Remove or leave existing concrete slab prior load bearing wall removal

Keymon

Hello,

We are in a Victorian house renovation. We plan to remove one load bearing wall in the kitchen, and that requires a steel beam. If relevant: the 1st floor joists will be at the level of the beam (not on top). The beam will be supported by 2 posts with pad foundations that will be built too.

We also want to break and rebuild the existing concrete slab in all that area, due poor patchy construction. There is concrete at both sides, the old kitchen and a bath from the side extension. To reduce costs, and start early, I have somebody to help removing all that concrete before all the prior works start in some months time.

But now I was thinking that maybe it would be convenient to NOT remove the concrete slab, as maybe the people removing the load bearing wall would need it to put the acrows, temporary load bearing studs, support for needles or whatever. Reading some sites like this one I confirm my suspicion (just found this):

The loads need to be transferred to a sound, relatively thick, oversite concrete floor slab, in good condition, via spreader plates.
If the oversite concrete taking the temporary loads is thin, has voids underneath, weak pockets of subsoil underneath, or building services in that position, then serious problems and failure could occur as a result. Therefore, it may be prudent to drill, or to excavate carefully, a trial hole for investigation, to ascertain the thickness of the concrete, hardcore, and soil, and to check for any building services, eg pipes, drains, and cables, in the area.

What do you think?

Some photos and plans:

image.thumb.png.5b57d3fc82be040be56c82a3cd757ca6.pngimage.png.6625e74c82f9a854162c08e0cb494ef8.png

If it's a ground bearing slab then what is under the slab is just as capable as taking the load.

It could be slightly less convenient as it may want some additional spreader plates (for example, thick timber sections) to avoid digging in. But it isn't a show stopper by any means.

• Like 2