SIPS Garden Office for 3k?

Ferdinand

50 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

On 31/05/2017 at 20:23, Triassic said:

Ok, the cheap option, over stock SIPs panels from here https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/s-i-p-pannels

SIP PANEL 142 MM THICK 1.220 wide x between 7.3 and 7.5 m long ---- £175 each 

That is quite interesting. £20 per sqm for 6" insulated panels, even at weights of perhaps 200kg+ each. Assuming you can move them and handle them could be a good idea.

Put it on a suitable support and just cut off the lengths you need for your next building with the mother of all circular saws. What would you cut these with?

They are ok to handle - just cut one side with a circular saw and turn it over and do the other side and it will be through. 

6 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That is quite interesting. £20 per sqm for 6" insulated panels, even at weights of perhaps 200kg+ each. Assuming you can move them and handle them could be a good idea.

Put it on a suitable support and just cut off the lengths you need for your next building with the mother of all circular saws. What would you cut these with?

Adding it up, the SiPs for the 8x12 I discuss above, leaving the gap for the door, are £940 at £20 per sqm.

= Perimeter is 12ft + 8ft + 8ft + 7ft (5ft door gap)

Plus 12ft length for roof + 12ft for Floor

All x 8ft = (35 + 24) x 8 = 590 sqft = 59 sqm ==> £1180 for the panels before any wastage etc and wooden framework required etc.

It is true that the panels are better, but the price just for the raw secondhand panels is the same as the whole kit.

Very tempted by one of those kits. Look to be incredibly tightly priced.

Ferdinand

If you look on youtube the Septics use a chainsaw. It's a tough call as to whether the kit or the panels would be a better option. I would be going for the 142mm ones. All it is, is a box, it can't be that hard to make out of panels

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, daiking said:

Very interested in this but fear to ask how much something garage sized would be 5m x 3m+

3.05x4.29m = £2059 ex works inc VAT (Spalding)

That gets you the insulated box and everything to fit it together. They probably have some design flexibility if you ask. Simeon is easy to talk to.

Prices and details

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insulated-Garden-Studio-Office-Room-Pod-DIY-Self-Build-Kit-Bespoke-SIPs-Panels-/222302350517

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

3.05x4.29m = £2059 ex works inc VAT (Spalding)

That gets you the insulated box and everything to fit it together. They probably have some design flexibility if you ask. Simeon is easy to talk to.

Prices and details

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insulated-Garden-Studio-Office-Room-Pod-DIY-Self-Build-Kit-Bespoke-SIPs-Panels-/222302350517

Ferdinand

Sounds very interesting. Need to get a patio but and the drive redone first though.

20 hours ago, daiking said:

Went on eBay and actually ended up looking at oval glamping pod frames. £900 for a 4x3 oval.

That would look great but wondering what material would you clad the exterior in?

Install those black acoustic dampening sponges inside, and return to the womb.

Vertical box section corrugated would bend round it. Assuming it is only oval on plan, and not like that egg-boat that George Clarke featured. Is that the budget I can hear flying off into the distance making squawking noises? :ph34r:.

video-undefined-190B484A00000578-57_636x

(Hotlinking the Daily Mail ... sweet revenge.)

I would incite you to try covering the egg in those gold mosaic ceramic tiles, but only from 250 miles away.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 22:41, daiking said:

Very interested in this but fear to ask how much something garage sized would be 5m x 3m+

My plans are being drawn up at the moment. I will post them when they are done 5.1m by 3.3m. I will be making it out of SIP panels from 

https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/product-page/s-i-p-panel-172-mm-thick-1-220-x-5-400-5-500-long

I have bought 3 sip knives as a second hand job lot from eBay.com, they are on their way now.  My guesstimate for the completed shell, not including electrics or combi central heating/HW is £10,000

1 hour ago, mrfish said:

My plans are being drawn up at the moment. I will post them when they are done 5.1m by 3.3m. I will be making it out of SIP panels from 

https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/product-page/s-i-p-panel-172-mm-thick-1-220-x-5-400-5-500-long

I have bought 3 sip knives as a second hand job lot from eBay.com, they are on their way now.  My guesstimate for the completed shell, not including electrics or combi central heating/HW is £10,000

Looks good.

My plans have changed since the Garden Office ... I will now be doing a roughly 3m x 4m leanto/Covered Way, since that is closer to what is wanted. I make my budget about £2k now for a non-insulated structure with a flag floor, cladding, and an opal polycarbonate roof, which is being built next week and includes the mother-of-all-fences to enclose the small yard.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, daiking said:

Interesting “shed” on George Clarke last night. Don’t suppose it was particularly air tight as 2 walls were on casters and completely opened out.

It did look great. The LED strip lights inside were a nice touch to mirror the gaps outside. Whatever he saved on the scaffold planks cladding was spent elsewhere on the steel, lights and spring castors I'd say. 

For airtightness I doubt you could light a candle in it over the winter with the gales rushing through it.

48 minutes ago, Dudda said:

It did look great. The LED strip lights inside were a nice touch to mirror the gaps outside. Whatever he saved on the scaffold planks cladding was spent elsewhere on the steel, lights and spring castors I'd say. 

For airtightness I doubt you could light a candle in it over the winter with the gales rushing through it.

Obviously they were in the 'trade' so must have a source for boards. Would cost me £10-12 a board. Is this the cheapest material to be working with?

Also interesting to see cladding going onto the brick house in the background and the beach/dune he seemed to be building

I would not rate scaffold boards as being durable enough for outside decking without decent timber treatment, having suffered several rotten boards with my Kwikstage.

The best I could find was 50 boards for £350 so £7 per board for sound but used boards.

I paid well under £10 board for graded scaffold borads. Brand new but for whatever reason didn't make the grade; minor splits/checks, maybe under thickness one end. They come unbanded. Got them from a chap out near Maidstone. 

For my big gate I Cuprinoled the 4 edges and stood the ends in a bucket of the stuff. Gave it 3 coats of Bedec Barn Paint and it still looks great.

I'd definitely use them to clad say a garden room.

I reckon they would wear a bit quick as decking. You would need something non slip too. Cuprinol's non slip decking paint is expensive but excellent.

Edited by Onoff
"not" to "non" etc

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not here yet, nowhere near... But a Friday thought. 

I'm wondering about future size and placement of a garden office/room because of garden landscaping due soon.

Anyway, I would be looking at a wooden structure next to a boundary so under permitted development I am limited to 15 sq. m. Ok I suppose I can live with that. I made an assumption that by the time you have external cladding, 100mm thick frame, 25mm IWI, some sort of board finish, even if ply/osb with surface mounted service you're looking at a 200mm wall thickness (for argument sake).

With a typical 3m x 5m build, that wall thickness would steal 20% of the floor space! Giving me only 12 sq. m inside when 15 would be better.

Which leaves 3 options* to improve the situation:

1. Reduce the wall thickness whilst trying to achieve similar thermal performance to 100mm cheap in frame insulation and 25mm PIR internal**

2. Make it 'non-combustible'. Any idea what thickness I would be looking at for similar thermal performance? Single skin block + Int or Ext insulation? Sounds like it would be thicker to me...

3. Move it 1m from the boundary. Simplest solution but the garden is not that large...

*A square or even circular shed would generate no meaningful increase in internal area :P

**This thermal performance has been plucked from the ether.

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

I want a garden office.....£20k+ for the flashy ones 'garden retreats' etc...............  I would love to get one made and clad in larch to match house......£3k would be a dream price!

You could build it to full BR house standards for that money although I doubt they are. 

Having spent a while on BH, I am quite sure that something shed like can easily be achieved (mostly self built) for not much money. I am looking for something closer to house standard and I don’t intend on spending much more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lizzie said:

I want a garden office.....£20k+ for the flashy ones 'garden retreats' etc...............  I would love to get one made and clad in larch to match house......£3k would be a dream price!

I have already said, what will ultimately be our 28 square metre garden workshop and studio cost a shade over £4K