Heat Wave Problems

We are now, thankfully, living in our bungalow. Here in East Anglia we have been going through and extreme amount of dry warm, and now, hot weather. Does anyone have any idea how to cool a bedroom without installing air con? I am a very poor sleeper and can hear a gnat fart at fifty paces during the night.

I am particularly thinking of how we can have windows open and still maintain security. We do have two, large, windows in the bedroom so a through draught should be possible but how do we make the windows secure? I know that in Spain they have inward opening windows with metal grills on the outside. Is the only solution to change the windows to that design?

13 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Yale and others do a window lock, so the window can be open but cannot be opened further.

Our windows can be opened a crack and locked in that position but it is just not enough in this really hot weather :(

49 minutes ago, patp said:

Our windows can be opened a crack and locked in that position but it is just not enough in this really hot weather :(

They all can.

This what I was referring too

https://www.diy.com/departments/yale-white-metal-window-ventilation-lock-pack-of-2/254525_BQ.prd?ds_rl=1272379&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzqSWBhDPARIsAK38LY9-w6TVjzd8dsE8KkZEYVeyCYJHSLpBKRbWcLE20_O009I_qRiovwIaAjyLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&storeId=1217