Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO kindly sprayed the grout sealer this morning so luckily it's been a day we can have all the windows open. The can says wait 24hrs before using as a wet room...

Potentially then the shower can at long last be tested/used...HONESTLY!

2019-05-27_04-08-30

(Trying to get them to wait until my lads back from university as we joked my daughter was to have the first bath, my boy the first shower, me the first use of the wc and SWMBO gets to clean it!)

So whilst it all looks pretty inside, outside is a different story!

One ropey old drain "grate" that feeds into the cess pool via clay pipes.

20190527_142217

Coming in from the left is the old, (white) waste from the upstairs entrance suite. The bath used to tee into that but exits now at that bend under the tee:

20190527_142233

A bit concerned at the angle of the 2" waste for the shower I think is a bit steep (though Nick reckons its OK):

20190527_142248

As a temporary solution (my temporary :ph34r: All the black, solvent weld is just shoved together with silicon grease case I'm ever in a position to re-render smoother and possibly EWI.

20190527_154446

(You can see where this window used to be a door, I've still to try and remove the old footings for a long since demolished side extension so I can level this side of the house).

Eventually this old grate to be replaced with a gulley(?) or whatever needs be but set a bit lower.

20190527_153001

Bathroom look great. Exterior look poor. I'd knock it down and rebuild it personally. Do you need a hand?

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bathroom look great. Exterior look poor. I'd knock it down and rebuild it personally. Do you need a hand?

The place leaks already thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

That was when he was 12 though ?

A big factor in him leaving home was a working bathroom I suspect! ;)

SWMBO in there now putting "womanly" touches to it:

20190527_182411

Seems we're waiting for No.1 son to come home before the shower gets christened.

What next?

- Mirror (& demister pad)

- Posh, chrome toothbrush charger thing

- Cupboard light

- Cupboard skirting

- The body dryer

- The extract take off for the wc

- Loo roll holder

- The proper door

I'm intrigued by these "magnetic" door locks I read about on here. Too late to have gone off invisible hinges.

Ventilation is a must as there's nothing in there at the moment. Still thinking home brew, single room MVHR.

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A big factor in him leaving home was a working bathroom I suspect! ;)

SWMBO in there now putting "womanly" touches to it:

20190527_182411

Seems we're waiting for No.1 son to come home before the shower gets christened.

What next?

- Mirror (& demister pad)

- Posh, chrome toothbrush charger thing

- Cupboard light

- Cupboard skirting

- The body dryer

- The extract take off for the wc

- Loo roll holder

- The proper door

I'm intrigued by these "magnetic" door locks I read about on here. Too late to have gone off invisible hinges.

Ventilation is a must as there's nothing in there at the moment. Still thinking home brew, single room MVHR.

Erm - excuse me !

The rotating hydraulic shower head !!!

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

Erm - excuse me !

The rotating hydraulic shower head !!!

You mean the rise and fall shower head!

Just looking at a salvaged flow switch in the shed actually. Wondering if it could trigger the rise/fall mechanism and the LED halo set in the ceiling...

It could still happen! 

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You mean the rise and fall shower head!

Just looking at a salvaged flow switch in the shed actually. Wondering if it could trigger the rise/fall mechanism and the LED halo set in the ceiling...

It could still happen! 

Yeah ! And so might brexit ?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A survey suggests that 53.4% of Buildhubbers WANT to see a rise and fall shower head.....

I'm in the 46.6% ! Body dryer next surely? No. 1 son will likely only care about one thing rising and falling and it won't be the shower head ;). Body dryer is a must for the full shower experience, the rest is just faff. 

• Haha 1

Another milestone reached!

With a house full of girls I was forced into the new bathroom to properly maiden test the wc. I can confirm that it happily shifted last night's beef shatkora!

I did have to use the brush after...another first! 

• Haha 1

Good old Viz.....

A lot of great inventions born from there. :D 

Some thoughts now, as to how the bog-roll holder will work..... Maybe have them coming down and sideways rather than down and out towards you? That would naturally arrest the avalanche, and you simply slide a fresh round out as necessary.

A buildhub first, "The ACME magazine-fed arse wipe dispenser."

10/10.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Good old Viz.....

A lot of great inventions born from there. :D 

Some thoughts now, as to how the bog-roll holder will work..... Maybe have them coming down and sideways rather than down and out towards you? That would naturally arrest the avalanche, and you simply slide a fresh round out as necessary.

A buildhub first, "The ACME magazine-fed arse wipe dispenser."

10/10.

Aim is to mock up the bog roll dispenser on the bench with a Perspex side to observe the action and tweak as required.

I'm bringing power down into the cupboard anyway so can tap off for any "rolls left" counter, auto retracting holder etc.

2019-06-02_09-46-40

Edited by Onoff

• 2 weeks later...

Up in the loft tonight starting to "box in" the body dryer:

Basically I've this bloody great rectangular "hole" penetrating the vcl above the ceiling plasterboard along with the downlights and speakers. Going to do my best to "reinstate" the vcl at all these points. With hindsight etc I'd have put a drop ceiling in.

The blue lining the hole, is dpm that's spray glued over the green vcl that originally covered where the body dryer is. The vcl was cut, folded up against the joists faces and again glued on:

20190611_200934

I ripped some 6" Asbestolux type boards to 145mm, the joist depth, on a wet tile cutter, to line the hole:

20190611_205931

A good bead of this intumescent sealant:

20190611_210422

Around where the boards were going to sit:

20190611_211438

Then the boards screwed on with some st/st screws and the sealant roughly gone over with the Fugi tool:

20190611_220448

Next a close fitting, insulated "lid", probably pink pb as the first layer or maybe Asbestolux... Needs to be removable to give periodic access to the body dryer as the connections aren't maintenance free (as in they're screw terminals. Thereafter a galvanised conduit run back to the board. 

Edited by Onoff