Dry lining garage

Hello Everyone,

After lurking silently on the other site for a number of years I have finally decided to start contributing albeit with a question.

Anyway, moving into a new property next week and could use some decent advice regarding dry lining a garage. Current plan is to extend kitchen into a partial garage conversion. Currently I only have a single skin brickwork wall (i.e. 102.5mm thick) and I am wanting to install something like an 89mm dp stud wall fitted up against the brickwork with full fill insulation, VCL and then just plasterboard finish. I wasn't planning on adding any additional heating to the room (or windows). 

With the conversion being a kitchen I am slightly worried about condensation risk amongst some other things and would appreciate it if someone would pull my ideas apart if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance

D

Guest Alphonsox

Welcome - A few questions come immediately to mind

• What are you doing with the floor in terms of insulation etc ?
  • same question for the ceiling.
  • Are you intending to get building control involved ?

Floor will be timber battens and boarding on existing concrete floor to suit level difference. Insulation between battens. Both the floor and the wall depth are restricted to the interface of the original property. 

Ceiling will be insulated between existing flat roof joists.

Building Control will probably be involved at some point. I should point out that I do work in Construction (although behind a desk) and I am aware of what I need in terms of regs. Just wanting to bounce some ideas off people.

Never given it a serious thought. I am assuming that as this will be an extension of an existing kitchen that it wouldn't require anything additional other than perhaps relocating and enlarging the existing extractor above the hob.

Am I looking at this too much like a diy problem?  

My only input is you are dividing the garage. So there will still be a "garage" even if it's only big enough to park a moped. So it will still requre a fireproof wall between what is left of the garage and the "extension"

Watch for making a "plasterboard tent"  Normally the walls of a garage are well ventilated with air bricks, and if you are not careful you can end up with cold air getting in front of the insulation virtually negating it's effectivenes.

I thought that a sketch would help. It's a bit crude but you get the idea of what I am intending.

Happy with the understanding of what I need in terms of fire and structural input. Good point about the air bricks I won't be able to confirm this until I get the existing finishes off the walls.

WP_20160531_19_08_33_Pro.jpg

Since you are making a new opening in a structural wall, building control will have to be involved. There is a window and door in the "extension" so that's ventilation taken care of.

Fireproofing the wall to the garage is easy, 2 layers of plasterboard each side with the joints staggered (and filled)

Thanks. Like I said I'm happy with my fire and structural regs.

Have done something similar to my parents place several years ago. They are now starting to get some minor condensation on the walls and it's mainly a living space as opposed to a kitchen.

As nobody seems adversely worried I'll just have a go and see what it turns out like.

• 11 months later...

Deadalus, did you line with 89mm stud. How did I you affix to the brickwork? Presume that you use dpm between the stud and brick.  When you said full fill  did you leave an air gap between the brick and insulation?