How many blocks a day?

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

If they’re building that 330mm substructure wall on your other thread then they’d be mad to not want it on price!!

No Brickie, not that, just wondered in general. 

out of curiosity, why would they be mad not to do it on price? 

I just got quoted over £2000 to build a small brick barbecue consisting of 360 bricks. Foundations are already in place and even the first course has already been done. I’m supplying the bricks. £2200. Madness.

15 hours ago, hendriQ said:

I just got quoted over £2000 to build a small brick barbecue consisting of 360 bricks. Foundations are already in place and even the first course has already been done. I’m supplying the bricks. £2200. Madness.

I’ll do it for £2000 😂😂

It will all depend on how good you are. If your constantly reaching for the level and checking and tap tap tapping on the wall your not going to earn much. Will also depend if you have help to stack the blocks and mix the mortar. 

Walls with loads of openings, doors and windows, will be a lot slower.

There will be days where it will look like you haven't done a thing other than build corners and set out inside walls and other days the walls fly up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hendriQ said:

Buy yourself one of these kits for £60 and do it yourself. You’ll be done in a weekend and can say “I did that..”

Bricky Pro - The Bricky Tool / Adjustable to build all standard wall sizes 4", 6" & 9". https://amzn.eu/d/6MCgJhq

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Buy yourself one of these kits for £60 and do it yourself. You’ll be done in a weekend and can say “I did that..”

Bricky Pro - The Bricky Tool / Adjustable to build all standard wall sizes 4", 6" & 9". https://amzn.eu/d/6MCgJhq

I can handle a drill, a screw driver and even a hack saw, but apart from that my DIY skills are non-existant. The most I’ve been able to build with my own two hands was a wood store with a felt roof. However, I do remember seeing an Irish bloke on tv demo-ing a similar tool and it did make it look much easier. Do you really think it’s possible for a complete novice to use this tool to lay decent bricks?

11 hours ago, hendriQ said:

Do you really think it’s possible for a complete novice to use this tool to lay decent bricks?

Yep - I’ve seen the demos at the shows and tbh they get everyone from kids y

to your granny doing it. Buy bagged mortar from Wickes/B&Q and then it’s premixed and you’ll get consistent results. This and a spirit level and take your time and you’ll be fine. 

12 hours ago, hendriQ said:

I can handle a drill, a screw driver and even a hack saw, but apart from that my DIY skills are non-existant. The most I’ve been able to build with my own two hands was a wood store with a felt roof. However, I do remember seeing an Irish bloke on tv demo-ing a similar tool and it did make it look much easier. Do you really think it’s possible for a complete novice to use this tool to lay decent bricks?

It's only for a BBQ so it doesn't have to be 100% perfect. Just use that tool and keep checking your level as you go. Have a piece of timber with nails every 75mm. You can then use this to see if your at the correct height each time. 1 or 2mm each way is no big deal.