agreeing on external wall finishes

gaz_moose

I submitted a planning application for building a flat roof detached garage on my side lawn which runs alongside the road. The planning department only got their knickers in a twist about it needing to be further away from the road so I jiggled the plans around to facilitate this and resubmitted as I had discussed with them thinking I was onto a winner, now they have come back saying they are happy with everything except the external finish. 

Only 2 sides of the garage will be seen from the road so I had planned to build it from 100mm blocks and clad the boundary side walls in shiplap and add a matching set of gates / fence. so it matched every other side fence around here. now they want the whole thing building from bricks that are similar to the house which blows my budget to pieces as it makes the walls something like 8 times more expensive. They are happy for the bricks to be clad in shiplap still 😆 which make no sense at all. 

How the hell do I move forward on this one?,  they are currently awaiting my response. I did hint that I couldn't afford the brick option but they didn't buckle 😪 

Assuming you don’t have any site restrictions, they shouldn’t get into telling you what you’re allowed to clad it with.

You could go down the brick slip route.

If some of your house already had some timber cladding, then you could argue you are now matching the house.

Are you in a conservation zone? I assume not.

But in my case I was. And having the conservation officer visit site was key as it felt much easier to find a compromise over cladding-type face-to-face than through formal written communication. We walked around the vicinity with me pointing out the broad range of cladding types on neighbouring building. This enabled me to suggest my chosen solution, while pointing my finger at an example on a neighbouring dwelling.

i literally live on a red brick, brown windows style 1980's Barrett housing estate so it should be fairly plain sailing.

The current boundary is a 2m high brick wall that i want to move forward to create extra space in the back garden for the garage so had to apply for planning for that, So figured i would include the garage build in the planning application to stay above board and so i could build it a bit bigger.

I was trying to make the external side of the garage the boundary to eek out a bit of extra space.

its just annoying that their bright idea is to 'just' build it out of brick, as i had planned to build it myself and am confident i can lay blocks to an acceptable standard but bricks are a whole next level. 

12 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

They are happy for the bricks to be clad in shiplap

If that is the case, just show shiplap.  It is only the external finishes that are planning matters.  Different for Building Regs, where they may want something non-combustible.

This is what they said,

Hi Gary

I have discussed your proposal with my team leader and we are prepared to accept the new position of the garage but you will need to include a brick finish and you would need to plant a hedge or have some sort of planting scheme between the rear of the garage/the fencing and the pavement. Please can you have another go at the plan to include the 2m high fence and a hedge or other such planting that would provide green screening.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Mr Poo Poo Head

I suppose they they have spotted the cladding is 2m high to match the fences and the building is 2.4m high which leaves me a bit at the top. I figured that i would have a bit of EPDM roof and 200mm of cladding to span most of the gap.