Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yay! :) In the cold, sober light of day I'm bang on perpendicular to the rear wall! TF for optical disillusion!

Moral, drink more! :)

I now need to cut an accurate 180mm dia hole in the ceiling but DON'T want to spend £30 odd on a tool with a cowl so off to T'station for their <£10 version.

Errrrr.....compass and a padsaw THEN get pissed ;)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Yay! :) In the cold, sober light of day I'm bang on perpendicular to the rear wall!

2018-02-15_03-59-49

TF for optical delusions!

Moral, drink more! :)

I now need to cut an accurate 180mm dia hole in the ceiling but DON'T want to spend £30 odd on a tool with a dust cowl so off to T'station for their <£10 version.

If that’s the silver line adjustable hole cutter...

Good luck with that!

6 minutes ago, daiking said:

Lethal in the same way a shotgun is and probably less accurate

I'm looking at it realising why people duck when they get out of helicopters! :)

@daiking, sounds like you've experience of this. Other than it smelling like a cheap Chinese air rifle what's the score with it? I'm thinking it might be worth sticking a temporary timber batten up between the joists to keep the pilot drill on centre.

2018-02-15_05-38-04

Edited by Onoff

58 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm looking at it realising why people duck when they get out of helicopters! :)

@daiking, sounds like you've experience of this. Other than it smelling like a cheap Chinese air rifle what's the score with it? I'm thinking it might be worth sticking a temporary timber batten up between the joists to keep the pilot drill on centre.

2018-02-15_05-38-04

I found it impossible to get balanced and my cordless drill probably wasn’t up to the task anyway.

Right then, the Silverline hole cutter IS perfectly usable IF you use something solid to keep the 8mm pilot true. In plasterboard, without it, imo you're on a hiding to nothing. I tried it without then screwed on a bit of scrap 9mm ply.

The pilot wobbled so much in the pb to start with it was just ripping and tearing rather than cutting:

20180215_182116

So with the ply scrap:

20180215_182245

20180215_182334

20180215_183206

2018-02-15_06-46-03

Happy with that. Wine o'clock! :)

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you drill the centre hole you could probably insert that and turn it by hand if it’s just plasterboard you have to go through. 

You beat me to it. 

Well done ?

This isn't just any old plasterboard, this is... :)

40 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

3 questions,

- where is the hole in the VCL from the pilot hole?

-is that a 3 speed makita drill? if so, you lucky bastard, someone stole mine and they are virtually impossible to replace.

- how can you sleep at night with so few screws in your ceiling? 

Very stubby drill on this Silverline thing, it pushed up and only just pierced the vcl. 

Yep, BHP451...I wish I'd bought a couple more tbh.

The body dryer comes with some weird "material" straps. Not fitted yet so I added a few more screws. NO I didn't measure them!

That was a horrible moment cutting the vcl, OMG the draught!

20180215_193546

In she goes temporarily:

2018-02-15 19.50.42

The timber box will be lined with Asbestolux or similar. The rest of the vcl under the dryer will go:

2018-02-15 19.50.42

A few more screws. A couple of 20mm holes for the control cable and the DRAIN! 

20180215_194424

20180215_194435

To fit, the cover. 4 screws but the positions aren't on the card template. I'll figure it tomorrow!

20180215_194617

• Like 1

:ph34r: The cover fits to the ceiling with 4 curly wurlys! It doesn't actually screw through the pb and then to the black "fan" deck. So the fan deck just sits there atop the pb under it's own weight so to speak...which is weird.

Must read instructions...

I screwed up a bit here :(

20180215_193546

I SHOULD have cut the vcl BEFORE I drilled / cut the big holes! What I want to do is bring the vcl up the sides of the timber joists and over the top. I'm going to have or course to add some vcl and seal the joins. A fire resistant plasterboard "lid" will then be screwed down maybe on an intumescent bead. It's a nod to putting the integrity of the vcl back.

Save me having to buy airtight tape, would Gorilla Tape be OK? It says you can fix paddling pools with it.

So let's get rid of the Polypipe tray! Parkside mutitool:

20180217_153330

Near miss :ph34r::

20180217_153343

It's destryoying the foil which'll need some repairs with tape pre whatever new membrane I put on:

20180217_153358

Time to sit down with a Cobra and take stock... :)

Edited by Onoff

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So let's get rid of the Polypipe tray! Parkside mutitool:

20180217_153330

Near miss :ph34r::

20180217_153343

It's destryoying the foil which'll need some repairs with tape pre whatever new membrane I put on:

20180217_153358

Time to sit down with a Cobra and take stock... :)

Please please do not start dismantling it before you have finished it

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Save me having to buy airtight tape, would Gorilla Tape be OK? It says you can fix paddling pools with it.

How much airtightness tape do you need?  I have part of a roll left over, the expensive Siga stuff, that you could have for free if it might help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

And there was me thinking it would look ugly and obtrusive...

2018-02-17_02-23-38

:)

It looks good but how effective will it be? Hot head and wet feet? Mounting it in the floor Marilyn Monroe style might work better, now there's a thought in more ways than one.

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

How much airtightness tape do you need?  I have part of a roll left over, the expensive Siga stuff, that you could have for free if it might help.

Thanks. Might take you up on that.

I reckon though if I cut and bring the vcl that's there up and over the joist I could add more & set my Asbestolux boards on intumescent mastic. Where the boards meet the plasterboard and the 4 internal corners of the lining.

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thanks. Might take you up on that.

I reckon though if I cut and bring the vcl that's there up and over the joist I could add more & set my Asbestolux boards on intumescent mastic. Where the boards meet the plasterboard and the 4 internal corners of the lining.

Just PM me your address and how long a length you need and I can easily pop it in the post on Monday.

Bugger! I remember when I laid the PIR that I took so long and walked on it so much that the foil started peeling off. Then the foam itself started laminating / disintegrating.

20180217_173904

I "saved" it by going mad with the foil tape. Removing the Polypipe panel now and I've made multiple slices into the repaired foil and the foam is literally falling apart even as I vacuum it! :(

20180217_173904

I reckon the best way to salvage this is to slip in some squares of heavy duty baking foil and again foil tape.

Will the liquid DPM affect the Pex-Al-Pex pipe I wonder?

59 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

It looks good but how effective will it be? Hot head and wet feet? Mounting it in the floor Marilyn Monroe style might work better, now there's a thought in more ways than one.

I'm banking on this review:

Rather than this:

If nothing else it'll warm the room up pronto! 

:)