Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Ardex vs rapid setting cement:

I think with concrete it's generally accepted practice to allow a mm/day for it to cure before tiling or in this case tanking first. 

Ardex, is that rapid cure as well as rapid set?

And the extra rapid set stuff like this, sets quick but takes longer to cure?

5018719600218_01c.thumb.jpeg.16c6f31ead2bd9acb671b4ec0a85b4d8.jpeg

Not that I'll be using either as half an hour is far too quick for me!

Ardex is rapid cure, ceramic tiles in 4 hours from mixing and laying. Non porous coverings in around 2-4 days if your pushing your luck, but 7 days no probs. 

Expensive but crazy good. 

For you I'd say ordinary Portland and just wait it out. 2mm a day will be ample if you move the air about with a small desk fan.   

Just got @newhome! :)

I reckon the A142 by the wall drain is a bit too bouncy?

20180307_200348

I can easily bend it downward a bit which would help to increase the concrete coverage over the mesh. It will however likely put the UFH pipes at the bottom of the slab rather than a litle way up like where they sat in the Polypipe tray.

Might not be a bad thing ref the trap maybe drying out! Now the pipes aren't constrained by the tray I can bend them away a bit from the trap before tying to the mesh.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Just got @newhome! :)

I’ll not be reading through the whole thread to catch up! Still, doesn’t look like I’ve missed much so far as you’ve barely started by the looks of things ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Ardex vs rapid setting cement:

I think with concrete it's generally accepted practice to allow a mm/day for it to cure before tiling or in this case tanking first. 

Ardex, is that rapid cure as well as rapid set?

And the extra rapid set stuff like this, sets quick but takes longer to cure?

5018719600218_01c.thumb.jpeg.16c6f31ead2bd9acb671b4ec0a85b4d8.jpeg

Not that I'll be using either as half an hour is far too quick for me!

...because you are obviously hurrying with this project and need the extra time saving of rapid set...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I think you are all being very mean. But just so you all know this thread isn’t the beginning, it started on ebuild before this forum even opened 

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/19013-hot-cold-feeds-to-bathroom/page__fromsearch__1

I refuse to believe that this is only 2 years old. I am unanimous in that.

On inserting the embrace behind the pipes and the mesh, my plumber normally does the stuff at the back first. Perhaps I am being obtuse.

And I am wondering whether @Onoff's Gollum avatar for the bathroom project is inspired by the 78 years that Gollum waited to catch Baggins and the recover his Precious.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I refuse to believe that this is only 2 years old. I am unanimous in that.

On inserting the embrace behind the pipes and the mesh, my plumber normally does the stuff at the back first. Perhaps I am being obtuse.

And I am wondering whether @Onoff's Gollum avatar for the bathroom project is inspired by the 78 years that Gollum waited to catch Baggins and the recover his Precious.

Only 2 years?

The blue DPM inserted afterwards takes the place of the red Polypipe paneled area I removed in situ. The Polypipe panels by virtue of their construction leave "hollows ". The slab in the wet room corner tapers so I wanted as much concrete there as possible.

Can't abide Lord Of The Rings! Gave up on the books and first film.

• Like 1

Especially for @newhome, less of a "story so far", more of a this is where it's heading:

So the wall drain...

Cable tied the pipes to the A142 mesh. Brought it away a little from the trap:

20180308_183529

That yellow bit stays on until the concrete is laid to falls. It then comes off and the membrane folds out as per the video. The concrete has to come up to where I'm pointing:

20180308_183956

Now all around the room I have an expansion strip where my finger is::

20180308_183929

Not sure whether to carry it across the front and sides? In the Geberit video the sides of the wall drain unit are in the wall, not the slab:

20180308_183944

I've bent the very ends of the mesh down. Should get in excess of 50mm of concrete above the A142 mesh. Concrete will come up to the yellow flange:

20180308_184108

There's two more brackets to be bolted on, thinking to kick the end up just in front of the UFH pipe so it's well tied into the concrete:

20180308_183911

Christ on a bike, the draught coming through where there's no water in the trap!

Edited by Onoff

Having spent 2hrs plumbing tonight and amazed how little I actually got done, its good to come back home and catch up with this thread!

Life will be empty when it ends - a bit like when @JSHarris finished his build.....

14 hours ago, newhome said:

I’ll not be reading through the whole thread to catch up! Still, doesn’t look like I’ve missed much so far as you’ve barely started by the looks of things ;)

You really should. It may not seem like he has achieved much but what he has completed has been meticulously planned, drawn out, marked, counter marked, modelled and built to an incredibly high standard. 

I know because Iv been here the whole time. The whole really really long time, :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

You really should. It may not seem like he has achieved much but what he has completed has been meticulously planned, drawn out, marked, counter marked, modelled and built to an incredibly high standard. 

You forgot to mention the side projects, and how much he's drunk to get this far. 

The guys a damn legend. B|

• Like 1