Internal VCL with SIPs

JAS-Build

Trying to decide whether to fit an internal VCL for our SIPs build... 

How essential is an internal VCL to achieve airtightness and maintain the health of the internal OSB sheets on the SIP panels?

Our building inspector seems to think polythene sheeting would suffice? 

I'm thinking something like Tyvek Airguard Reflective or Novia VC200 Reflective. 

Thoughts welcome please? 

JAS

We are using the Intello product for ours, mainly because it has the capacity to be two way and is strong enough to contain the blown insulation. When we had a WuFi analysis done there was a section on the North wall where it could get difficult but with the Intello it all worked out OK. 

Edited by MikeSharp01
product name wrong

1 hour ago, LA3222 said:

I fitted one and achieved 0.2ACH. The technical docs say you don't have to fit one, I saw it as erring on the side of caution. If doing a build again, I would still install a VCL. I think @SuperJohnGfitted one with his SIP build too.

Thank you for this reply. 

What product did you go with please? 

2 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

I went intello also. Bought from Germany 🇩🇪.  Just done today.

20220625_135010.jpg

20220625_135008.jpg

How did you find it in the end? Its easy enough but I found it repetitive and tedius. Cutting PIR insulation is a horrible job - gets everywhere.

6 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

How did you find it in the end? Its easy enough but I found it repetitive and tedius. Cutting PIR insulation is a horrible job - gets everywhere.

I started myself and done a room...was long but today my mate helped who runs a company and brought 7 guys with him. Done full house nearly in a day. Maybe done 90% which has saved me maybe 2 months. 

• Like 1

I used the Protect Barriair, very similar to the Intello but without the webbing built in so not quite as strong, but a lot cheaper.  TIP:  This comes with built in adhesive tape but do not trust that, use a good air tight tape as well at the jonints.  This comes in a 2 metre wide roll.

Airtight_1.thumb.jpg.2af0348d591c71159d94fef06eb25037.jpg

8 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I started myself and done a room...was long but today my mate helped who runs a company and brought 7 guys with him. Done full house nearly in a day. Maybe done 90% which has saved me maybe 2 months. 

Nice one bud. That's a stroke of luck being able to get that job nipped so quick👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Nice one bud. That's a stroke of luck being able to get that job nipped so quick👍

For sure. Now I'm left to wrestle the airtightness though...these bloody vaulted ceilings are going to be lovely, but they are murder. 

4 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

For sure. Now I'm left to wrestle the airtightness though...these bloody vaulted ceilings are going to be lovely, but they are murder. 

I started at the ridge, fixed a strip of AT membrane in place with a batten (start of service void) then worked down the wall. All single handed.  It does feel like trying to put up a massive tent from the inside.

Airtight_10.thumb.jpg.235bb88a2770b7d80d973a28f600130f.jpg

Scaffold down the middle to work from and reach the ridge, worked from planks and trestles lower down.

If the service void battens don't line up with the self adhesive joints, tape with proper AT tape.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Excellent. Now get your DIY blower door fan rigged up and you're sorted. 

Mostly marketing.

There can be a benefit to using them in attic spaces below lightweight roofs in very sunny climates to reflect some heat away and reduce overheating. 

In theory when paired with a suitable airspace internally the reflect some heat back into the house. The effect is miniscule however.

I'd just make sure you buy a robust and durable membrane. I was quite happy with this one. 

https://justairtight.ie/f-air-tightness®-membrane-EXTRA-1-5-x-50m-CE-certified-p161302002