Dogs and Weedkiller

Not totally sure I am in the right section here, however...

In a small garden (rental, empty for part of Covid), a neighbour phoned me to point out a persistent (will need to check name) weed which is coming into his back garden allegedly from mine. Since it was empty for 18 months, this is very possible. My garden mainly has weed membrane, so it may be shallow or at he edge - need to go and look today.

Fair enough, so far - no problem dealing with the root cause on my side if that is the issue, and it is probably better if I do it rather than T. N is pleasant, if a touch overconcerned sometimes, and has lived in his house since 1971 when it was new.

However, I will plan to use Glyphosate 360 if it is as claimed, and my (relatively new) tenant has a dog, which needs to be considered very carefully.

The plan will likely be to install a temporary knocker-post and sheep-netting fence to screen off the bottom half of the small garden which I think needs treating, and I'd welcome any comments.

How, long, for example, will I need to keep the area screened off? I have generally avoided weedkilling in areas where dogs have access, and I need to be safe.

Would I be better to go for a different weedkiller?

Dog and tenant are both very civilised, house is beautiful, and the dog is well-looked after during the day. 

Any advice is very welcome.

Ferdinand

16 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If it is Japanese Knotweed then you have a problem, everything about the challenge is here: https://www.rhs.org.uk/weeds/japanese-knotweed hard work ahead if it is. 

Fortunately, it isn't.

JpK I know and love. 

I'm going to pop over for a chat today to check what it actually is.

I'm not posting a guess, because we'll spin off topic as per any day with 'd' in it 🙂 (said the culprit).

I just keep the dog away until the spay has had chance to properly dry.  If it's a dog that has a habit of eating grass however, perhaps keep it fenced off until the spayed area has started to desiccate and becomes unpalatable.

• Thanks 1

Is it just me, but I would not dream of going to a neighbour and saying "Oi, your weeds are coming into my garden, sort it out"  I would just deal with them in my garden myself.

Unless it was JKW

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is it just me, but I would not dream of going to a neighbour and saying "Oi, your weeds are coming into my garden, sort it out"  I would just deal with them in my garden myself.

Unless it was JKW

Some people!

I am with you.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Unless it was JKW

It wasn't in that tone. And as a LL I would far rather over-pander to neighbours on small things rather than have them never talking to me, especially as it has just had an extended period of emptiness.

Small 30ft long by 6m wide gardens.

It turns out to be bellbind (hedge bindweed) - the one with white bell-flower.

And it has swallowed a chunk of the garden including the laundry pole to the top in a few days, but should be conquerable with glyphosate and dog kept indoors or supervised for 24 to 48 hours.

I had one neighbour for a T who used to put in a barking-dog complaint each year for about 4 years as a way of getting at the T and me. Council officer had to come round with a clipboard every time, as they had no vexatious-complainant para in their procedure. It drove T distraught. Nasty bullying individual, and in the end we had to go via Community Safety.

Ferdinand

20160728A Derek Harper, Creative Commons

This is the same stuff many councils used or still do to spray all their weeds in parks & public places. I’ve never heard about dying dogs albeit some councils are only phasing out in recent years because of biodiversity issues not because of rare breed dogs.

Whenever I use GP I tend to keep my dog away from it for an hour, as said above the council use it liberally along all the path edges, no warning signs etc so I presume the risk is low.

Whatever weedkiller you buy should come with full safety instructions about withholding times etc, so be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendation and you should be fine. I thought bindweed was lovely, till I got to know it. 

Apparently when farm reps of yore used to visit in yesteryear they drank a capfull of Roundup to prove its safety.  I don't know what their current state of health is. 

Glyphosate is regularly used as a desiccant (drying agent) on standing cereal crops for human consumption pre harvest (not without controversy). 

I would have no issues with exposing a  dog to it post spraying. 

• Confused 1

I had ground elder and treated it over time by painting Glyphosate with a paintbrush, tedious, but it meant it only reached the target and as I also keep bees it kept it away from them

I wouldn't worry too much about dogs after it has dried unless they have a habit of eating what you have sprayed

2 hours ago, elite said:

I had ground elder and treated it over time by painting Glyphosate with a paintbrush, tedious, but it meant it only reached the target and as I also keep bees it kept it away from them

I wouldn't worry too much about dogs after it has dried unless they have a habit of eating what you have sprayed

I have discovered that the doglet (gorgeous Blue Staffie) is currently staying with its Grandma.

So Happy Days.

3 hours ago, Iceverge said:

I would have no issues with exposing a  dog to it post spraying. 

Nor me, or landmines.

35 minutes ago, bgmill said:

I've been having great fun recently with a flamethrower for killing weeds. Not so effective for stuff deeper in the ground though!

A more manly method.