So after 8 years I'm finally having to repoint the patio as the original Weatherpoint 365 has reached a point where it's pretty much given up. The patio is cut sandstone of various sizes covering 93sqm.

I have a couple of questions if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their experience...

1. The joints in some places are quite deep in places and not in others (ranging from 20mm to 55mm). I'd rather not use the expensive compound to fill in the unevenness if I don't have to as it will get expensive very quickly. I've read I can pack/level the bottom of the joints with sand as long as the compound exceeds the minimum recommended depth. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just pack the whole joint with compound? Some pics attached.

2. Weatherpoint 365 seems to be a lot more expensive than other products. After 8 years, is there anything as good for less. It's lasted a long time and I like the consistency of it (it's quite gritty and the grey has nice colour contrast of light and dark particles) but I'm assuming more stuff has come onto the market since that may be as good/better. If it's the 'best' then I'll probably just suck it up and use it again, but would be good to get some thoughts giv en the area I'm working with.

Thanks in advance

20220627_110837.jpg

20220627_100336.jpg

I'm not a massive fan of the jointing compounds and prefer traditional sand / cement.

If that's not an option and if you are going to use the same as previously, I'd look to partially fill any "deep" voids with a finer aggregate / grit, and not sand. I'd say sand is likely to be washed out over time leaving a void below your new grout fill, causing a collapse to some extent.

Any areas where the depth of voids is more tolerable can be re-pointed with your compound of choice most likely.