Quote for Juliet glass - high?

Hilldes

Hi all,

I'm getting quotes for a glass balustrades for each of my three glazed gables - as in pic...

image.thumb.png.e849555051fff34ae995b36c4be9e456.png

This balustrade glass fixes to the frame of the door in the central section using fixings supplied by the window manufacturer. Four holes for each piece of glass. The Juliet the door opens in.

I have a quote from a local glazing company...

"17.5mm Clear toughened and polished edges laminated together with an external grade interlayer and holes as per diagram

3 @ 906mm x 1100mm - £1250.38+vat"

The price seem high to me - what is your view please? Anything in the specification that is not necessary - e.g. I would have assumed that 10mm toughened and laminated glass would suffice for this relatively small area.

Thoughts appreciated...

Edited by Hilldes

We just had some simple internal glass priced and it was about double what I was expecting based on previous purchases. 

Number I had in my head before scrolling down this post was £800-£900. You could underspec the glass a bit, as long as it met the BC requirements.

Edited by Conor

1 hour ago, Conor said:

We just had some simple internal glass priced and it was about double what I was expecting based on previous purchases. 

Number I had in my head before scrolling down this post was £800-£900. You could underspec the glass a bit, as long as it met the BC requirements.

Thanks Conor I must admit I’ve not looked at building regs for a while but from memory it does not specify the structural requirements for glass but each case would need to be assessed by a SE.

Exactly whatever your SE says will withstand the mi  force requirements. But we had an issue where our SE couldn't do this as they said they didn't know the qualities of the glass as it's not standard like concrete etc, and said that the glazing company would have to provide this. Good luck!

Thanks @SuperJohnG that is a useful benchmark. I've asked for quotes from the two other companies mentioned here.

The more I think about my first quote for Juliet glass - at around £500/m2 - that is about what I paid for the glazed gables themselves, which include triple gazing, frame and openings.

One of the two extra quotes came back as £638 inc VAT (which includes delivery at £96 so £544 for glass inc VAT). This is for 10mm glass which is what I specified in the drawing. I have asked of this is toughened and laminated as I specified.

The first (expensive) quote though stated that because this glass is installed without a handrail, this will need to be toughened laminated and 13.5mmm or 17.5mm thick. They had quoted for 17.5mm and said they could quote for 13.5mm but that would be around the same price.

Third quote awaited. They have suggested changes to the drawing because I had specified holes 17mm from the edge of the glass - which apparently increase risk of cracking in the tempering process. So recommend holes min 50mm from edge of glass.

• 2 weeks later...

An update for anyone specifying and purchasing similar. I got two further quotes from the suppliers linked above. Order placed with one of them for £760 including delivery. The local company I got the first quote from was not interested in competing with the other quotes.

On the specification, the consensus of all three suppliers was that 13.5mm toughened and laminated glass would be required where no handrail is fitted. Also the holes need to be a minimum of 1.5 x hole diameter from the edge.

• Like 1