SIPS Garden Office for 3k?

Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have already said, what will ultimately be our 28 square metre garden workshop and studio cost a shade over £4K

I’m not going to get a ‘van down a 2m gap xD

plus would need a load of work to bring it up to SIP standard wouldn’t it?

10 hours ago, CC45 said:

@Triassic - surprising how big a 44mm2 house con look on a picture!

It has a double bedroom, a small bathroom with shower, an open plan living room kitchen and an occasional sleeping deck over the bedroom/bathroom. We’ve lived in it for nearly twelve months and love it. It takes twenty minutes each week to clean the place from top to bottom.

• Like 1

These sheds/tiny houses etc are making my project look very expensive! C.£40k for 43m2 useable, this is the entire project cost except for land itself, so includes services, access, related permits, foundations, and internal fitout (inc a full kitchen with dishwasher, induction hob etc, and MVHR). Insulation to about double BRegs minimum, triple glazed aluclad windows.

I had to spend a big chunk of my budget on the sewage treatment system- about £7k- dictated by ground conditions.

20 hours ago, daiking said:

I’m not going to get a ‘van down a 2m gap xD

plus would need a load of work to bring it up to SIP standard wouldn’t it?

I thought there were oodles of vans under 1.95m wide :P.

Edited by Ferdinand

13 hours ago, Crofter said:

These sheds/tiny houses etc are making my project look very expensive! C.£40k for 43m2 useable, this is the entire project cost except for land itself, so includes services, access, related permits, foundations, and internal fitout (inc a full kitchen with dishwasher, induction hob etc, and MVHR). Insulation to about double BRegs minimum, triple glazed aluclad windows.

I had to spend a big chunk of my budget on the sewage treatment system- about £7k- dictated by ground conditions.

Our price ncluded all the above, the only thing we didn’t need was the septic tank, as there was already one on site. We’re also on limestone so the ground was rock solid !

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

Our price ncluded all the above, the only thing we didn’t need was the septic tank, as there was already one on site. We’re also on limestone so the ground was rock solid !

We're in the same ballpark, then. I tend to have to pay a bit extra for materials due to my location. Lovely little house, by the way!

It as a last minute addition to our planning application, we’d originally thought of having an old static caravan for the duration of the build, but a 12 foot wide caravan wouldn’t pass up an 8 foot drive and craning it over 75 foot tall trees wasn’t feasible because the road is too narrow for the size of the crane necessary. 

As as we live in a National Park, so we are hoping to let it out after the completion of the new build. The local expert recons we could get £500 per week! 60 weeks and it’s paid for!

9 minutes ago, Triassic said:

As as we live in a National Park, so we are hoping to let it out after the completion of the new build. The local expert recons we could get £500 per week! 60 weeks and it’s paid for!

You would definitely need PP to keep that as a holiday let.

We "negotiated" to keep ours after the build.  Initially the planners were only going to give temporary PP for the static 'van, which is their standard policy. When I pointed out that on the day of completion, I could remove the 'van from the site, and then immediately replace it with an identical one in an identical location, and it would qualify as  a garden outbuilding under permitted development, they then changed the planning permission to "habitational use of the caravan shall cease upon occupation of the house"

So while I can lawfully keep my static 'van as a studio and workshop, I cannot let it. That would require PP which would be unlikely to be granted.

44 minutes ago, Triassic said:

It as a last minute addition to our planning application, we’d originally thought of having an old static caravan for the duration of the build, but a 12 foot wide caravan wouldn’t pass up an 8 foot drive and craning it over 75 foot tall trees wasn’t feasible because the road is too narrow for the size of the crane necessary. 

I would be interested to hear how that goes, and the regulation involved etc.

• 1 year later...
On 01/06/2017 at 12:46, MrMagic said:

For info/inspiration here's something that I'm just in the process of finishing up - my garden shoffice (half shed, half office)

Wall construction was (inside to out) - 

- 11mm OSB

- Multifoil insulation (I was curious to see how well it worked..)

- 4x2 stud filled with 100mm Knauf Ekoroll

- 9mm OSB

- Breather membrane

- Horizontal batterns

- Vertical cladding (gravel boards "good" side facing out)

(there should be more air gaps and such, but it's a shed at the end of the day...!)

Roof is EPDM on 18mm OSB, 4x2s @ 600 centers, mix of ekoroll and celotex, 11mm OSB internal finish

Floor is 18mm OSB on 6x2s @ ~400 centers. Ekoroll supported by breather membrane looped over the joists

Costs add up surprisingly quickly but saved money by sourcing all the joists from a nearby bungalow that was being scalped and turned into a house - the builder said it's a shame as it all treated, slow grown, dead straight wood but because it isn't graded he has to burn it or skip it. All the joist wood cost me £20 + labour for denailing etc.

Smallest 9000btu ASHP for heating

Still needs some finishing touches and another coat of paint/stain (Cuprinol Shades) but otherwise it's probably very close to what you're trying to achieve.

IMG_20170531_210611.thumb.jpg.831cc9545c92e850b916d40f88a210b7.jpg

Old topic, but have you got some more photos. How much did it cost you in the end?

On 25/02/2018 at 09:52, Triassic said:

Definitely don’t go anywhere near any PP for a holiday let before you bag the vat reclaim! And if HMRC, it’s a home office. 

@Patrick - apologies I don't check in here too often!

Rough costs - probably around £2000 all in

Structural timber - £20 - I found a local bungalow that was being 'scalped' for a loft conversion and just took all the timber from it. Great, slow grown, straight old timber. Doubled up a few for floor structure strength

OSB -~£200 - 18mm OSB to roof, 11mm OSB on all external faces, 9mm OSB internal wall lining, 18mm OSB floor

Windows / doors - £500 - New, found on eBay

Roof - £200 - EPDM - kit brought online included upvc trims

Insulation - £200 - Celotex to roof and floor, 100mm rockwool in walls and then 'spacetherm' blanket

Heat pump/air con - £500 - eBay

Footings - £200 - Hand dug, approx 1.5ft deep x 1ft wide 'ring' beam, 1 course of concrete blocks laid on side, 1 course of bricks that you see above the grass

Cladding - £200 - Rough sawn 'gravel boards' from local timber yard, breather membrane and battens behind

The ethos was to keep it good but cheap, use off the shelf items from builders yards etc. I didn't take many pictures whilst we were building it, heres the few I can find...it was built as 4 wall frames which I bolted together then added a roof and a floor to. The floor joists rest on the concrete blocks with some DPM and treated with creasote (the proper stuff, not the replacement rubbish)

Obligatory hole in ground...

image_18_09_15_154712_1.thumb.JPG.948f27ca438959348f5e1e1235d27cde.JPG

Foundations...

image_04_06_16_120203_.thumb.png.c460f7d5e264fbd41befe9b3130c9718.png

Blurry people doing things with power tools...

image_09_12_16_131354_1.thumb.png.7f941904aad72c1d6fbca98f19494ac6.png

Nearly there...

image_27_11_16_144406_1.thumb.jpg.190ee68cc97d7116de6c615b2496060f.jpg

Edited by MrMagic
Added photos
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 01/06/2017 at 12:46, MrMagic said:

For info/inspiration here's something that I'm just in the process of finishing up - my garden shoffice (half shed, half office)

Wall construction was (inside to out) - 

- 11mm OSB

- Multifoil insulation (I was curious to see how well it worked..)

- 4x2 stud filled with 100mm Knauf Ekoroll

- 9mm OSB

- Breather membrane

- Horizontal batterns

- Vertical cladding (gravel boards "good" side facing out)

(there should be more air gaps and such, but it's a shed at the end of the day...!)

Roof is EPDM on 18mm OSB, 4x2s @ 600 centers, mix of ekoroll and celotex, 11mm OSB internal finish

Floor is 18mm OSB on 6x2s @ ~400 centers. Ekoroll supported by breather membrane looped over the joists

Costs add up surprisingly quickly but saved money by sourcing all the joists from a nearby bungalow that was being scalped and turned into a house - the builder said it's a shame as it all treated, slow grown, dead straight wood but because it isn't graded he has to burn it or skip it. All the joist wood cost me £20 + labour for denailing etc.

Smallest 9000btu ASHP for heating

Still needs some finishing touches and another coat of paint/stain (Cuprinol Shades) but otherwise it's probably very close to what you're trying to achieve.

IMG_20170531_210611.thumb.jpg.831cc9545c92e850b916d40f88a210b7.jpg

Looks brilliant mate and exactly what I am after, any ideas of costs of this?

Just looking to do the shell and flooring.

Thanks