Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

10 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Looks like you have used the rest of the tile you cut before the mosaic to carry on which IMO looks fine. only suggestion would be to mirror the same cuts on the left-hand wall.

From the left hand (wet room) corner it's two full tiles then a cut one abutting the mosaic. So I can't really mirror with the rhs. 

Happy then with the; window, "door" and bath walls. Just got to figure where the thermostatic shower valve is going and the pockets on the wc wall.

Still need to pick a valve and rainfall head.

Just remembered, I was going to arch the top of the pockets.

I suppose really I should sort the ceiling...downlights, body dryer and decide whether I'm skimming it or taping and jointing...

BEFORE the tiles!

:ph34r:

Edited by Onoff

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Plus, imo, will go out of 'fashion' before the grout dries ??

Nah - it will have gone out of fashion by the time he starts tiling and back into fashion by the time he finishes grouting ..... 

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nah - it will have gone out of fashion by the time he starts tiling and back into fashion by the time he finishes grouting ..... 

I had already factored in for this going full circle twice, but glad we're on the same page :D I wonder if the van that delivers the grout will be driverless. ?

• Haha 3

Luckily thick skin is one of my many virtues! :)

So pockets, bit of a quick cheat on the model rather than making more MDF dust but it gives me an idea. Thinking two lit pockets on this wall as I've a good few inches depthwise. 

2017-12-31_12-18-14

Not sure whether the pockets would be better next to the mosaic. This would allow the shower mixer /  riser to go on that strip of tiles next to the pocket. I was though thinking of the whole "you don't want to get wet turning it on / remote mixer" thing. Tricky this!

2017-12-31_12-28-38

Probably need to see this in context with the big pocket above the wc...

Damn your thick skin......we were hoping to have broken you by page 34 :(

The whole "I don't want to get wet turning the shower on" thing is just a load of bollo...... You turn the shower head to one side and then flick the switch. You also don't want to be dripping on the non sloped floor when adjusting the valve from head / handset / temp etc, so I'd actively put the valve wiring the confines of the wet floor area. 

Jump the pockets up a tile high each. The bottom one is too low. 

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and square looks so much better. :)

Square pockets? Could drop down to two tiles which would be 400w x 500h? 

Made a faux pas somewhere! In reality that wc outlet is positioned dead centre of the two studs which are nom. 500mm between faces ( for the Geberit frame). On the model they're 450 apart! :ph34r:

2017-12-31_01-07-18

The moral being don't measure with a (mild) hangover! 

Edited by Onoff

A bit of reconfiguring:

Three pockets didn't really work. It put the height of the "shelves" of the two right hand pockets at 700 and just over 1600 - too high and too low!

20171231_165244

Two pockets giving shelf heights at 1200mm seems better:

20171231_184200

Couldn't resist mocking up a shower (& flush plate) but tbh I think it's the best place for it (the shower) on the other wall:

20171231_184302

Hmm...

OK pockets 1 course taller and moved 2 up:

20171231_220748

20171231_220732

Or 1 course taller and moved just one course up:

20171231_220422

20171231_220531

It was a good few years ago that a night on the tiles New Years Eve meant something else! :)

48 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The latter. Looks much better and if tall enough you can put a glass divider to double the shelf space. 

Still mulling whether I'll need a 1200mm high shelf in the wet room space. Thinking if we ever need to shower in a wheelchair or sit on a chair. A lower shelf would put shampoo, shower gel etc within reach. Like the divider idea, I'll play with that. 

Edited by Onoff

Can't decide whether to tile in the cupboard or not. It'll have a linen basket taking up the lower half then shelves above. The stub wall will have the "magazine", stacked loo roll dispenser. Other than tiles it'd be plastered.

20180101_130526

20180101_130539

And tonight we're back to discussing whether to mitre the corner or not! :)

Just realised the pocket's are a tile too high!

20180103_211403

20180103_211330

I reckon if I go for a tile width on the mitre I can go two full tiles either way if I maybe widen the mosaic strips a tad.