Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Onoff

I've never had one with a backnut. Tbh, it's rare to get rear access so you'd never get to fit one anyway. 

The one you've got fits as follows. :

1) you measure the diameter of the fitting, the chrome bit after the brass thread.

2) you get that size tile hole saw and make a hole 2-3mm bigger. 

3) you fit an outside tap backplate into the wall at about 1/4" shy of finished tile face. 

4) you tile and grout after blanking the outlet and pressure testing. 

5) turn the fitting into the outlet until its tight. At this stage it'll likely have bottomed out without the chrome going past the tile face. 

6) measure what you need for the chrome bit to finish 3-4mm into the tile. 

7) cut that much off the brass thread. 

8) you put 22-26 turns of ptfe onto the last 25mm of thread ( so 50 turns or so in total to get the thread covered ) 

9) turn the outlet into the backplate until it's pointing down and just shy of proud of the tile face ( slightly recessed )

10) do not go so far that you have to back turn anti clockwise 

11) clear ct1 the tile hole tobthe brass thread by pumping it full.  

12 ) push the cover ring down the outlet until it rests on the tile. It's NOT there as a waterproof seal, and the rubber o-ring is only a friction ring to keep it parked. The ct1 forms the watertight element.   

Clear as mud ?

So what I said a few posts earlier. 

Although my reply lacked a good deal of detail. :D 

9 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

So what I said a few posts earlier. 

Although my reply lacked a good deal of detail. :D 

Erm...I must have missed that. Check the Welsh Wizard's post for the sort of reply I was looking for! xD

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Does the Allen key allow the chrome and the brass to be pulled apart ? Is the inside of the chrome outlet hexagon shaped to take an Allen key ?

I'm not going out to find big Allen keys at this time of night but there's deffo a hex in each bit:

20180114_223823

20180114_223838

EDIT: It was little more than hand tight, does that change things?

2018-01-14_10-43-47

Edited by Onoff

That's not the type that gets wound in by a hex key until it bottoms out and then the chrome bit get fitted over it and it's o-rings and then centralised and held in place by grub screws. 

Stick to my ( comprehensive :P ) instruction and you'll be all gravy, baby. B|

Regarding the PTFE tape just put loads on, for the depth of the outlet female thread and a bit beyond.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

That's not the type that gets wound in by a hex key until it bottoms out and then the chrome bit get fitted over it and it's o-rings and then centralised and held in place by grub screws. 

Stick to my ( comprehensive :P ) instruction and you'll be all gravy, baby. B|

Regarding the PTFE tape just put loads on, for the depth of the outlet female thread and a bit beyond.

Ta. I will likely lose the hex portion, either some or all in the brass threaded section when I cut that down. I'll therefore need to make damn sure it's screwed in tight against that rubber washer. I wonder if this would benefit from some liquid PTFE or other such setting sealant before I screw the brass in. Might guard against it loosening?

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Ta. I will likely lose the hex portion, either some or all in the brass threaded section when I cut that down. I'll therefore need to make damn sure it's screwed in tight against that rubber washer. I wonder if this would benefit from some liquid PTFE or other such setting sealant before I screw the brass in. Might guard against it loosening?

You cut the section, then screw that into the outlet until it hits the rubber washer. Then you wind the pair in, in unison, until the lot is sent home. Tbh is probably change the rubber washer to a fibre one as the rubber one may well scrunch up or displace under the torque required to compress the PTFE. It's not the greatest design but it's the same as many I've fitted before. 

In fact, I think I'd use the liquid PTFE on the brass where it screws into the outlet and a few turns of PTFE tape and ditch the washer altogether. That'll be bombproof ;)

• 5 weeks later...

SWMBO wants this cupboard primarily for a SQUARE laundry basket. FFS the door will be shut on it 99.9% of the time. She's spent ages finding the correct one.

Still, I'll get to indulge myself with the st/st lined, stacking bog roll store / dispenser hidden in the wall! :)

Got to re-jig the 15mm copper that was the original mains in but will now be the feed to the Geberit wc.

2018-02-13_05-28-12

20180213_212945

Will have to rethink the downlight I was having in the cupboard on a door switch. It'll drive me nuts having it off centre but I can't anyway now as be too close to the joist above. Two's going to be ott. PPPPPP! 

20180213_213015

Still, makes a bloody good home for the drills. Can't see that lasting 

20180213_213042

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hold on, hold on, what the f##k is going on with screw number 5 it’s way off line,

get that board off and re do it properly, 

bloody rough boarders. 

That board above the door is on with Sticks Like Sh!t as I've had a tube lying around for ages and wanted to save the Sikaflex.

11 hours ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO wants this cupboard primarily for a SQUARE laundry basket. FFS the door will be shut on it 99.9% of the time. She's spent ages finding the correct one.

Wendy knows better than to expect a nice square cupboard to keep a laundry basket in so she bought one of these. https://www.brabantia.com/uk/foldable-laundry-basket-grey/

And the moral of the story is don't mark out / cut things when you've had a sherbert! Looked this morning and the slot doesn't look perpendicular to the back wall...which it needs to be!

The pencil line running left to right is perpendicular to the back wall.

WHOOPS!

I have a cunning plan though...

Edited by Onoff

Yay! :) In the cold, sober light of day I'm bang on perpendicular to the rear wall!

2018-02-15_03-59-49

TF for optical delusions!

Moral, drink more! :)

I now need to cut an accurate 180mm dia hole in the ceiling but DON'T want to spend £30 odd on a tool with a dust cowl so off to T'station for their <£10 version.

Edited by Onoff