Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

I WAS going to have 4 deck lights along the side of the bath panel down low along the floor and probably two on the end.

When I say low I mean halfway up the slimmer tile at the bottom.

To that end I've 6 20mm conduits that exit into a service void outside the bathroom.

2019-01-21_10-31-52

But...a slight, last minute change in layout means I've now 5 "big" tiles instead of 4. 

So just 5 down the side maybe?

Or even 9 as in one in EVERY tile including the corner one?

Too Close Encounters?

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

Not sure about that layout of tiles on the front of the bath, but you've got to look at it not me!

I’m with you, that would irritate my OCD! The tiles would have to line up for me to relax in that bath ? ?

5 hours ago, newhome said:

I’m with you, that would irritate my OCD! The tiles would have to line up for me to relax in that bath ? ?

7 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Not sure about that layout of tiles on the front of the bath, but you've got to look at it not me!

I hear you both! :)

It was done initially as the removeable ply panel halfway along is only one tile wide. It has one full and one cut tile bonded to it. I could have centred the tiles with the rest and had two full and two cut tiles on the removeable panel. I felt that would make for a fragile removeable piece with overhanging, unsupported tiles once removed.

The main reason for it though is both SWMBO and I would rather look at full or near full width tiles. Centred and we'd have had thinner vertical tiles each end; by the wall and the mitred corner.

Really doesn't bother us. Beauty is in the eye etc.

Sit on the wc if you really want to stare at it full on! :)

(That is when the wc is finally fitted...).

4 hours ago, newhome said:

Why are some of the grout lines on the floor black? Or does the camera lie? 

They're wet under the Antinox sheets.

A combination I think of never really having lifted them up since tiling when I was sploshing water about in there. I also think there's an element of condensation about it. Room is v.cold at the moment. There's 175mm of insulation under the slab. Where warmer slab meets cold room maybe?

It'll all come good with some proper heating and venting in there.

@Nickfromwales, these SELV deck lights. Obviously meant for garden decking but IP67 and cheap!

The lamp unit itself is IP67. 

The (very) thin stainless flange sits on the face of the tile.  Water could then get between the flange and tile face and in turn under the bath. In the garden no issue of course. Not that it'd be that much water anyway.

I was going to apply a thin bead of silicone sealant to act as a sealing washer but figure this might be detrimental to removing later on to replace. To replace it'll be a thin blade job either side to lever them out without damaging the tile.

What do you reckon to silicone grease here instead of silicone? 

Was going to do the deck lights...didn't:

Didn't realise the front plate needed a bigger hole!

20190128_191304

Out with the tile file:

20190128_191244

A horseshoe of silicone;

20190128_191501

20190128_191607

All baby wiped off.

Stuck the riser thingy up too:

20190128_205038

20190128_205058

And put the flush plate on as well. YES I know it's off centre. Realised it would be pretty early on during tiling.

20190128_205127

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

No more plinth lights. Agreed with SWMBO none at the end. Tbh the LED strip should compliment the 5 (if set on blue). Maybe solder that all up / fit tomorrow.

Going to sit and eat a pomelo and wait for the snow!

2019-01-29_08-49-58

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No more plinth lights. Agreed with SWMBO none at the end. Tbh the LED strip should compliment the 5 (if set on blue). Maybe solder that all up / fit tomorrow.

Going to sit and eat a pomelo and wait for the snow!

2019-01-29_08-49-58

Ahead Warp factor 5 Mr. Sulu  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CC45 said:

they look good tbh but I think I'd be tempted to have a few on the end....

Only got 6 conduits for the SELV stuff. Originally planned 4 up the side and 2 on the end. Don't really want to squeeze 2 leads up one etc.

I need to say "No more!" and step away. :)