Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Will Soudal Soudafoam affect Pex-Al-Pex pipe?

No not at all.  There are no solvents in any can foam that will have any effect on any plastic used in construction I'm aware of - it's even (chemically) safe with PVC wiring (unlike EPS).

• Like 2

F***! F***! F***! :(

Changing the foam gun cannister over just now and I went to screw on the gun cleaner.....Lucky I had glasses on as I got a full blast of acetone in both eyes! Head under sink asap and the right is pretty much back to normal. Left one slightly more irritated! 

20180326_200016

• Sad 1

Oh, looks almost as red as my Mother's eye after her cataract operation last week.

Man up, I used to work with polyester resin a lot, it can splash a fair bit.  We used to wash it out of our eyes with acetone.  I had my cataracts done at age 47!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Oh, looks almost as red as my Mother's eye after her cataract operation last week.

Man up, I used to work with polyester resin a lot, it can splash a fair bit.  We used to wash it out of our eyes with acetone.  I had my cataracts done at age 47!!

I'd only had one beer (the last Estrella). More miffed I might not be able to have another if I had to go to A&E tbh. Going to self medicate with a new Lidl lager whilst the foam goes off.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

F***! F***! F***! :(

Changing the foam gun cannister over just now and I went to screw on the gun cleaner.....Lucky I had glasses on as I got a full blast of acetone in both eyes! Head under sink asap and the right is pretty much back to normal. Left one slightly more irritated! 

20180326_200016

FFS I'm glad this wasn't the page I opened up to and that I know what this site is like.

OH - and that I'm a nurse so don't give a monkeys

Not a pretty sight! ... (as opposed to the mostly pretty sites we get on here_

22 hours ago, Onoff said:

SBR seems to make the concrete end up more "plasticy" than PVA in my experience with it. Was going to go 3:1as per the mix instructions, water/SBR.  I won't be trowelling it, more barrow/shovel/tamp to falls.

I wasn't saying use PVA, rather waterproofer & admix rather than SBR, then you will get a workable waterproof mix

DPM in and pipes clipped to the mesh. Edges foamed. I was a bit worried where the mesh had rubbed against the pipe but found 1" offcuts of mt fitted the bill perfectly. Also used a couple of bits to protect from the wall drain brackets.

20180327_174524

20180327_174543

Slapped a bit of the perimeter expansion strip against the wall drain secured with spray adhesive. The new wet room slab bit will only expand against this or the blue foam encapsulating the waste.

20180327_174559

BUT...in time honoured @Onoff fashion I STILL can't find the fibres to add to the mix! Bought for the original slab pour they've just never reappeared. I'll be buying more!

As for cement..I've got lots...one bag of Blue Circle use by date Oct 2017 and half a dozen bags of Redland circa Aug 2016. All still in their plastic bags and feeling soft enough.....do I REALLY have to buy new?

21 hours ago, Hecateh said:

FFS I'm glad this wasn't the page I opened up to and that I know what this site is like.

OH - and that I'm a nurse so don't give a monkeys

Not a pretty sight! ... (as opposed to the mostly pretty sites we get on here_

Clip it down.

That is the avatar.

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

YES!!!

You only need one bag FFS :D  

0.225m3 of concrete less the falls it works out as.

Using this mix then:

4.    Water Resistant Concrete (min.25mm)
by weight            by volume
50kg cement            1 pbv cement
100kg medium sand        1.5 pbv
100kg 10-5mm pea shingle    1.5 pbv
5 litres SBR            (1:3 SBR:water
13 litres water*        (add to consistency
Yield approx 0.14m³

Is that saying 50kg of cement to yield 0.14m3 ? If so I'll need 4x25kg bags

???

15 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Yes that integral waterproofer will do the job, or for 3p less with the admix included

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p29048?table=no

The reason for favouring SBR was in part based on some small infill areas I did with just a strong sharp sand/cement mix with SBR added and NO water. It comes out like tough plastic and is very workable. I think the term is "polymerize".

20170105_190718

t

So...going for the wet room corner slab this weekend as I am I'm looking for some validation for the above 1 : 1.5 : 1.5 cement/sand/10mm aggregate mix I'm going with as I'm aware it's a bit "out there"! Nearest I could find was the 1:2:2 mix here:

5abb8e7f93b00_conc_0041.thumb.JPG.7f53b9061fa1765ac30890621d1fbcb4.JPG

It is in effect a small pre-cast area I'm thinking. Recommended for "garden furniture" I'm thinking those concrete benches you see are as tough as old boots. Or would the 1 : 2.5 : 3.5 in the above table be better?

Dithering over the mix here! :)

21 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

You really are a worrier. Screed is usually about 3-1 so just stick with what you originally planned. 

Im concreting Saturday as well. Iv even booked the pump so there’s no turning back now. :-/ also got to be out for lunch by 2:30 so hopefully I can get an early start on it. 

Pumped??? You're never going to drop that weight by CHEATING!

Doh! If I hadn't have taken the pi$$ I could have lined the boot with a tarp and scrounged a couple of barrows worth! :)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Pumped??? You're never going to drop that weight by CHEATING!

Doh! If I hadn't have taken the pi$$ I could have lined the boot with a tarp and scrounged a couple of barrows worth! :)

I'm sure I will have a few barrows spare if you wanted it, Its only gen 3 so might not be up to your standards,

as for cheating, iv got 9.9 m3 to lay, by myself, in one hit before lunch, there will be a lot of swearing if the lorry isn't here before 8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

I'm sure I will have a few barrows spare if you wanted it, Its only gen 3 so might not be up to your standards,

as for cheating, iv got 9.9 m3 to lay, by myself, in one hit before lunch, there will be a lot of swearing if the lorry isn't here before 8

Work it all off...then put it all back on, nice! Ebb & flow, yin and yang. :)

• Haha 1

All ready for filling up with my exotic pea shingle mix. Can't think of anything else that'll delay it! :) 

Fall according to Geberit was 1-2% which equated to 13-26mm. I was going to go for the 1% but with no glass screens for the mo and no UFH working I figured get rid of the water a bit quicker. Aimed therefore for slap bang in the middle 18mm (1.5%). According to the laser level on the steel former it's 450mm at the high ends and 432mm where the steel is flat under the yellow cover. I'd say luck more than judgement but it is tbh judgement! 

IMG_20180330_160659218

IMG_20180330_160724201

IMG_20180330_160739735

All vacuumed and vacuumed again. I just need it stop raining so I can get on with it! :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I think I might carry on with figuring the studwork pockets before I concrete. Otherwise I won't be able to tread on that area for a week and it'll slow things up...

:ph34r:

That would not do.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Pussy. Mines all in and done. You’ll be able to walk on it tomorrow so that’s a poor excuse. 

Yeah but you were rushing to get to the pub! :)

Looks great btw!

• Like 1

Modding the stud work for the pocket. I could have just stuck the pocket between the studs but I want it to line up with a specific tile layout. That white area of thick old render is hollow sounding and pretty loose tbh. It's an old blocked up doorway there I think, filled in with thinner blocks than the rest of the wall. Someone even made an attempt to render over the cream painted wall! Bodge after bodge. 

2018-03-31_11-48-38