Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Because I had it (actually went and scrounged it off my nephew to save me going to Wickes or the timber yard :) ), I've glued and screwed  (lots) a full 2.4m length of 4"x2" to the back of the corner board. 

2018-04-11_07-34-37

That'll give me a really solid piece to affix the slider rail. Just about to figure the solder ring backplate and counterbore it a la @Nickfromwales's method. I've given up questioning him, it ALWAYS comes right! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Good lad. 

TBH ive been 99.9% successful in all endeavours, apart from that one we set fire to.......but luckily the flames were soon put out by the many leaks we had :D

Was that recently, in Scotland where you were very drunk? :)

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Was that recently, in Scotland where you were very drunk? :)

O.o:S:o:ph34r:

The smoke alarms were going ballistic at one point!! :o I was just told ‘we’ve proved your smoke alarms work, more beer please’ :o

• Haha 2

I continue to be impressed by the Clas Ohlson laser I bought in their clearance sale! My mate was impressed too, bought the same one and has FINISHED his son in law,s bathroom :ph34r:. Said it was great for tiling.

2018-04-11_08-33-40

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I continue to be impressed by the Class Ohlson laser I bought in their clearance sale! My mate was impressed too, bought the same one and has FINISHED his son in laws bathroom :ph34r:. Said it was great for tiling.

FINISHED being the operative word in your mate’s case ;) 

@Nickfromwales, just figuring how the shower valve sits in relation to the pockets. 

So.....pockets, plan is a full tile width pocket either side of the mitre corner. Tile is 400mm wide and I've balanced one between two bits of 2"x"2 approx. where they'll go. Then I'll decide whether the hose backplate gets fed from the top or bottom:

20180412_172508

20180412_172459

On plan then the pocket will look something like this:

pocket_001

Do I want to not see the grout line like at "A" or have it visible like at "B"?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

A every time cockles. 

And make sure the hose outlet faces down or you'll end up snapping the hose as it weighs a bit when full of water. 

Ta. NOT the hose, the brass back plate! Might make the copper run to the valve easier if it's one way or the other!

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Come out sideways and your already heading in the right direction ?

Wot she said!  :ph34r:

There was a bit of suspect render that I gave the benefit of the doubt.....one of those think about it later jobs. I just KNEW it'd come back to bite me come pocket time! The tip of the crow bar confirmed it lifted easily:

20180412_175544

20180412_175612

20180412_175650

20180412_175942

Over an inch thick some of that. Area with the red "1" is rendered brick...which they had rendered over! Area "2" is rendered breeze and that projects about an inch beyond area "1"!!!

2018-04-12_06-26-57

Bit dusty, got that disturbed old crap taste in my mouth. So now...

cobra.jpg.ac7f87779a58d22ad6cf25b47a875607.jpg

:)

I knew this pocket would be trouble! Almost a "more trouble than it's worth" job but hey ho!

The tiles will fit between the Aqua Panel at least (pb standing in for Aqua Panel):

20180412_191639

Rough calc, with area "2" being proud, I reckon the pocket depth will be only 80mm deep and thats with ZERO insulation at the back, just the Aqua Panel "glued" to the wall (inner leaf of cavity wall)! :(

20180412_191754

I want to put some token insulation behind the valve. I reckon  I'll manage 20-25mm max!

20180412_192515

20180412_192620

Probably have to fab a clever steel plate to mount the valve on! :)

If you solder, then you'll have to solder stubs into them FIRST and then PTFE them and then screw them in, otherwise you'll melt the PTFE tape. Not a problem if you have a bend to solder onto the end of the stub, before changing direction etc, but it means offering the valve in with 4 of them made off to the stubs. 

Nowt wrong with compression TBH. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I knew this pocket would be trouble! Almost a "more trouble than it's worth" job but hey ho!

The tiles will fit between the Aqua Panel at least (pb standing in for Aqua Panel):

20180412_191639

Rough calc, with area "2" being proud, I reckon the pocket depth will be only 80mm deep and thats with ZERO insulation at the back, just the Aqua Panel "glued" to the wall (inner leaf of cavity wall)! :(

20180412_191754

I want to put some token insulation behind the valve. I reckon  I'll manage 20-25mm max!

20180412_192515

20180412_192620

Probably have to fab a clever steel plate to mount the valve on! :)

Just glue and screw a wooden back board to the wall.

I would ditch the pocket idea. You just know it's going to leak which means you have to tank the pocket before you tile it.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I would ditch the pocket idea. You just know it's going to leak which means you have to tank the pocket before you tile it.

None of the ones I've done have leaked :P

Use a colour matched silicone, not grout, in those areas and Roberts your muvvas bruvva. 

Tanking is obligatory, but he'll already have a tanking kit so can brush a bit on there without breaking the budget ( bearing in mind a full tanking kit can be had for change of £40 ;). ) 

The pockets set a room off, fill your boots Clive ;)

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you solder, then you'll have to solder stubs into them FIRST and then PTFE them and then screw them in, otherwise you'll melt the PTFE tape. Not a problem if you have a bend to solder onto the end of the stub, before changing direction etc, but it means offering the valve in with 4 of them made off to the stubs. 

Nowt wrong with compression TBH. 

Going with compression. Ordered some 15mm x 1/2" straight couplers and elbows too. How many turns of PTFE tape on the 1/2" bit into the shower valve should I do?

Cheers

I'll at least have a nice usable pocket depth on the left :) :

2018-04-13_06-36-57

Got to decide whether to have the 3-way valve central to one tile or on the centre of two (not that it's going on the mitred bit):

20180413_184035

20180413_184053

As the hose outlet is coming out centre of a tile it might pay I think to go with the second option and line up the centre control with the hose outlet. It'd put the centre control at about 1m from the floor which "feels" alright (along with thinking ahead :( ).