Extension of Time Letter

Triassic

Ive just received this Extension of Time Letter from my BCO.  The outstanding items are mainly metal work associated with a Juliette Balcony and a large balcony to the front of the property. These were originally going to me made out of steel, but the first firm went bust and I'm now on my fourth company and finally I have someone to do the work, but the pace is painfully slow, due to it being small job and a huge backlog of work they have.

What does this letter really mean, as I'm not sure. What fees are involved as they don't make this clear?

image.png.aa98b3f76838556ed0f6920a32890492.png

Edited by Triassic

In Scotland you have to formally apply and pay each time you extend the building warrant £100 a go for a 1 year extension.

Can you complete without the front balcony, put a temporary Juliet balcony there and do the proper balcony later? 

Are you using council BCO? This concerns me - I have a private firm contracted, not had them round in ages and don't intend to until I am ready to complete. The house 'may' be occupied😬

Put a tempory balustrade up, then apply for regularisation down the line once you get the balconies sorted. That's exactly what we've done. Not pretty but BCO happy and that's all I care about at the moment.

16587547565236581349032305852230.jpg

Just been looking at this a bit more online, not sure if they have tweaked the wording slightly which entirely changes the context.

I found a document which says "Upon completion of the work, the Approved Inspector will issue what is known as 
the ‘final certificate’ to the local authority and applicant, confirming that the work in 
the initial notice is complete and that the inspector is satisfied that it complies with 
the building regulations requirements"

and

"A completion certificate (or ‘final certificate’ if process by an Approved 
Inspector) issued within 8 weeks of completion of the approved building 
work as long as it complies with building "

The email sent to yourself @Triassic suggests you have to complete within 8 weeks of occupation. The wording I found suggests they have to issue you a certificate withing 8 weeks after completion.

Two different things I think.

My reading of the letter is that...

They are obliged to try and issue a completion cert within 8 weeks of occupation UNLESS a time extension is granted.

If no extension is granted they will try but be unable to issue a cert due to the outstanding issues. They say at that point the council BCO takes over and there might be a fee for that.

My reading is they are optimistic of getting the extension.

The extension if granted only runs to the date in October. 

Regulation 17 para 2 says...

(2) The specified period referred to in paragraph (1) is eight weeks starting from the date on which the person carrying out the building work notifies the local authority that the work has been completed.

It sounds like they believe your occupation means the authority will consider it complete.

Just seen 17A says...

17A.(1) A local authority shall within the specified period give a completion certificate in respect of part or all of a building where building work is being carried out and where all of the following circumstances apply—

(a)part or all of the building is to be occupied before the work is completed;

(b)the building is subject to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005; and

(c)the authority is satisfied, after taking all reasonable steps, that, regardless of completion of the current building work, those parts of the building which are to be occupied before completion of the work currently comply with regulation 38 and Part B of Schedule 1.