Does anyone utilise their top hung roof lights?

I am at the stage where i need to start looking at ordering the rooflights, I need 6 in total and as 4 of them are in bedrooms i need at least 2 of them to be top hung,

my question is does anyone actually use the top hung ability so you can stand in them, or could you have got away with center pivots which are cheaper?

the top of my windows are about 1.8m so a top hung would mean i could stand in them quite happily but are they worth the extra cost?

any opinions welcome

TIA Ed

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 00.36.42.png

Keylites are pivots even if top hung till you take the 2 red screws out. I've never taken the screws out and use as pivots BUT handle is at bottom on a top hung. I couldn't reach the top of window so wanted this. 

Only reason for having top hung is if you need them for MoE as despite a centre hung one being large enough they are barely big enough to get through. 

Are these just for aesthetic reasons ..? 

Another point to consider is how often in this country do you have your roof lights wide open?

We have 5 centre pivot velux windows where we are at the moment and 99% the time they are opened say 6" to allow for ventilation. That much opening isn't even likely to take the top past the plasterboard level inside.

If there is beautiful views over open countryside, with no road noise then it is something you would enjoy being top hung, but otherwise it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Perhaps keep the top hung rooflight for only the most used/master/lounge etc

Thanks for the input guys.

3 hours ago, Oz07 said:

BUT handle is at bottom on a top hung. I couldn't reach the top of window so wanted this. 

in our case, this will be a bit of a downside as a normal (center pivot) handle will be easier for us to use.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Are these just for aesthetic reasons ..? 

not really, they are the only windows we have upstairs but TBH I can't see myself actually hanging out of them very often.

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Another point to consider is how often in this country do you have your roof lights wide open?

Iv never had any hence the question but I can't imagine its very often 

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

That much opening isn't even likely to take the top past the plasterboard level inside.

my thoughts exactly :) 

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

If there is beautiful views over open countryside, with no road noise then it is something you would enjoy being top hung, but otherwise it's probably not worth the extra cost.

yes, but it is next to the road so noise would be an issue.

I think after having slept on it and reading your responses i think we will just go for 2 top hung for MOE, there is quite a big difference in price so I could get higher spec ones if I keep the majority center pivot,

Next question, Does anyone know where to get cheap Keylite flashing kits? and or opinions on Keylite or Velux? Iv fitted both and they seem very similar but have any of you got a strong opinion either way?

I have 5 keylights on my roof. Very easy to install apart from the obvious heavy lifting bit. My windows all came with the flashing kit so not sure how much they where. The rep called into my house when he seen my roof go up and I was able to order direct from him and as they are based close to me went to the factory and collected them.

Sterlingbuild were the cheapest I found online and can do top hung. 

I priced them up and asked my merchant to match the price and they got pretty close - for ease I will go with them. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Sterlingbuild were the cheapest I found online and can do top hung. 

I priced them up and asked my merchant to match the price and they got pretty close - for ease I will go with them. 

Exactly the same for me. I found the cheapest online quote for triple glazed Velux and flashings. Then asked Jewson to price match and they got within £30 which wa good enough for me knowing that returns/issues would be simpler. 

If your reason for choosing top hung is just because the handle is out of reach on a velux centre pivot, then choose Fakro instead with the handle at the bottom.

For my plant room I bought one of the budget 3G Eco+ windows from sterling build. Yes it was cheap and tripple glazed, but it didn't exude quality, in particular the trickle vent mechanism struck me as poor. It will be interesting to see how it performs in the shut position when we eventually get round to air tightness testing.  I thonl we will be choosing Fackro for the bathroom and en-suite.

Just to say a friend fitted the top hung Velux 3G with upvc trim inside and I did not like the internal finish, personally I thought it looked like a cheap plastic window, and I would choose the painted wood instead.

We have a two  Velux integra (wired version) over our stairs and two in the utility vaulted ceiling where we can't reach them - work great at ventilating the house in the evenings and we have them programmed to open and close automatically (blinds also to minimise solar gain). The matt white painted finish is quite smart.

We went for manual velux in the attic rooms and do use the top swing more than the pivot.