importing from Europe

Apologies if this has been covered before, and I think it has but can't for the life of me find the thread, but if I want to buy something from Spain can I somehow avoid paying the local sales tax then reclaim the VAT I will be charged on import here - or do I have to pay the local sales tax, which I guess I won't be able to claim back?

Many thanks!

I have just brought some timber in from Holland, only a few hundred £ worth so I just paid the local tax and it was delivered within two days!

as a company (high value machines) we pay UK vat on customs clearance and claim back.

that probably doesn’t help you at all.

Edited by markc

If the Spanish supplier is geared up for export then VAT free export should be an option but it must leave the premises and go to a non EU VAT address. So depends on the suppliers setup and you may have to pay VAT twice as HRMC are not interested in EU VAT already being paid.

Thanks both. It's a stove at over EUR2k so looking at an additional EUR500. But what the hell, if self-building has taught me anything it's to be prepared to be shafted at any and every opportunity