Driveway Apron: sub-base specification ?

ToughButterCup

We'd like to make a driveway apron from cobble sets (100 * 100 *60), about four cobbles deep. 

Since our land borders directly onto the road, I'd like to make a durable sub-base for the sets. I'm trying to find out what the specification for the apron sub-base concrete should be. I'm guessing ST5, about 150mm deep - and possibly reinforced.  (defined here). I've looked in loads of places to see if there is a relevant Standard to which we should work, but can't find one.   Here for example is the relevant NHBC Standard which mentions, but doesn't cover the issue in any depth.

Can anyone point me to a set of Standards, or Design Guidelines, please?

Thanks

Your council website should have the spec, the apron section in Scotland gets taken over by council, so has to be road spec, it also needs an approved installer to do it.  Not anyone is allowed to do it.

If this will be on your side of the boundary take a look at the Paving Expert website (especially check the index). Looks of details in how to build everything related to paving and driveways. Apart from the base the next most important is lateral restraint for edges and corners.

If it's in the public highway side you will need to find council/highways guidance. Same dept as for dropped kerb applications probably.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

If this will be on your side of the boundary take a look at the Paving Expert website (especially check the index). Looks of details in how to build everything related to paving and driveways. Apart from the base the next most important is lateral restraint for edges and corners.

If it's in the public highway side you will need to find council/highways guidance. Same dept as for dropped kerb applications probably.

well worth having his book on the shelf - it's good...

• Like 2