Hello,

I'm self building an extension and I'd like help!

First question:

How do a get a level threshold and avoid thermal bridging with triple track sliding doors on a block and beam floor with a steel sway frame?

A manufacturer has sent me this:

image.thumb.jpeg.83f9bd5b8a4a0e44f5d15763d09ffb60.jpeg

But, none of those details match my own.

I have Building Regs Approval (with Engineers calcs done) to build this:

image.thumb.jpeg.2ce39e5ee48e6d2a6c28d3edfcfdd300.jpeg

I've started "building" it in Sketchup:

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5a0000180d21cceb79576a682c1c80.jpeg

I've looked at previous threads and the answer seems to be use Compacfoam.  

However, I'm not building a Passive House and I'm looking at alternatives,

The steel sway frame is shown below:

image.jpeg.f2da1e1079b2515ba6897ffd41f61947.jpeg

I've shown the block and beam almost spanning the cavity.  Then I thought of using thermalite coarsing blocks along the floor to get the correct level. Then adding timber on the vertical reveals fixed to the steel as a cavity closer (with vertical DPC).

image.jpeg.3a6a4f965838a192c303a70c2bb7d0d0.jpeg

Would that work?

I think the compact foam is their attempt to stop thermal bridging.

Ideally you would extend the insulation you are putting on the B&B under the track but I suspect it needs more support. Ask the company if you can used a wider and thicker foam?

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

That almost looks too strong 🙂 I think wall blocks are 2.4N/mm^2 to 40N/mm^2 where as that 310 N/mm^2. Perhaps they measure it differently.

I would ask the door supplier what they recommend for the location marked with an arrow below. Does it have to be block work or can it be some sort of insulation and what strength? My guess is they will say blockwork.

ZZZZZZZ.thumb.jpg.68f81adfa859d0ce59a2877c59b6a6e2.jpg

Thanks Temp. They want a concrete fill in the cavity because I think they fix into that. I'm thinking all insulation is redundant in those pictures apart from that perimeter insulation and the insulation below the screed (aluminium track).

14 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

Could you not use thermoblock?

That has huge load bearing capacity and is an insulator in itself.

Looks like a great product thanks.

I've had a search but I can't see if that can be screwed into?

Also, what about the side jambs?

In the video they just return the blockwork to close the cavity whilst in the detail below they use compacfoam:

image.jpeg.56f3f2cfa76a35b5cea775497309b66c.jpeg

I have a vertical steel so I was thinking of just using a 50x200 timber fixed to the steel, with DPC against the outer blockwork.  I asked the manufacturer if they would fix into timber and they said yes.

Any thoughts?

image.thumb.jpeg.dcf94f0096d8f0ec9aa6828bfdd3fef0.jpeg

Apparently, timber in the cavity is a no go so the answer is to use the structural foam instead. I'm thinking I should still have 4x2 timber on the face of the steel as shown below. Anyone done this?

image.jpeg.ec64ba503dbd6da7672f4f67c004493c.jpeg

Same for the header:

Edited by Lift span
spelling.

Outer course of blocks/bricks replace with thermolite blocks, keep the 20mm compacfoam or just replace with PIR, not sure it's there for any structural reason at the threshold.  Or replace the compacfoam/cast concrete details with a full depth compacfoam and thermolite outer skin.

38 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Outer course of blocks/bricks replace with thermolite blocks, keep the 20mm compacfoam or just replace with PIR, not sure it's there for any structural reason at the threshold.  Or replace the compacfoam/cast concrete details with a full depth compacfoam and thermolite outer skin.

I hadn't thought about doing the outer in thermolite. I'm doing a sand and cement render on the outside and assumed the lightweight blocks wouldn't work but it seems you can! Yes, so certainly above DPC but I may well do below that thanks.