Ladders against gutters... And what to do when getting onto a roof ladder?

Oxbow16

Hi

I'm back with my second ladder question...  

I must admit, I usually just lean my ladder against the gutters and I've not had a problem yet.  But I can see that a stand off is a better idea, and at the same time will make working easier.  So I'm going to get myself one.  

But I've got some roof work to do soon and will be getting a roof "hook" ladder for that.  I know the ground ladder should extend around a metre passed the gutter to make it easier / safer to step across.   But I can't imagine that would work well with the stand off.  So what do people do?  Put the ground ladder against the gutters?  Or is there a better/safer way to do it and avoid using the gutters?  

Many thanks

I sized my roof ladder so it sticks out beyond the roof by 2 feet or so, the angle of the ground ladder means the top will be enough in over the roof for a safe pass even using a standoff. You can position the standoff on a lower rung so the ladder only just misses the guttering. On the roof ladder I wrapped the bars that rest on the slates with pipe insulation to reduce risk of snapped slates as your weight does get concentrated on the one closest to you as you move up and down the ladder,

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 21:37, Conor said:

Hire / buy an alloy scaffold tower that will get you to roof level. Million times better.

What I have done, takes about half an hour to set it up, but once up, life is easy.

600 quid well spent and it fits easily in the back of the C-Max.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  Good call RE the tower, and I had planned to get a small one for some other work we need to do.  Perhaps for any extensive work on the roof I would set up the tower, but for just nipping up there I'd use the extension ladder to roof ladder.   And I guess it depends which roof too, as we have both single and double storey height roofs...  

Cheers