Planning approved, started renovation, but don’t want a chimney stack.

Heavenly

Hi, I got approval for planning permission in a conservation area. The house was built in the late 1960s and is in red brick.

Works: a double storey extension and the reorientation of the roof (new) parallel to the road.

As part of the schedule of works I asked my builder to include removal the chimney breast from inside the house as it was taking up too much room. As a consequence it meant no chimney stack, this doesn’t bother me. I asked my architect he did seem to think it was a problem.

However, I am now worried that once the build is completed someone will notice that the house is missing a chimney stack.

I would be grateful for some guidance. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Heavenly

Submit a non material change application to the planners and see what they say. I think any change like that in a conservation area will require approval.

Is it prominent? E.g. an external stack that goes high above the roofline? Is is a defining feature of the property and others near by? Or is it an internal stack with just a short stub on the roof? If the latter you probably won't have an issue... Worst case you might have to fit a fibreglass copy.

11 minutes ago, Conor said:

Submit a non material change application to the planners and see what they say. I think any change like that in a conservation area will require approval.

Is it prominent? E.g. an external stack that goes high above the roofline? Is is a defining feature of the property and others near by? Or is it an internal stack with just a short stub on the roof? If the latter you probably won't have an issue... Worst case you might have to fit a fibreglass copy.

Thank you for your reply, the external stack is fairly short in height. See plan shot

96A00804-A7B5-4C5C-A70A-7B2FF1DAC122.jpeg

Thank you Mr Punter, but how would a chimney stack be installed without a chimney breast to support it, the upper floor will be completely new, the existing ground will have the old chimney breast removed. 

Unless I get a replica stack installed as part of the build. We are a few months away from touching the existing  roof.