Dave, you probable have the perfect demonstration of the massive importance of decrement delay, with your mobile home that has a very low decrement delay, and your new build with a pretty long decrement delay.  I'm personally very convinced that having a high decrement delay results in a far more comfortable home.  I suspect that gradually this will filter down and become common knowledge.

Really interesting thread. 

Do we have a definitive list of the ASHP which have been successfully achieved cooling mode?

I've currently specified a Samsung unit but haven't been able to find any information about its cooling mode (if it has one!).

They will all cool and heat, as they have to switch to cooling mode in order to defrost when in heating mode.  The key is finding out how to enable cooling, as the manufacturers keep quiet about it, as any ASHP that can run in cooling mode isn't eligible for RHI payments.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

They will all cool and heat, as they have to switch to cooling mode in order to defrost when in heating mode.  The key is finding out how to enable cooling, as the manufacturers keep quiet about it, as any ASHP that can run in cooling mode isn't eligible for RHI payments.

Yes sorry. Sloppy typing. Do we have a definitive list of ASHP's where enabling cooling has been achieved?

We know that all the Carrier models can, which is Carrier, Kingspan, Glowworm and a few others, plus all the Panasonic models will, as well.  I'm sure that the Samsung will, but the key will be finding data from outside the UK, as, because of the RHI, manufacturers are not exactly forthcoming with regard to the full capabilities of models they sell as heating systems.  Often the heating system models will use the same control systems as the air con models (they almost certainly use the same core heat pump), so there may be a way to identify how to run cooling mode by looking at similar spec air con units.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Dave, you probable have the perfect demonstration of the massive importance of decrement delay, with your mobile home that has a very low decrement delay, and your new build with a pretty long decrement delay.  I'm personally very convinced that having a high decrement delay results in a far more comfortable home.  I suspect that gradually this will filter down and become common knowledge.

Yes indeed we do. Not only is the insulation amount very poor in the caravan, it is of a low decrement delay type.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Do we have a definitive list of ASHP's where enabling cooling has been achieved?

May be worth starting a new topic on this, then people that have managed cooling mode can post up ho wit was done on different models.

It would be a very useful resource, especially if the manual was uploaded as well.

The Mitsubishi Ecodan that I have has a cooling mode which can be activated by changing a dip switch in the control module, and can then be programmed / operated from the main controller. The manual identifies both the dip switch setting and the control menu tree. Just have to get round to trying it...

56 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

May be worth starting a new topic on this, then people that have managed cooling mode can post up ho wit was done on different models.

It would be a very useful resource, especially if the manual was uploaded as well.

Tags updated for future searches.

Edited by Stones
Typos

10 hours ago, Stones said:

One small footnote, my understanding is that PHPP modelling only considers internal air temps of 25C and above as overheating / there being a cooling requirement. 23C is my target maximum

@Stones I noticed this, you can change the settings and put in a lower temperature to gat a more realistic prediction, though for Passive Haus certification they only design to 25oC.

Attached is the wiring diagram I drew up for our 7kW Glowworm, which is really a re-badged Carrier, and that was also sold here as the Kingspan Aeromax.  Control is via dry 12V contacts accessed from a terminal strip inside the unit.  Adding remote switch/relay contacts as shown activates the various functions.  This diagram also shows the optional switched mains outlets are available, to control motorised valves, pumps etc.

I ran a multicore control cable out to the unit, together with the mains power cable, with a small box with some relays to activate the various functions.

577b9521ba681_ASHPwiringdiagram-small.thumb.JPG.84bff1391e9aa3dccd307e55b656534c.JPG

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Now why couldn't I find that document! :( such a Luddite :) 

So it seems that cooling is a standard setting? Not hidden at all? Can I really be that lucky with my choice? 

See luddite and sceptic all in one slightly overweight package!!