Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

The Geberit wall drain...

Falls are good but I'd like to make good a shallow "channel" where the angle former sat. Maybe 2mm deep. The blue membrane folds out and gets stuck down to the concrete. It's worked out good tbh.  

Would a smear of tile adhesive suffice?

20180612_213332

20180612_213350

20180612_213417

7 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Have you got any SLC handy?

Otherwise tile adhesive will do for 2mm

Ta. No, no slc here. Does the concrete channel need priming with anything before the tile adhesive gets smeared in?

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Only if the concrete is new.........

So you’ll be fine ..!

This bit, my exotic SBR, pea shingle mix was laid April 1 2018. That's yesterday in my book!

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Iirc the video shows tile adhesive being used to set the membrane ?

Dampen the slab with a wet sponge first. 

So I'm at about the 3m 50s stage in the video. Feels to me that whatever they're trowelling on is more of a sticky, plaster like "creamy" product than the Mapei tile adhesive I've just used?

ae235.jpg.4ef688795ef88e2e696d7308c53ec032.jpg

3 hours ago, bassanclan said:

I think it's just a very small trowel size to be able to smooth it so tightly

Ta. When I used the tile adhesive to fill the Aqua Panel joints I just poured some water in a bucket and mixed by hand with a trowel. Seemed to go OK. Would "whisking" it with the paddle mixer make it go "creamier"?

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Ta. When I used the tile adhesive to fill the Aqua Panel joints I just poured some water in a bucket and mixed by hand with a trowel. Seemed to go OK. Would "whisking" it with the paddle mixer make it go "creamier"?

No and you don't want it to as with a cement based adhesive, the creaminess is from water, cement and air mixing. Trapping air in any cement based product that you want to be strong is not a good idea.

As @Nickfromwales said - wet the concrete with a sponge and then slap the adhesive on....

• Thanks 1

That seemed to work and goes on the same colour as in the Geberit video! :) Seemed "smeary" enough too.

20180613_192401

Holding the membrane up with a bit of duct tape to keep it out of the way. Maybe a mm over but I can live with that. 

20180613_192427

So in theory, once dry, the membrane folds out and gets similarly "smeared" over/on.

The Geberit wall drain, it's one thing watching the CGI video! :)

So the membrane is sort of rolled up tight. It's Sellotaped which you remove:

20180614_181948

It appears completely waterproof:

20180614_182006

Guessing I need to make damn sure there's no sharp edges here:

20180614_182203

I'll have to watch the video again! Seems the tile (mosaic shown as example) sits like this:

20180614_182331

20180614_182345

There's a bit of very thin st/st sits between the membrane and tile at the threshold to the drain:

20180614_182405

I've also ordered the st/st front plate to cover/finish it at just over £70!

Edited by Onoff

B0LL0CKS! :(

At around 4.45 in the video there's a stainless steel strip that goes over the drain threshold.

I can't find it!

I can't see that I've "boarded it in" the walls but...

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

B0LL0CKS! :(

At around 4.45 in the video there's a stainless steel strip that goes over the drain threshold.

I can't find it!

I can't see that I've "boarded it in" the walls but...

Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll see if it’s available as a spare .. 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll see if it’s available as a spare .. 

Cheers. Could be a lifesaver! :) Going to have a bloody good look first. Always the option to drill a hole (s) for the snake scope and have a look behind the mitre section.

22 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Cheers. Could be a lifesaver! :) Going to have a bloody good look first. Always the option to drill a hole (s) for the snake scope and have a look behind the mitre section.

You must have taken a photo when you fitted it surely? You've got photos of EVERYTHING ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I'd clean forgotten about the floor / back of the laundry cupboard. SWMBO wants to put the dirty lien basket in here. Plan ORIGINALLY was to bring the back wall of the cupboard forward hence not caring about the rough, high slab edge. In the cold light of day I felt I needed to level it off with the rest of the floor. The old incoming mains water can be cut off now at/below floor level and that new copper used to down feed the cistern (pipe poking out from the right. 

20180714_172041

DPM coming up in blue, I cut that off 2" above the corrugated / EPS slab perimeter strip.:

20180714_172111

And then hacked off the raised edge:

2018-07-14_05-46-45

Figure I'll fill that void with some concrete, level off and tile all the way in. I can figure the back of the wall / boxing in later.