Solar Edge Battery

Pocster

22 minutes ago, joth said:

Ok if you have 8kW of PV this seems a bit more feasible. Only requires 3-4 hours of full sun rather than 8!

To confirm you started yesterday with both batteries completely empty, and charged them both from solar? Nice.

You can only charge the PW at 4kW (PV inverter rate limited) so yeah the logic needed to get them both charged up in the most efficient way is nontrivial.

Yes

one thing that confuses me ; I’ve gone from a 4K pv array to 8k . Yet my pv generation is clipped at 3.66k ( due to inverter I assume ) . So what’s the real benefit of 4K over 8k in this situation? . Naturally my understanding is probably the flaw 😁🙄

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Thats tremendous @pocster

Useful thread to help folk like me who plan a similar approach in a year or so when we've saved up a bit of money.

Would you mind me asking  what the battery costs are - roughly ?

12k ( the invoice doesn't break that down ). So that's an additional 4k PV with optimisers, new inverter, SE 10k battery, scaffolding, labour etc. ( no vat of course ).

Also of course I have my original PW and PV costs.

Installer told me wait for a Tesla is 18months and SE 9 months. They accept the deposit but can't guarantee the price; so if in 18 months time the price has inflated ( which we can assume it will ) then you get your deposit back. Equally, they can't guarantee stock that far in the future. Personally I'd find an installer - pay the deposit and wait ( to save!) at least you are in the very long queue.

@pocster you are fabulous. 23kW storage! brilliant. sadly our finances are dwindling fast due to the stupid material prices at the moment and so I've had to cut back our battery storage to a measly 6.4kW for now. but the system I've purchased is expandable so I can add extra batteries at a later date to give more storage. but 6.4kW will do for now I think.

I look forward to the day when I can attain the level of your awesomeness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

@pocster you are fabulous. 23kW storage! brilliant. sadly our finances are dwindling fast due to the stupid material prices at the moment and so I've had to cut back our battery storage to a measly 6.4kW for now. but the system I've purchased is expandable so I can add extra batteries at a later date to give more storage. but 6.4kW will do for now I think.

You were always my favourite! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

6.4 is better than none . In summer when you aren’t using what you generate, battery full you’ll be exporting . Then as night sets in; swmbo , kids , will eat through 6.4kw in minutes ! 

47 minutes ago, pocster said:

6.4 is better than none . In summer when you aren’t using what you generate, battery full you’ll be exporting . Then as night sets in; swmbo , kids , will eat through 6.4kw in minutes ! 

yeah. I know. but the beauty of the Squirrel Pod system is the expandability. so it's trivial to plug in another couple of batteries to double the capacity when funds allow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Talking of a bit rich...

(Do I sound jealous? I am 😂 )

My mum told me “ don’t trust a man that won’t show you his pants “ . I’ve not seen yours so I don’t trust your comments. Photo of pants first please .

On 28/06/2022 at 10:17, pocster said:

Yes

one thing that confuses me ; I’ve gone from a 4K pv array to 8k . Yet my pv generation is clipped at 3.66k ( due to inverter I assume ) . So what’s the real benefit of 4K over 8k in this situation? . Naturally my understanding is probably the flaw 😁🙄

I shall answer my own question!

My new array can generate more than 3.68kw . So in a Tesla world any generation greater than that would be clipped . As the SE is DC it can take generation above that . So clipping will only occur when SE is full and generation is greater than 3.68kw .

If I wait patiently someone will be along to spoil my understanding.

Edited by pocster

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Probably best, saves us reading all the way back to the beginning - picking up all the details, filtering out the various side eddies (where eddy = onoff), endeavouring to work out what the question was and try to frame an answer while sustaining the will to live and giving a dam. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

My new array can generate more than 3.68kw . So in a Tesla world any generation greater than that would be clipped . As the SE is DC it can take generation above that . So clipping will only occur when SE is full and generation is greater than 3.68kw .

If I wait patiently someone will be along to spoil my understanding.

Correct. So you should try to limit the rate of charging the SE battery until PW is full, otherwise you risk filling the SE first and then wasting energy due to the inverter limit.

Did you try and get a G99 approval and denied? I'm really surprised that buying a replacement inverter and going for two batteries you'd stick with the default DNO limit. 

13 minutes ago, joth said:

Correct. So you should try to limit the rate of charging the SE battery until PW is full, otherwise you risk filling the SE first and then wasting energy due to the inverter limit.

Did you try and get a G99 approval and denied? I'm really surprised that buying a replacement inverter and going for two batteries you'd stick with the default DNO limit. 

I think that is exactly what happens . SE fills first ( but it would / it’s on the PV side of the inverter ) . I *think* PW will only get PV when SE is full . 
DNO wouldn’t give me anymore . 3.68 on inverter AND a PW ( effectively an inverter also ?!????! ) .

In my locality you wouldn’t get that now . Tbh - export I don’t care about .

This is what throws me !

SE full - very little Pv 

Pw thinks it’s all solar ….

So Tesla app ‘solar ‘ is only real solar when SE full , otherwise it’s ‘solar ‘ is solar + SE discharge .

Real PV is what SE app shows .

Both apps show grid import ( though measure it differently ! ) regardless of who imports . 

61B127FB-B337-4970-8760-510F41D011B2.png

C877CF9B-FA15-4D85-874A-BB8BA9E34EC4.png

Believe me I don't want to go raining on anyone's parade but I sincerely wish I understood the economics of battery storage in today's market. 10kWh of leccy for £12K?

£3's worth.

OK, so absolute best case brim it with solar and displace the grid when the sun ain't shining, every day of the year and 10 years later @30p/kWh. you break even. Possibly a more attractive 6 1/2 years @50p/kWh. If it goes even higher than that there will be many other things to worry about. But, I mean, best case...

P.S.@pocster 'raining on anyone's parade' is not meant to be any kind of euphemism in this context   😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Radian said:

Believe me I don't want to go raining on anyone's parade but I sincerely wish I understood the economics of battery storage in today's market. 10kWh of leccy for £12K?

£3's worth.

OK, so absolute best case brim it with solar and displace the grid when the sun ain't shining, every day of the year and 10 years later @30p/kWh. you break even. Possibly a more attractive 6 1/2 years @50p/kWh. If it goes even higher than that there will be many other things to worry about. But, I mean, best case...

P.S.@pocster 'raining on anyone's parade' is not meant to be any kind of euphemism in this context   😂

why does everything on this forum have to be about payback period? how about doing something not for financial gain/benefit but just because you want to? even if it was about payback then after 10 years @pocster is getting free electricity for the rest of the lifetime of the panels and batteries! sounds brilliant to me and if I get that I'd be very happy. but I didn't do my solar PV and batteries for any kind of payback but to reduce my reliance on the grid. 

but each to their own I guess. I know that not everyone is in the fortunate position to be able to afford to do stuff just because they want to or for another reason that isn't financial. 

anyway, @pocster is still the absolute b*llocks, as his signature reminds us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1