Posts and Rope/Chain

We are looking at putting in some posts and rope/chain in between where we moor our boat in the garden (boat currently at the marina so not in picture). One side would be around 10.5m and the other 16.5m.

This is mainly as idiot hire boats occasionally get onto the wrong side and end up stood in our garden despite 'private' signs or mistake the flagged area for somewhere they can pull up (anyone that hires a narrowboat - take note you always stop or moor on the towpath side)!! We are removing the flags as we end up with boats getting stuck and revving their engine and flooding the flags so they have moved. The most logical option is just to turf the area where the flags are and either side of the boat looking at fence posts and rope/chain.

My wife was considering wooden posts and rope and had seen a website  https://richthepostman.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral#posts with the posts we can push straight into the garden.

IMG-20220717-WA0000.thumb.jpg.64faf4bea62a85ad2061cef7504c6102.jpg

She had a quote for the cheap 45 degree angled with 18mm double rope and the cost on this website is about £870 😱 but I'm worried about them being wood, the proximity to the canal and likely them getting wet etc from boats and would prefer something more weatherproof. 

The posts need to be about 700/800mm in height with about 1.5/2m in between each post. I've seen some plastic posts and chain but I can't seem to find them in the height we want. 

Pics of the area from each side;

IMG-20220717-WA0004.thumb.jpg.db7db580a09315199251cb33f535c504.jpg

IMG-20220717-WA0003.thumb.jpg.3dcfb490a052ffb2723485640d680db7.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks 👍

Standard 3" square garden fence posts.  Get the ones with a pointed end and you can (if the ground is not too rocky) just hammer them in most of the way with a sledge hammer.  Drill a hole through with a flat wood bit near the top to feed a length of rope through.  A nice thick chunky bit of traditional looking rope would look nice, low enough that you can step over it onto your boat.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Naval Mines sound more logical and appropriate to end the problem. Hopefully it happens once then they all see it on TV and get educated.

BAE Systems still make these aiui which you can dial up and down between a force of a small amount of TNT and 600kg of TNT. You get a show because they also have a shelf life, then blow themselves up.

You can help the other side too.

The Shipwrecked Mariners Society still use WW2 mines for fundraising for "shipwrecked" people.

You can host a fundraising location to help survivors and victims of canal shipwrecks.

In a few months there may be some secondhand ones from Ukraine on Dark Web Ebay - if you are a bargain hunter with insufficient security clearance to purchase one officially.

ATB.

Ferdinand

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

We aren't keeping the slabs and I think they are a bit ugly to be honest!

2 hours ago, Canski said:

I'm not sure where you are but I have a selection of plastic posts (albeit attached to unused road signs at a house I am going to demolish. I could also throw some lifebuoys in. 🙂

IMG_0897.jpeg

Thank you, this may be an option. Last year we fitted 90 metres of retaining wall with motorway crash barriers so who knows road signs may work! 

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

Standard 3" square garden fence posts.  Get the ones with a pointed end and you can (if the ground is not too rocky) just hammer them in most of the way with a sledge hammer.  Drill a hole through with a flat wood bit near the top to feed a length of rope through.  A nice thick chunky bit of traditional looking rope would look nice, low enough that you can step over it onto your boat.

I think this is the cheapest alternative to the website ones but if we can find something not wood that would make me happier!

1 hour ago, Simplysimon said:

scaffold poles cut to length?

They could slot the bottom so they slip over that corrugated edging by the water. A couple of drilled and tapped holes for securing bolts.

I've used 10 x 10 recycled plastic from here https://www.earth-anchors.com/product-category/lumber/ for decking in the past. Won't rot, so it's ideal for here. They have a free cutting service. Not sure if that extends to a free drilling service. But it's worth an ask. It's available in 8 x 8 which would work for rope posts. Just needs the holes (and the rope). 

What's your plan for fixing them? Can you dig near the edge or allowed to bolt to the hard standing that is the edge. 

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

The cheapest option is always knock in round posts and half rounds as horizontals ie horse fence.

It looks rustic, if that is what you want. Best source is an agricultural supplier.

For this I would suggest heavy posts - either 5" 6" or 8".

Should work out at less than £10 per metre run.

Ferdinand

• Thanks 1

How about...

Posts set into freestanding concrete bases, whiskey barrels etc:

1218780401_images(2).jpeg.3c79cde91ee0a5c0b8dfc73e02449585.jpeg

Or 25L containers filled with concrete.

FDS4G97HDXM93IW.thumb.jpg.9afeb1d6a12236ad63642c55b6b8a529.jpg

I suppose the issue with both the above is some toe rag could push them into the canal...

Final offer...4" soil pipe set into the ground, fill with concrete or pea shingle even. Cross pipe at the top for a rope.  You could prime and paint whichever V&B pastel shade floats your boat.....

Could even 3D print you some themed, feature pinnacles to slip on top!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

I've used 10 x 10 recycled plastic from here https://www.earth-anchors.com/product-category/lumber/ for decking in the past. Won't rot, so it's ideal for here. They have a free cutting service. Not sure if that extends to a free drilling service. But it's worth an ask. It's available in 8 x 8 which would work for rope posts. Just needs the holes (and the rope). 

What's your plan for fixing them? Can you dig near the edge or allowed to bolt to the hard standing that is the edge. 

Best of luck.

Cheers I've messaged them too. Re fixing, digging near the edge is fine but we are removing the hard standing flags as they have all lifted up and will probably just keep it grass I think. Hammer them into ground, could put a bit of concrete in if needed I guess.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I suppose the issue with both the above is some toe rag could push them into the canal...

We aren't towpath side so they would struggle unless they were hanging off them and pulled them in when they get stuck in our garden. An idea worth considering though!

All the boats should  have poles so why they can't just push themselves off is beyond me rather than jumping off into our garden and then getting stuck when they can't get back on the boat! Some idiot ripped off our duck ramp a few weeks ago (hire boat). The marina from the hire boat company replaced it though and made us a much nicer one just in time for the ducklings.

IMG-20220621-WA0022.thumb.jpg.97fbf6c63bccd775716f5c83370e58b5.jpg

• Like 3

The other type of inexpensive fencing that I like is metal "Estate Fencing", like this:

chatsworth_estate_fencing.jpg

The one above is "Chatsworth" style fencing at £25 + VAT per metre, which is not bargain basement, but is very reasonable for what you get. I think that would look attractive along your canal bank, and could be postcreted in without risk of rotting in 10-15 years. It should outlast you.

You can get gates for it, which would help if you are mooring your own boat. And if within say 250-500mm of the edge people would be discouraged from getting off (the boat). Especially people on their first boating holiday ... who are your main customer group aiui?

Here's another example:

unnamed-1.jpghttps://www.thetraditionalco.co.uk/estate-fencing/

I have noticed developers using an ersatz manufactured version of this, which looks good and must be inexpensive - but I have no idea where it is sourced. Distant crop from Streetview.

image.png.fff19119f8a364c8c8956a1192018180.png This is on a development called Sutton Heights by a company called Gleeson if you want to follow up. Detail below. Above is outside the show house.

image.png.9e0a7f94257686ea06e3740e1f0d6295.png

Ferdinand

• Like 1

There you go.

Now you have so many options you will be like the centipede in the poem choosing one.

The centipede was happy, quite

until the frog in fun said,

"Pray - which leg goes after which?"

He worked her mind to such a pitch

she lay distracted in a ditch,

considering how to run.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Recycled plastic:

https://www.kedel.co.uk/mixed-plastic-lumber/SG045085.html?

Cheap as and seemingly made to order. They might put a rope hole in for you.

Edit: Apologies, I see @Tempalready linked this.

Ooh I didn't spot these on Kedel. This could work well if we can drill through them and thread rope and very cheap too and no maintenance. Hmmm, definitely worth considering.

8 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Ooh I didn't spot these on Kedel. This could work well if we can drill through them and thread rope and very cheap too and no maintenance. Hmmm, definitely worth considering.

Ring them up. As I say, made to order suggests they keep a stock of plastic granules and only fire up the machines when required. Makes some sense in keeping with their green ethos.

If you look at the various photos they have little brackets and cleats fixed on for fences panels, wire etc. They likely wouldn't be adverse, or have perhaps done before, ones with hole(s) through, top or top and middle. Decide though first on your rope diameter and be aware it might swell a little when wet.

You could do top and mid rope for the bulk of the run then say have a gap where you berth with a clip across rope.