it all to my 8bar mains pressure via my DIY gauge.

Seem to recall a potential issue with Hep2O on chrome pipes as in blowing off?

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Best start a new thread otherwise it might get lost in here........

Will do. Debating a petrol strimmer / brushcutter and possibly even a small chainsaw to assist in finding the cess pit! 

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I need to pressure test the 16mm Pex-Al-Pex loop I've put in for the towel radiator before I board it all over. As discussed an age ago this will be fed from an eventual manifold. The pipes come around the wall then there's a 15 to 16mm compression elbow onto a bit of CHROMED pipe:

20161212_181118

This is the detail, obviously substituting chromed pipe for the copper:

20161210_223126

I was just going to bridge, with push fits and a length of pipe between the chrome tails in the first picture then expose it all to my 8bar mains pressure via my DIY gauge.

Seem to recall a potential issue with Hep2O on chrome pipes as in blowing off?

Yep - none of the push fits grip chrome properly.  

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Will do. Debating a petrol strimmer / brushcutter and possibly even a small chainsaw to assist in finding the cess pit! 

I get the impression gardening is not one of your pastimes?

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yep - none of the push fits grip chrome properly.  

So why not use a chrome compression elbow, that should grip the chrome pipe okay and look better than a brass nut being seen.

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I get the impression gardening is not one of your pastimes?

Not at all. We've some nicely managed lawn areas etc but the cess pool is in the deliberately left "wild" bit.

52 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So why not use a chrome compression elbow, that should grip the chrome pipe okay and look better than a brass nut being seen.

In the last picture above, the brass 15 to 16 elbow is within the wall.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

Tread carefully and wear a snorkel.

I know my Irish forebears were called bog warriors but I have no wish to join their ranks! :)

If nothing else it seems sensible to maybe find it, define the area and maybe fence it off even.

Well, a bit more done. I used up all my offcuts of vcl. More of a nod to reducing draughts than anything else. I gave up with attempting true air tightness what with the multiple ceiling penetrations anyway. Everything will be sealed "best as":

20180605_192049

20180605_192101

Maybe I'll pressure test the towel rad piping tomorrow and start getting the Aqua Panels on. 

Gave in to the call of the mild tonight...well some generic lager anyway.

• Like 2