TF Sound Insulation?

jayc89

Our Architect is recommending we construct our extension in timber frame. The pros of doing so are not lost on me, especially the time it takes to build on site! However, as I understand it, sound insulation can be a concern, specifically it's not as good at reducing outdoor noise as a traditional brick/block or ICF solution would be.

For those that have opted for timber frame, have you found this to be the case?

Have built a few timber frame houses now and always use acoustic insulation in the internal partition walls as this helps with sound reduction.  Always use sound block plasterboard (Blue) on ceilings and outside of bathrooms and toilets.  No reason why you could not use the sound block on all walls.  If I was doing a house for myself it is something I would definitely consider.  It is more expensive and heavier to work with but you only do it once.  I have not had any feedback on houses being noisy that I have done but it does depend on many factors like type of floor covering in upstairs etc

A timber framed house is normally encased in 4" blocks, or bricks.  Nearly every new house in Scotland has been timber framed for the last 30 or 40 years.  Use cellulose, wood fibre or dense Rockwool for best performance, PIR will give little or no sound deadening.

Windows will then be where the noise comes in.