Comfort cooling MVHR

2 hours ago, TFnovice said:

Sounds interesting - could you post a photo and details of the manufacturer?

I'm getting Hemera external roller blinds from Hallmark Blinds.  I have to say that the customer service from Hallmark has been rubbish, but they were significantly cheaper than the other supplier I looked at, Caribbean Blinds.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I was really keen on the idea of external motorised blinds but I couldn't find a single installer/manufacturer that was prepared to supply/install on our exposed site. It seems they all have a reputation for being unreliable with the motors being the vulnerable point. Someone more technical than me can explain how ultra reliable garage door motors can be made but not this, size I guess?

P.S. Quite a shame really might have helped reduce the number of leaks from my Internorm windows :/:/:/

P.P.S. I'm waiting for the UK Technical Director of Internorm to visit my site. His diary was booked three months ahead. What does this tell you?

In what way is your site exposed that put them off - wind? cold?  Not sun I presume.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with Internorm.  Doesn't sound very encouraging.  Where are they leaking?  Have the windows themselves failed or is it an installation issue?

27 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

P.S. Quite a shame really might have helped reduce the number of leaks from my Internorm windows :/:/:/

P.P.S. I'm waiting for the UK Technical Director of Internorm to visit my site. His diary was booked three months ahead. What does this tell you?

Pretty much what several members of this forum have to say about Internorm installations, I should think.  I think we've had more observations about leaks around Internorm windows than we have for any other make.  Given that Internorm are a premium product (they were far and away the most expensive of the four companies we had quotes from) I'd expect better.

1 hour ago, TFnovice said:

In what way is your site exposed that put them off - wind? cold?  Not sun I presume.

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with Internorm.  Doesn't sound very encouraging.  Where are they leaking?  Have the windows themselves failed or is it an installation issue?

Wind and driving rain. the shutters don't like either (apparently).

Most of my issues were down to the installer getting aspects of the design wrong and then having to rip them out and put them back in.

The current issue is design related. The product (in my view) is not as resilient to severe weather as the marketing would have you believe.

If there is one lesson I can give anyone reading: NEVER accept the adaptation and re-installation of a window/door.

In fairness my installer (more recently) has been responsive to the issues. Its just a right royal PITA! :(

Hindsight.....................if I could bottle it.......................this time next year Rodney :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Pretty much what several members of this forum have to say about Internorm installations, I should think.  I think we've had more observations about leaks around Internorm windows than we have for any other make.  Given that Internorm are a premium product (they were far and away the most expensive of the four companies we had quotes from) I'd expect better.

I guess as long as they keep up the super smooth sell and marketing. Not to mention the tens of thousands of pounds they must spend exhibiting at the big shows. Then hook em' they will.

But equally; you never hear that many positive stories about the window installation market. Perhaps the bias on here is just a reflection of their market share?

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

I was really keen on the idea of external motorised blinds but I couldn't find a single installer/manufacturer that was prepared to supply/install on our exposed site. It seems they all have a reputation for being unreliable with the motors being the vulnerable point. Someone more technical than me can explain how ultra reliable garage door motors can be made but not this, size I guess?

Mr Hagen by any chance?

50 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

But equally; you never hear that many positive stories about the window installation market. Perhaps the bias on here is just a reflection of their market share?

Does Internorm have a big share amongst self-builders?  Off the top of my head I can think of about 4 or 5 members here with Internorm windows, and most of them have had installation-related problems. 

Not sure what window make is the most popular here, might be worth starting a poll thread to find out, purely in the interest of balance.

Just now, JSHarris said:

Does Internorm have a big share amongst self-builders?  Off the top of my head I can think of about 4 or 5 members here with Internorm windows, and most of them have had installation-related problems. 

Not sure what window make is the most popular here, might be worth starting a poll thread to find out, purely in the interest of balance.

I'm going to go and wind Internorm at Build It next weekend. Pretend I've got money but have been put off by the horror stories.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm going to go and wind Internorm at Build It next weekend. Pretend I've got money but have been put off by the horror stories.

Ask them about how many versions of their integral blinds have been gone through in the last decade. ANy why !

50 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

A poll strikes me as a good idea, as someone who will be choosing a window supplier in the coming months. 

Edited by Dreadnaught

Agree re poll. Also been looking at Internorm - quite like the theory/marketing materials, the windows themselves would look like they should be well made so good to know if issues are all installer related which could affect any supplier's products

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2019 at 18:01, Ferdinand said:

Ask them about how many versions of their integral blinds have been gone through in the last decade. ANy why !

Went to Build It Live. Didn't see any integral blinds on the Internorm stand. Having a play with the big sliding doors and I'd say the Velfac ones were smoother and easier to slide than the Internorm.

Upset the installers of my 2G windows though. Wasn't going to speak to them but they approached me:

"Can I help you Sir?" 

"No thanks we've already got your windows fitted".

"Happy with them?"

"No!"

It went downhill from there with me berating the surveyors for allowing too much clearance so the job runs smooth and the fitters for whacking 'em in with no foam or Compriband and covering everything up with trim leaving huge gaps. 

Give her her due she did say it was something their after sales would probably still address even outside the 10 yr guarantee.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Went to Build It Live. Didn't see any integral blinds on the Internorm stand. Having a play with the big sliding doors and I'd say the Velfac ones were smoother and easier to slide than the Internorm.

I was at Internorm in N London recently and they do have the internal blinds there ( not that we're looking) - 3G unit, blind unit installed outside of the 3G with separate pane that opens up to allow easy cleaning/fixing etc etc.

The internorm people at the Build It show in Mancland last year had the internal blind version (HV350 plus the optional blind if i recall). It looks so neat. Couldn't help but think though, that instead of having an integrated solar panel to recharge the battery, the blinds themselves could just have integrated solar cells.

Internorm are the only people i've been able to find who integrate blinds in this fashion - correct me if i'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

I was at Internorm in N London recently and they do have the internal blinds there ( not that we're looking) - 3G unit, blind unit installed outside of the 3G with separate pane that opens up to allow easy cleaning/fixing etc etc.

We have that style of windows at work (not necessarily Internorm, just the style). Stupid electric blinds are always breaking. Somehow they fall off and then collapse in a heap at the bottom. I have integral blinds in my 2G windows. They haven’t broken yet but some are now a bit stiff 9 years on (they are manual rather than electric). 

I have Internorm, no blinds though. Nice windows absolutely rubbish install and threshold issue still not sorted. Never again, could have saved many £k’s with other suppliers who seem to have better....or at least some..... after sales service and better installers.