Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Added a couple of short st/st bolts to the brackets to key into the concrete as Nick suggested:

20180312_174545

20180312_174558

Got a load of short lengths of M10 BZP stud. Used this to push down / support the slab to be! 

20180312_174615

Just got to figure a timber across the top of the drain unit from where the bottle of Threadlock is to the other side, to tie the stud wall together. 

So...a bit of 2"x2" will nicely span across, bridging where I cut out for the wall drain:

20180312_193647

I WAS planning to replace the front M8 bolts at 'X' with studding and bring this up through the 2"x2".

20180312_193657

Unfortunately the edge distance is only 3-5mm.

Would pumping the nom 4mm gap  (where I'm pointing with the bevel) with Sikaflex "stick"the 2"x2" to the galvanised case of the drain?

20180312_193816

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nearly there then! :)

Erm.....no, not really. Still got to cast the wet room corner, do the mitred corner boxing in and the pockets, fit the shower......

I was joking to the missus (as we drove past St Michael's prep school) that most round here probably pay £600 per square metre for their bathroom tiles! :)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I was joking to the missus (as we drove past St Michael's prep school) that most round here probably pay £600 per square metre for their bathroom tiles! :)

Yeah well Row Dow isn’t exactly the cheapest road on the block and has always been fairly pricey. Had schoolfriends who lived up there in amazing houses. However, when I was a kid a bit further up in Knatts Valley wasn’t the most desirable of areas let’s say, but now most of the plots have been bought up, the original houses nuked, and the prices are well over a million these days. Wish I’d had to foresight to buy up there, but you couldn’t pay people to live up there back in the day! 

12 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Bet it's changed since I used to ride my bike up there in th 60's :o

Try it of a weekend, packs of the morons clogging the road up and not wanting to pull over. :(

30 minutes ago, newhome said:

However, when I was a kid a bit further up in Knatts Valley wasn’t the most desirable of areas let’s say, but now most of the plots have been bought up, the original houses nuked, and the prices are well over a million these days. Wish I’d had to foresight to buy up there, but you couldn’t pay people to live up there back in the day! 

Many years ago it was nicknamed Bidonville (shanty town). That only applies to my plot now! :)

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That only applies to my plot now! :)

It's good to be different :ph34r:

Wasn't there a maggot farm there? I remember there used to be a "smell" wafting across in the summer.

I used to rent a barn just off of Death Hill in the 70's, nothing dodgy although frequent visits from the local constabulary.

Sorry for going off topic.

47 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Bet it's changed since I used to ride my bike up there in th 60's :o

It’s deffo changed a lot since I used to ride my pony up there in the 70s. I haven’t been up there for a few years tho. Lots of million plus houses up there now instead of the ones that went for peanuts in the 70s / 80s. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59008477.html

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Many years ago it was nicknamed Bidonville (shanty town). That only applies to my plot now! :)

Is that where you are then? I won’t say what we used to call it as it’s not very PC ;)

6 hours ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Wasn't there a maggot farm there? I remember there used to be a "smell" wafting across in the summer.

Might have been my place as the smells still there when something dies under my floor! :)

• Haha 2

Needing to extend one edge of the slab by 36mm and the other by 46mm before the falls start, added some surplus, powder coated steel strip. The falls will go from that edge.  I'll just ram concrete under that bit.

2018-03-18_09-04-20

55 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Got 6 months before autumn starts, so should be OK

And what is the weather like from your window today Steamy - not quite as earlier in the weekend one suspects, given how much of the A30 is closed, or did it give you and yours a body swerve?

I am 'up country' at the moment in Bucks.  Seems I was one of the last ones to make it out unscathed.

I do wish that large lorries would leave a bit of space when it is snowy though, they really do not need to be 20 feet from your bumper at 60MPH.  Not as if there was much traffic early on a Sunday afternoon.

So...planning on concreting the wet room corner over Easter. That's 4 days time! 

Where I've removed the red Polypipe tray and I've added the DPM the "interface" is a bit ragged. 

20180325_200809.thumb.jpg.f41c098be4c81ea51946b4c856141b20.jpg

Best thing I can think to do to protect the PIR foil from the concrete is duct tape and low expansion foam?

20180325_212131.thumb.jpg.229caf89038a7ae01e8d552ddfe1c656.jpg

I'm going to be using an SBR heavy mix to make it hopefully resilient. 

SBR can apparently be used as a primer. In the past "joining" new concrete to old I'd have primed the old edges with neat PVA and made up the new concrete with 5:1 PVA.

But I'm using SBR & using this mix:

4.    Water Resistant Concrete (min.25mm)
by weight            by volume
50kg cement            1 pbv cement
100kg medium sand        1.5 pbv
100kg 10-5mm pea shingle    1.5 pbv
5 litres SBR            (1:3 SBR:water
13 litres water*        (add to consistency
Yield approx 0.14m³

Should I prime the existing concrete edges with neat SBR?

Ta.

Edited by Onoff

11 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Are you sure about that mix though?

Cheers. What's wrong with the mix? I figured strong & "resinous". It's either the 10mm pea shingle or 20mm ballast I have here.

Why are you using SBR in the mix instead of integral waterproofer e.g Sika 1?

SBR in the mix will not be guaranteed to be 100% waterproof, it will be very difficult to trowel unless you add admix too and needs very hard mixing eg paddle mixer (more vigourous than a cement mixer) otherwuse you may get the SBR floating to the top of the concrete.

4 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Why are you using SBR in the mix instead of integral waterproofer e.g Sika 1?

SBR in the mix will not be guaranteed to be 100% waterproof, it will be very difficult to trowel unless you add admix too and needs very hard mixing eg paddle mixer (more vigourous than a cement mixer) otherwuse you may get the SBR floating to the top of the concrete.

SBR seems to make the concrete end up more "plasticy" than PVA in my experience with it. Was going to go 3:1as per the mix instructions, water/SBR.  I won't be trowelling it, more barrow/shovel/tamp to falls.