Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

irrational  or ludicrous ..??

even if it doesn’t back up, if the traps dry out it will smell anyway... and if it backs up to first floor then your shower wall drain in that new ground floor shower will need one hell of a non return valve on it ..!!!

I was intending to stop the bath and wall drain wastes just above a grate on the drain so the backing up soil run won't affect either.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If it backs up, it's when it gets to downstairs WC pan level that your "problems" start.

That's currently the indicator we have a problem, that and the upstairs wc level rising / going slow. Then it's drain rod and if I'm really lucky shovel time!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ever thought that fixing the tank and changing it for a treatment plant may be a good move ..??

No argument from me. SWMBO won't hear of it due to £££. Would rather splurge cash on takeaways and tat rather than improving the fabric of the house and cutting fuel costs. :(

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Would rather splurge cash on takeaways and tat rather than improving the fabric of the house and cutting fuel costs. :(

It's called living as opposed to sitting eating beans on toast cos your shit flows the right way ;)

1 minute ago, newhome said:

It's called living as opposed to sitting eating beans on toast cos your shit flows the right way ;)

Won't be so funny when we're too old to fix the decrepit, freezing house and living in one room.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Won't be so funny when we're too old to fix the decrepit, freezing house and living in one room.

Bah humbug. Sell the plot, cash in on the crazy prices, move to a retirement flat and be nice and cosy ;). Alternatively, finish the bathroom (hint) and move onto insulation as your next task while you're still a spring chicken :). ZooT can give you lessons as he will have done his whole house by then :D

• Haha 2

In this photo, you can see a horizontal white 35mm OD pipe coming out from under the dormer, down low and teeing into the 11/2" run. That's from the upstairs ensuite basin. It can't be raised, it is where it is.

dropin2.thumb.jpg.4de9d950132f302f76dcbe620de0502e.jpg

If I add a 87.5o 110mm branch like @Nickfromwales says, in place of the 45o bend with the cap on: 

dropin_001.thumb.jpg.ce7b48d3cb2bb71e03c3150d3e29f965.jpg

...and put the ensuite shower waste into one of these:

dropin.JPG.479d1d62bf66014be2312c2018740ebb.JPG

...then all that will end up too high for the basin waste to tee into. 

Any suggestions? 

Cheers

On 26/08/2018 at 10:49, Nickfromwales said:

You cannot have the 50mm run going all that way and then dropping vertically without an AAV at the head of the run. Id never run it like that as even with an AAV you'll likely cause enough of a vacuum in the drop to pull on the sink trap. We've just had a thread here showing that this doesn't work, and that dropped in 50mm too, with an AAV, but still wouldnt let the shower discharge. :/.

Thinking further on this...the current run in white, compression fittings has never had a issue with the shower or basin discharging and there's no AAV in the run. Is it maybe that the upstairs ensuite overflow thst drops into this pipe is acting to allow air into the run? In the last pic above it's the small white L shaped run appearing from the insulation halfway up the wall.

25 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Isn't there something seriously wrong if an overflow lets air in? Should it tee in before the trap otherwise it'll let sewer gasses out into the room?

The shower/basin waste run as is (in white), just ends above a grill over the drainage gulley as per the sketch on p77 so no gas ingress as such but maybe a little "stinky waste pipe" smell yes. SWMBO really not keen on dropping shower etc into the soil pipe so I reckon it''l be my long run idea but with a universal solvent weld AAV like this and then run the wc overflow separate and out the eaves.

Universal Air Admittance Valve 32/40/50mm Black-speedy-plastics

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The shower/basin waste run as is (in white), just ends above a grill over the drainage gulley as per the sketch on p77 so no gas ingress as such

Ah, being somewhat obsessed with airtightness I hadn't considered that possibility.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO really not keen on dropping shower etc into the soil pipe

The reason being? If you don't put it in id think your were nuts tbh. Its 100% the best option without a single doubt. Any waste run over 3m should be designed out, let alone a vertical drop down one floor level. 

No deal Noel. ?

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The reason being? If you don't put it in id think your were nuts tbh. Its 100% the best option without a single doubt. Any waste run over 3m should be designed out, let alone a vertical drop down one floor level. 

No deal Noel. ?

If I get any blockage in the soil run in the loft then it's backing up in the shower. Again if the shower trap dries out we're letting in fumes straight from the cess pool rather than one longish waste pipe that's open to the air where it exits above the grill.

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO really not keen on dropping shower etc into the soil pipe

Sorry, hadn’t realised she was an M&E Engineer, you should have said ... 

Doing it properly may mean a few changes but they are all for the right reasons. A lot of your issues are because things have

been done wrong in the past so fixing them now is the best way otherwise you are creating problems down the line. 

47 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry, hadn’t realised she was an M&E Engineer, you should have said ... 

Doing it properly may mean a few changes but they are all for the right reasons. A lot of your issues are because things have

been done wrong in the past so fixing them now is the best way otherwise you are creating problems down the line. 

She's an expert on everything trust me! Well at least she feels she MUST comment. Everytime I mention MVHR or passive esque stuff she batts on about not wanting to suffocate and the fact you can't have the windows open! :)

Still doesn't solve the basin waste being too low.

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Everytime I mention MVHR or passive esque stuff she batts on about not wanting to suffocate and the fact you can't have the windows open! :)

Bring her over again. I promise she won't suffocate :D

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I needn't have allowed for clearance around those plastic sleeves then!

Where 4 tiles meet:

So a little jig:

2018-09-22_03-55-40

Fire up the Starretts:

20180922_154218

A few 50mm clearance around flush & poo pipes. A bit more round the studs! :)

20180922_154852

20180922_154945

Just got to transfer to the 4 tiles now!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pocster said:

You worry me @Onoff 

We’re on 79 pages - what will happen when I do my bathroom ? . Scared to start a separate thread to rival yours !!! . Looks like you are doing a top job though .

I worry me. :)

Hoping the jigsaw blades @Nickfromwales recommended  will do the job on these curved tile cuts:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Sabre+%26+Jigsaw+Blades/sd2581/Tungsten+Carbide+Grit+Jigsaw+Blades/p67688