Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

I don’t like that small tile cut on the left of the main wall. 

I think you should move the wall :P 

Nor me. It gets worse when I tile the stub wall, I get another line of small tiles:

2017-12-29_03-12-39

Half debating more vertical mosaics in that corner?

I wonder if stretcher bond all over rather than stacked would work better and get me round the problem corners?

Edited by Onoff

I think a few slaps across the face may be in order. ? The fact is that nobody makes tiles to fit your bathroom. Get over it and you'll soon see that cuts are normal. 

On the window wall simply bring the two tiles in the centre together, then cut the mosaics out of the tiles. That'll give the illusion of continuity with the grout lines and give you bigger rips on the right hand side.

You've just got too much going on in one room to be this particular, so compromise at least a little or you'll never get it tiled. Oh, and putting extra vertical strips of mosaic in instead of smaller cuts of tile will look ? I promise you. ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I don’t like that small tile cut on the left of the main wall. 

I think you should move the wall :P 

I think he should just make some 6.973mm tile spacers (Waterjetted from 316 stainless...) and that would work fine and get rid of the cuts .... 9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

On the window wall simply bring the two tiles in the centre together, then cut the mosaics out of the tiles. That'll give the illusion of continuity with the grout lines and give you bigger rips on the right hand side.

Ta. To the rescue as per usual! You mean like this?

2017-12-29_05-51-33

(There's an art to this, can't just start blindly slapping tiles on! :) )

• Like 1

The old chicken and egg problem - what comes first the tiles or the walls.. have you thought of switching from landscape to portrait for the tiles they may create a better layout - I dimly recall there is maths for this but I can't find it. It's something to do with the aspect ratio of the tiles matching the aspect ratio for the walls - all of which look like they are higher than they are wide. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So that line of slivers up the rhs of the window is "acceptable"?

Yes. Nowt wrong with them. When it's grouted up you'll wonder what the fuss was about. ;)

The cuts under the window will soon mellow too, but that's about as thin as you'll want. You cant really do anything about that as it'll screw you for the bath if you do, and that's not what I'd do. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Like 1

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Yes. Nowt wrong with them. When it's grouted up you'll wonder what the fuss was about. ;)

The cuts under the window will soon mellow too, but that's about as thin as you'll want. You can really do anything about that as it'll screw you for the bath if you do, and that's not what I'd do. 

Most of that area under the window will be covered by the heated towel rail which might help take the eye off things! 

• Like 1

The heated towel rail looks like it will take the eye of that area under the window. Need to rethink as madam had decided the rips up the rhs of the window will annoy her!

20171230_183854

Thinking the basin will hide any small rips to the right of the towel rail if I revert to that.

Basin...how to model? :)

Idiot nephew saw the model and said "Doll's house, have you turned?". Daren't tell him I had 18 Action Men and one Barbie! 

This could be our winner. Trying to sell it that the rips to the left of the window, adjacent to the mosaic will be offset by the mosaic which will draw your eye. Also there'll be a blind on that section above the window.

2017-12-30_10-06-04

I think he should immediately start work with the welder to create a shrink ray then he could shrink the kids, or perhaps the nephew, into the model to get the complete impression. I guess creaĺting a shrink ray and finishing this bathroom are close bed fellows in terms of the time horizon. BUT the one big advantage of the shrink ray is that you can adjust the tile sizes to fit exactly so the problem goes away. Wonder what else would go away!

58 minutes ago, Onoff said:

This could be our winner. Trying to sell it that the rips to the left of the window, adjacent to the mosaic will be offset by the mosaic which will draw your eye. Also there'll be a blind on that section above the window.

2017-12-30_10-06-04

looks like you have used the rest of the tile you cut before the mosaic to carry on which IMO looks fine. only suggestion would be to mirror the same cuts on the left-hand wall.

you cant rush perfection, but as Nick said earlier once its grouted you will be the only person that cares ;) 

• Like 1