Battery power for WIFI router

pstunt

I need to power a wifi / 4G router on my plot, which is in a rural location, for a few months until I get mains power. 

As an experiment I have connected up the router to a 12V powerbank and managed to get over 24 hours of connectivity, which is a worst-case solution, as I have a few of these and can replace them each day. Although I am on site most days I would like to come up with a better solution. I was considering possibly a leisure battery ( or 2 ) which could either be taken away and recharged or perhaps a solar panel solution. The geek part of me wants to go down the solar route but I have to remember that it should only be for a few months and the outlay wont be worth large expense. I appreciate the term "large expense" is subjective.

I would appreciate any suggestions. The router states it's 9v and .8 amps.

Thanks

Just now, JohnMo said:

Use your phone, instead of a router, or sit the the 4G router in you car, powered from your car.

Thanks, that's what I have been doing up until now but I want the wifi router to carry out two main functions. The first to allow me to carry out my day job when I am on site. Using a hotpsot of a phone is not as convenient as an always available wifi connection. For sure, the car solution would work but the other reason for the router is for a security camera which is connected to the internet. I have a spare Ring camera which is currently hooked up on site and works fine.

My phone can be USBed to my laptop, may be able to do the same to a router.

Though I can't see why it is not as convenient as a proper router. I use the hotspot on Mt phone as my sole interweb connection.

Top of the list 

Screenshot_20220627-122321.png

Edited by SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As @JohnMo says.

Phone if you want to run it permanently on site (my old Motorola E will last a couple if days). Can always get a solar powered battery bank. They allow a secondary power input i.e. more solar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294702432459

Thanks, I do have an old phone I can try but I am doubting the hotspot signal will be strong enough or reliable but I am charging the phone now and will give it a go. My experience on my phone with hotspots is that they often disconnect or dont reconnect if you move away and then come back, which is something I do all the time.

How much current does the router draw? It will be written on the mains adaptor or label on the router. 

Or how big is the power bank you tried? That figure might be more useful.

Edited by Temp

16 minutes ago, Temp said:

How much current does the router draw? It will be written on the mains adaptor or label on the router. 

Or how big is the power bank you tried? That figure might be more useful.

The router states it's 9v and .8 amps. and the powerbank was 26000mah.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

7.2 W.

I light up my house with less.

House light only has to travel a few meters, whereas mobile signal may need to travel many miles and multiple frequencies, and at 100s of Mb/s on today's networks. Is it a surprise a decent router (or even a mobile phone) may use more power than a light bulb.

If you did get a cheap 2nd hand solar panel, say 200W, and use a scrapyard 12V car battery with an ebay solar charger you've got something that could be worth keeping to power this and any future router (as a UPS). I'd say this was worth doing if you had somewhere (e.g shed roof) to put it.

17 minutes ago, joth said:

House light only has to travel a few meters, whereas mobile signal may need to travel many miles and multiple frequencies, and at 100s of Mb/s on today's networks. Is it a surprise a decent router (or even a mobile phone) may use more power than a light bulb.

The actual energy that goes into the air is modest, a couple of watts at most. It's the losses in switching the transistors that create the radio signal that make up bulk of the power consumption. The faster that transistors are switched, the more heat they generate. 2.4gHz is more power efficient than 5gHz and cell phones use from 0.8gHz to 2.6gHz so give quite a varied battery life depending on type of use and proximity to the cell tower.

21 minutes ago, Radian said:

If you did get a cheap 2nd hand solar panel, say 200W, and use a scrapyard 12V car battery with an ebay solar charger you've got something that could be worth keeping to power this and any future router (as a UPS). I'd say this was worth doing if you had somewhere (e.g shed roof) to put it.

I like this idea, and whilst it probably isnt the most cost effective way to go it would be an interesting project for me. I would need to do some research on how to set this up so can anyone recommend any sites that I can get some guidance. I have plenty of space so would probably ground mount the panel for now.

I would happily buy new and decent kit if it was something I can use afterwards. I do have a very large shed nearby that could do with some lighting but thats a whole different project. The point being, is there any recommendations as to what type of panel or controller ? I see the victron name used by others for the controller.

I use a 10A 12/24V charge controller (£60) with a single 250W panel (around £100) and a 24V 10Ah LiFePO4 battery (£115) for my garden lights - but you would be better off with a 12v 22Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery

These batteries are much more reliable. I guarantee you will only get 2 years max. out of a car or leisure battery whereas these could give you 10 years or more.

6108y3t474L._SX522_.jpgslaumxli22-12s-frt-30-em-c21.jpg

Ebay do £10 solar controllers, that claim to be mppt.  They are not, but work fine, just at lower effectiveness.  For more money you get real mppt from victron or renogy(£70).  Real mppt will allow a higher PV voltage, and will optimise for it, the cheapie ones demand a ‘12v ready’ panel.  

This time of year we get an average over 10kWh/day from our 4kWp solar.  So a 100W panel, on average, could give over 10W, in summer, so long as your battery was big enough to ride through a day of rain(a 1kWh car batt is loads).  Totally agree to go bigger than that, 200W, and cheapie controller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134114306097?hash=item1f39d5e831:g:X8sAAOSw2nZiY9VV

11 minutes ago, RobLe said:

10kWh/day

I am confused with that unit.

10 (OK) k (OK) W (OK) h (hour, or 3600 seconds) day (24 h or 86,400 seconds).

So 10kW x (3600 / 86400) = 0.417 kW

I would expect more from a 4 kWp system this time of year.  50% more.

36 minutes ago, RobLe said:

Real mppt will allow a higher PV voltage, and will optimise for it, the cheapie ones demand a ‘12v ready’ panel.

Yes, that's why I opted for a 24V battery. Much better fit for a 250W panel as the battery max out at 28V. Also all the LED lighting is switch-mode so the current is halved in the 100m+ cabling.

I don't know if @pstunt can power the router directly from 12V or if it demands 9V maximum. Usually the switch-mode input would permit that range. Anyway I thought 24V would be pushing it so said to go for 12V.

If an additional regulator was needed (12V->9V) then that could be spec'd for 24V->9V and therefore make use of the 24V battery. So much choice!

55 minutes ago, Radian said:

I don't know if @pstunt can power the router directly from 12V or if it demands 9V maximum. Usually the switch-mode input would permit that range. Anyway I thought 24V would be pushing it so said to go for 12V.

If an additional regulator was needed (12V->9V) then that could be spec'd for 24V->9V and therefore make use of the 24V battery. So much choice!

I am not sure. All I can say is that it works fine using a powerbank such as this one ( Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800mAh Portable Charger with Dual Input Port and Double-Speed Recharging, 3 USB Ports External Battery for iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, Android and Other Smart Devices : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo ) Albeit a much earlier version. Is a regulator likely to be a super expensive addition, if needed ? How would I know I would need one ? 

6 minutes ago, pstunt said:

I am not sure. All I can say is that it works fine using a powerbank such as this one ( Anker Power Bank, PowerCore 26800mAh Portable Charger with Dual Input Port and Double-Speed Recharging, 3 USB Ports External Battery for iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, Android and Other Smart Devices : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo ) Albeit a much earlier version. Is a regulator likely to be a super expensive addition, if needed ? How would I know I would need one ? 

Powerbanks are 5V ish. 

If using a battery with a voltage much higher than the 9V the router is designed for I would use a DC to DC converter module to drop it down to 9V.

Something like this. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BGTXINGI-Voltage-Converter-Adjustable-Step-Down/dp/B08PNV2GXT/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?crid=NO3LGISDDE5R&keywords=24%2F12v+to+9V+dc&qid=1656347091&s=industrial&sprefix=24%2F12v+to+9v+dc+%2Cindustrial%2C141&sr=1-18-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMFpSV1pHNkhHQVlWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODYzNjUzTzVBWTU3VldIS1BXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NjY3NDExRVY3SVU2S1ZZWlJJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Adjust the output voltage to 9V before connecting router.

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

If using a battery with a voltage much higher than the 9V the router is designed for I would use a DC to DC converter module to drop it down to 9V.

Thanks, Temp. Your recommendation makes perfect sense although it appears that would need soldering skills ? I am willing to try but my past experiences have been shocking. 

2 hours ago, pstunt said:

Thanks, Temp. Your recommendation makes perfect sense although it appears that would need soldering skills ? I am willing to try but my past experiences have been shocking. 

There are some with screw terminals. Lead time is a bit long on this one.. and you only get one for £10..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akozon-Converter-Adjustable-6-5V-60V-1-25-30V/dp/B07H5MC6V3/ref=sr_1_91?keywords=24%2F12v+to+9V+dc&qid=1656356353&s=industrial&sr=1-91

Probably similar on ebay.