Stud wall sound insulation question

I have a 70mm thick stud wall to insulate for sound.

I also have a lot of 75mm rockwool sound insulation.

Is it better from a sound point of view to just fit the whole 75mm in or I could easily cut in half for 37.5mm thick with an airgap?

I seem to remember it is best to have an air gap and if I slice in half it will go twice as far. Presumably 50mm with a 20mm gap would be best but trying to work best with what I have.

I don't agree. Sound insulation isn't dense enough to transfer sound by impact/reverberation through to the next room. In any case the stud is probably doing that. For higher frequencies and especially airborne sound, keep the full thickness.

Especially make sure the full area us filled to the edges as sound leaks through gaps.

I put in full rockwool inside the stud between 2 bedrooms, acoustic putty behind the wall power socket and after fitting 12.5mm Fermacell on the side I tore open, acoustic sealant at the bottom. You could double up the plasterboard or use a resilient channel to further deflect/attenuate sound instead of Fermacell. Rockwool is cheap, do it once! 

I’ve ended up using some left over air tightness tape around the sockets. Has to be better than nothing. 
presumably it is the airborne transmission of sound this is dealing with mostly.