Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

11 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

I've just re-read and spotted there was a 5mm gap, albeit filled with foam? 

Yes, correct. Studs are off the wall by a minimum 5mm gap. This gap filled with foam. Studs affixed at 5 points with plastic packs to suit with a concrete screw. It's just interesting to see on the FLIR how much darker the stud positions are. Pics later hopefully when I get them!

• 2 weeks later...

SWMBO wants me to fit a mirror for some reason!  On this white wall  central to the basin. It'll cover that 1G back box:

2019-09-16_04-13-05

Plastered wall, 1/2" moisture resistant plasterboard on 50mm battens and infilled with PIR.

It'll be one of these screws:

20200212_145718.thumb.jpg.db71346a62f53547ff43b18762913708.jpg

20200212_145700.thumb.jpg.92481a4c1bf549a5b788e8b06d94a519.jpg

But what "plugs" to use? 8 gauge screws in each case which I think equates to just over a 4mm screw.

I was thinking these but use the mirror screws above, instead. Says suits "4.5x35" screws.

20200212_150417.thumb.jpg.d972db2867be5feb384301afdc8ca4ba.jpg

?

Edited by Onoff

I've never been too keen on the screw-in fixings shown (although have used the metal ones which are at least a bit better than the plastic) and would tend to use Fischer UX plugs now for direct-to-plasterboard fixing on non-heavyweight items. They scrunch up behind/inside the plasterboard and provide quite a secure fixing without damage to the board. 

Ta both. I use the metal self drill ones a lot I should have perhaps said. Was only thinking plastic as it won't ever rust and streak down the wall. Sometimes think too you ideally need to use the screw that comes with them?

Not overly keen that the mirror screws aren't stainless. 

This mirror needs to go on now simply to keep madam quiet but come off again later as I've a demister pad to go on the back.

Thinking maybe these, if they don't work I can change to the metal curly wurlies.

20200212_161055.thumb.jpg.d2ec35be279f5f526885966aa8e2a968.jpg

The metal screw in ones are aluminium so no fear of rusting and staining.

If you want to unscrew it later, there are two things to bear in mind.  Firstly make sure the screws are not too tight self tapping into it. Often the case if they are not the supplied screws with the fixings.  If they are too tight, hold the fixing in a vice and run the screw in and out several times until it becomes loose.  If it is too tight then the fixing can unscrew out of the plasterboard.

And to be sure a squirt of sticks like or your chosen adhesive as you screw it into the plasterboard helps prevent it unscrewing out of the plasterboard.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The metal screw in ones are aluminium so no fear of rusting and staining.

If you want to unscrew it later, there are two things to bear in mind.  Firstly make sure the screws are not too tight self tapping into it. Often the case if they are not the supplied screws with the fixings.  If they are too tight, hold the fixing in a vice and run the screw in and out several times until it becomes loose.  If it is too tight then the fixing can unscrew out of the plasterboard.

And to be sure a squirt of sticks like or your chosen adhesive as you screw it into the plasterboard helps prevent it unscrewing out of the plasterboard.

? Used boxes of the metal ones over the years. Stuck in my head they were steel for some mad reason. Good shout on winding the "wrong" screw in first. 

Metal curly wurlies it is then! (Still smiling here that they're ali).

I generally I must admit drill a hole first in the pb to minimise damage/bulging as they screw in. 

• 1 month later...

Took the rainfall shower head down to clean the other night and dropped it on the ceramic tiled floor! (I had had a beer).

Slight dink in the rainfall head but so far no visible damage to the tiles. Back up after descaling and it's not noticable.

Surprising how much rusty crud in the little mesh filter. 

On 18/03/2020 at 22:38, Onoff said:

The magazine fed bog roll holder is on hold given the current "ammo" shortage...

Just think, if you had built it earlier, and had it "fully loaded" you would have been ahead of the game with your loo roll stockpile.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

Just think, if you had built it earlier, and had it "fully loaded" you would have been ahead of the game with your loo roll stockpile.

Genuinely lucky enough to have been fairly well stocked prior to all this. Living where we do we were thinking we might get snowed in. Not having a 4x4 can make it tricky!

Snowmobile.....yet another project!

• 5 months later...

@Gav_P in answer to your question on @pocster's thread.

The wet room corner, without screens:

See the 4x4 tiles that are laid to falls in the picture. The full tile line outside that gets wet, so the top of then loo seat a bit and the bath corner. Up to the grey mat on the top right. Its the tiles get wetter that anything else. After showering it's a quick squeegee over the floor then kick the towel around the floor.

2019-06-22_05-56-50

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

@Gav_P in answer to your question on @pocster's thread.

The wet room corner, without screens:

See the 4x4 tiles that are laid to falls in the picture. The full tile line outside that gets wet, so the top of then loo seat a bit and the bath corner. Up to the grey mat on the top right. Its the tiles get wetter that anything else. After showering it's a quick squeegee over the floor then kick the towel around the floor.

2019-06-22_05-56-50

Wee still goes everywhere. We all know everyone’s wee’s in the shower ...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

SWMBO is still blathering on about some sort of dedicated storage in the bathroom cupboard! I want it on wheels so it can roll out allowing access to pipes etc. As it stands, looks much more organised with the door shut!

IMG_20201020_090205654.thumb.jpg.e8f04c3f6b318ba2f3cad4c5d9858404.jpg

I've just acquired some offcut ply strips, nom. 220mm wide. Been a bit damp but drying out fine other than done staining:

IMG_20201020_090516204.thumb.jpg.fbc92a1aae79b9ab76764bb94eb65a6d.jpg

IMG_20201020_090346883.thumb.jpg.d68644e6a51307cf3d19ca3a55ab564c.jpg

It's nicely close grained and no holes on the edges. It's this:

Polish_20201020_091254398.thumb.jpg.0e530b21bafb6db37258f82df016bebb.jpg

Mulling over whether I could use two of the long strips either side as "sides", maybe spaced with a gap in between. To gain shelf depth and aid air flow for when towels etc are on it. The shelf battens would join the uprights together.

Then have a couple of solid shelves at the bottom with slats up above, all made out of the ply. 

Not sure whether this ply is thick enough to be used as battens similarly as slats.

As to finish...maybe a blue woodstain?

Off down the rabbit hole we go!

• 2 months later...

My ceiling speakers...

IMG_20201231_181633746.thumb.jpg.d5850a722c10f94adb9e12fee79b745c.jpg

They fit in from the ceiling side but the screws go into silly little clips above the pb. In this pic three clips used, with the 4th screw into the adjacent noggin.

IMG_20201231_181829641_HDR.thumb.jpg.1f637cb29343270cedeaa786c90ccb56.jpg

IMG_20201231_181911848.thumb.jpg.82a37540dac97dc32aff5fea1c4f4d43.jpg

Long term the plan is a fire hood like this:

IMG_20201231_181946705.thumb.jpg.c54690a7bf71a7fcaabb84c8b4f608cb.jpg

It'll be pushed down onto a bead of intumescent sealant. The gap between pir and hood will then be gun foamed. The speaker cable will come up through a conduit and sealed with Wiska gel. It'll be as good as I can get getting back to airtight as I cut a bfo in the vcl. 2nd pic above you can just see the green vcl through where the foil is split on the edge of the hole.

What I need are "permanent" clips top side that I won't ever have to access again. Maybe a ply square with some threaded inserts? A steel plate with some tapped holes? I could stick either down to the pb topside.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I need to order some M4, A4 stainless, cheese head screws:

IMG_20210111_164232378.thumb.jpg.f658a318e2465629966d920e366c539d.jpg

I’ve probably missed this somewhere but what is powering/controlling your speakers? 

Trad hifi setup?

Bluetooth controller/amp?