Jesus wept

Just now, Tom said:

Having our windows fitted this week. Almost all in, and none have been fitted correctly. All will need to come out again. I give up.

Don’t keep us in suspense, we need details 

"So you've installed in Nudura before?" says I. Yeah yeah yeah, no probs.

So that's one less thing for me to worry about? I can just put that one to bed and leave that in their capable hands? Of course!

None of the windows have been installed with the Nudura specified EDPM tray or taped up the sides/top. Simply put in the opening and foamed/silicone in - with daylight visible in some places between frame and reveal.

• Sad 2

Nothing. Surprises. Me. I don't know how people just leave their builder to it. I've seen drawings held upside down, walls started in the wrong place, windows wrongly measured, all sorts. It's a very steep learning curve, I stay around and discuss everything without trying to be difficult, but I've had to learn how to keep everybody calm so they can work well. I've finally found a small builder who accepts this (and my little quirks like 'no dust in the house please whenever possible, cos I've got asthma')  and we work well together and he's happy for me to share my research without his masculinity being threatened.  I'll be good for the next one😂

• Thanks 1

Still some money owed, but they're a very reputable local-ish firm and are going to make good, so I'm happy in that respect. Just amazed that these things can't be got right in the first instance.

Having managed big IT jobs in the past the lesson you learn very quickly is to talk every major aspect of the job through with the folk doing it making sure everyone knows exactly what is being done and how it’s going to be done and never assuming they ‘know’ even if they are the pros that do know. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

reputable local-ish firm and are going to make good,

One of my mantra,s is “doing it right in the first place cost much less than putting right afterwards (and easier)”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

"So you've installed in Nudura before?" says I. Yeah yeah yeah, no probs.

So that's one less thing for me to worry about? I can just put that one to bed and leave that in their capable hands? Of course!

None of the windows have been installed with the Nudura specified EDPM tray or taped up the sides/top. Simply put in the opening and foamed/silicone in - with daylight visible in some places between frame and reveal.

Should have used Illbruck FM330 foam! 😂

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Still some money owed, but they're a very reputable local-ish firm and are going to make good, so I'm happy in that respect. Just amazed that these things can't be got right in the first instance.

By "reputable", do you mean that they have a reputation for not doing it correctly?

Adrian

2 hours ago, TonyT said:

They probably get away with it 99% of the time as most customers wouldn’t do the research…

maybe they would if it was important like a tv or something😀

Perhaps, but incredibly, while we were discussing how to make it right, they showed some pictures of a recent install they did in Nudura where they used all the right tapes/trays etc! So why the 🤬 didn't they do the same for me? 🤯

• Sad 1

No drawings, but had had a site visit. Even if they felt it wans't their remit then why go ahead and fit the windows when they will clearly leak like a sieve?

Gonna have to stop as my BP is rising again....

You have to realise they don’t care, majority of trades just want to get it done and beat the traffic home.

the ones that do care are a minority,

probably price for the extra time and materials and loose out a lot of the time.

even worse now with mobile phones..