Hi Everyone! New Self Build...

HanleeHouse

Hi All, we're currently in the process of buying a plot of land with planning permission for a large eco style home. (Passive House Standards)

I've attached a couple of photos of the proposed house. Looking forward to sharing our journey and getting lots of advice from this forum! 

We're in Telford, Shropshire. 

Many Thanks 

David & Kelly 

Edited by HanleeHouse
images

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Hi and welcome.  I think there are some rules about needing to have a few posts before you can upload pictures.

Ahh thanks for that. I'll stop trying to edit the post to try and upload them lol

welcome. very nice looking build. a few points.....make sure you think about shading with all that glazing! doesn't look like there's space for external integrated blinds with the roof line like that so maybe Sage glass would be useful? what is the cladding going to be? can't tell from the rendered images but it looks like the walls carry on up to the roof and so is the same material? no solar PV on the renders. is that part of the plan or are you not bothering? love the green roof. we have a much smaller sedum green roof and I love looking out at it, will love it even more once we've finished the house!

good luck with the purchase and I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

13 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

welcome. very nice looking build. a few points.....make sure you think about shading with all that glazing! doesn't look like there's space for external integrated blinds with the roof line like that so maybe Sage glass would be useful? what is the cladding going to be? can't tell from the rendered images but it looks like the walls carry on up to the roof and so is the same material? no solar PV on the renders. is that part of the plan or are you not bothering? love the green roof. we have a much smaller sedum green roof and I love looking out at it, will love it even more once we've finished the house!

good luck with the purchase and I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Thanks for the advice! There is a lot of glazing! 

Cladding - Standing Seam Zinc for walls and Roof

Solar - We absolutely want to maximise the amount of solar that we have. Need to confirm with the architect details. Solar is in the plan but just need confirmation on the details with that. The design document for planning actually states "Solar PV-T" panels with an Earth Energy Bank to conserve energy in the summer months for use in winter. Can't find much information on this tech though. Would be open to adding wind energy too. 

Green Roof - Ours is a huge area of green roof! Can I ask where you got yours from? Do you recommend? Ours will be Sedum too. 

I saw your project briefly, I will have a closer look this evening!

1764026408_Screenshot2022-06-30at18_48_21.png

@HanleeHouse  looks very smart, I also have garage envy. 

A couple of points:

With all that glazing it will overheat, if you run the design through the PHPP (or similar) you’ll get an idea of how bad it may be. I reckon external blinds will be a ‘must’ at the very least. 

Standing seam zinc looks sharp but in our experience pigeons love to sit on the nice warm ridge and turn that sharp  black ridge in to a bird sh*t encrusted mess. Spiders also love our standing seams I clean the outside of our house with a brush on an extending pole several times a year - I hadn’t bargained on that. 

Good luck with the project. 

Looks interesting and wishing you atb.

To me your solar shade overhangs are far too vestigial (1m approx?) to impact solar heating to any extent. The real problem with PHs is low sun in the shoulder months - autumn / spring. That, I think, requires a rethink.

I'm planning an overheating prevention veranda, and I will be going out about 3-5m on the S side.

I also have a bungalow with a 1m overhang over a full height window wall on the S side put in by my dad in 1970. That was 2g from the start, and the demands are now more stringent, due to 3g and airtightness. In simple terms, imo you roughly need the shadow line at whatever time of year to be outside the bottom of the window. 

Also, I thought para 79 was "open country", whereas that site seems to be in a village margin type built-up area with all those neighbours. How does that work?

At this point I am not convinced by "Earth Energy Banks" - is this just a warmed over "Seasonal Heat Store", which were tried over 20 years and found to be unjustifiable in normal circumstances. Where's the robust science? To me - until I see some proof - it sounds like an expensive gimmick for the gulllibles.

One issue with blinds is that may make the inside dark? Q to others - does this happen?

F

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

One issue with blinds is that may make the inside dark? Q to others - does this happen?

No. Our blinds are constructed of a fine black mesh that are only down when the sun is trying to get in, i.e. when it’s bright outside. 

Whilst they do reduce the amount of light entering the room it is almost unnoticeable. From the inside looking out it can be hard to see that they are down and they are very effective at preventing overheating. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HanleeHouse said:

The design document for planning actually states "Solar PV-T" panels with an Earth Energy Bank to conserve energy in the summer months for use in winter. Can't find much information on this tech though

Welcome.

There is a reason that you cannot find that much about it, it does not work as sold.  Green bling.

There is some research done in Colorado which is often touted as the proof needed.  Quick look at an atlas will show you that Denver is a lot further south than even Cornwall. The weather regime is also very different to the western side of the UK.

Just go for regular PV, roof integrated, and store the excess energy in a thermal store.

Edited by SteamyTea

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic. But you'll end up needing to half the amount of glass of you want a sensibly comfortable house built to PH standards. We've quite a lot of glass on the south elevation (4x6m glass wall), but make up for it by having virtually none on the east and west gables. 

As others have also said, roof integrated PV is the way forward. And ASHP of course.

Nice design, but not sure how practical for a passivhaus.  Has a passivhaus designer drawn up the design?

I think overall you may struggle to get passivhaus heating requirements, your perimeter to floor space ratio is the wrong end of the scale, three long oblongs, with lots of room in roof;  when the ideal shape is a single cube.  Your U values will all need to be sub 0.1 to get anywhere close.  You have lots of wall/roof to get airtight also.

The glazing will kill the thermal properties in the cold and overheat you in the spring, summer and autumn.